Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

advice on replacing ball joint boots
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincentvangoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: advice on replacing ball joint boots Reply with quote

All,
Was under my 73 the other day replacing the center steering king pin and noticed that the ball joint boots on both sides (top and bottom) are cracked. Bus has 110K on it and the ball joints seem to be fine, there is even some grease in them when I peel back and peer inside the boot. Is it possible to replace these boots without disasebling the steering assembly- full bore? Just wondering if anyone has done this before.
Thanks
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure THOUSANDS have done it before, and I am one of them. You must separate the BJ from the steering knuckle in order
to replace the boot, no getting around it. There are numerous threads on thesamba about doing this job, you should be able to
find scads of them by using the SEARCH. The hardest thing about doing this job is finding a source for decent-quality replacement boots!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the last post said.

if the bus has a legitimate 110,000 miles which is low for a 42 year old car, (110,000 / 42 = 2619 miles a year) then the ball joints should be good for at least another 100,000 miles unless they have gotten rust and dirt inside from a torn boot. There are several threads on how different brand boots last. It changes with time so it is worth doing a search on it here.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our 1968 Westy in 1998 and the right front BJ boot was only partially there. I removed the rest and did not want to take it apart to replace the boot. So, tied a nylon panty hose on all around the BJ and greased as usual...
...has been like that for almost 17 years with no problems.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Boys boots seem to be good right now.
vincentvangoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I will track down boots from Bus Boys and also look for boot replacement threads. And yes this bus only has 110k on it. It sat in a barn in Montana for almost 20 years and was apparently used sparingly before then. Im just about done with the resto.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vincentvangoh wrote:
Thanks all. I will track down boots from Bus Boys and also look for boot replacement threads. And yes this bus only has 110k on it. It sat in a barn in Montana for almost 20 years and was apparently used sparingly before then. Im just about done with the resto.

We would love to see some pics if you would share.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
vincentvangoh wrote:

Check out the thread in the type 3 forum.

I am, working to source replacement ball joints for type 4....since they are no longer made.

In the process I, found a company that makes superb offroad and racing ball joints and tie rod end. Fully user rebuildable. They sell top notch Neoprene boots for all of their joints. Really nice stuff.

Measure you boot sizes and give them a call. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
strfish7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ray,

Would this vendor's ball joints be suitable for our buses? I like the idea of high quality, rebuildable ball joints.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strfish7 wrote:
Hey Ray,

Would this vendor's ball joints be suitable for our buses? I like the idea of high quality, rebuildable ball joints.

I doubt that they have something exact enough for type 1, 2 or 3 because of the unique nature of how they press into the arms.

If you look at Howe Racing's site....you will see that they make ball joints for a large range of US heavy detroit iron chassis that are popular with drag, bracket racing, circle track etc......as well as a range of straight up tie rods and joints used for fully built racing chassis.....and they sell welded tube chassis.

The reason I can find something to fit the type 4 chassis is that its mcpherson strut. It uses a single ball joint at the base of the strut.....bolted to the strut housing with three bolts. The stud goes into my, control arm with a normal taper pin.

In my case I can use a three bolt ball joint from a 1967-82 corvette with a simple 1" block of steel for an adapter between the steering knuckle and the ball joint...then have my taper bore reamed to slightly oversized at a machine shop.....and I would be done. It would look and act largely like factory only stronger.

That being, said.....they have a really unique range or products that MIGHT be able to be easily adapted to the bus because the bus has so much meat in its arms.

A lot of the ball joints they make for standard A-arms come in threaded and press in. Some have a, flange at the back side opposite the stud end...which is what you would want......and some have the flange at the stud end.

They make these in "threaded" versions.....meaning they have a, tool steel barrel that presses into your arm....with a HEAVY press. ....and then the joint, screws into that, thread from the stud side.....and is locked with either a snap ring or threaded nut.

If they have some like that where the threaded press in collar and the ball joint are the right, size to allow installation with only very minimal clearance machine work to the bore in your arms.....and if that joint is available in a taper that is alightly oversized to the one s in your steering knuckle.....you are in business.

They list most of the critical dimensions of all of their parts...and have options for each joint. You, can, get different ball, stud lengths, diameter and taper.....and all of their ball studs are oversized. ..like big....like VW bus big. All are fully rebuildable and have unique anti, corrosion platings on the internal parts. Ray
vincentvangoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
vincentvangoh wrote:

Will try to find some pics but noticed the request a little late today. Was out in the shop reinstalling the DuoTherm heater that still works! It sits under the jump seat behind the driver and was a bit tricky to maneuver back in place. should have known that I needed to take the seat out of the bus to accomplish this but could remember back two years ago when I did the original strip down. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: