Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas heater exhaust pipe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had 5 of these vehicles so far, all Variants, but model years '71-'74 and they all have the pipe out the right rear. I have Canadian, US and possibly a '74 European spec car.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but i was trying to figure out what these cars had when they were new.
Nobody knows what's been installed and replaced during the 40 years period these cars have been on the roads.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy awesome research!
I knew and have been finding.....so many odd things, things that are either not documented or very obscurely documented...... as you have found. .....especially lately while trying hard to finish the document for the strut cartridge modification.

The very first years of 411.....had many changes and differences from export models it appears. By export models ....I mean export from Germany. These are differences that in many cases are more than just target market and M code differences.

It begs the question.....what does very early heater look like as compared to the later export models like we have? Also....until about 3-4 years ago.....I had never seen the front trunk mounted defrost assist heater system.

As an aside note .....as I mentioned above.....and as a teaser of things to come......I have all of my photos and texts with me as I have been traveling for business over the past month. I work on the strut document every night. It will end up being a bit over 100 pages......mostly pictures.

During all of this....going through years of notebooks on all of the mods and methods that finally resulted in not only just the basic modification....but a very refined modification, I found overall that there were (as I have mentioned before) :
three totally different strut designs from the factory with a fourth sub-version that was early 1974 only as well as special adapter parts made by the factory to adapt earlier strut designs to later factory strut cartridges and vice versa.....as well as the adapter pieces made by aftermarket cartridge companies to adapt to early and late cars.

Going through 10 years of notes spanning 4 vehicles I owned and about 40 I worked on.....it was clear that at the ages the vehicles were......almost all of them had been worked on by a combination of dealer, private mechanics and owners....and most had a mixture of parts in them......and not always the correct mix.

This is what can make such a simple modification difficult for a 411or 412 owner who is not really knowledgeable about minute history of these cars.

So the first 30 pages of this document is parts identification and history. I am still misskng most of the history of the first two years of 411(1969 and 1970). We just did not see them here.....so as I collect that information from some of our European friends.....I will update the document. But there is enough information to allow early 411 drivers to understand what to measure to make this mod on their car.....or simply convert to the later "middle years" 411 and 412 design.

And......as of this week.....I found an AWESOME solution for new ball joints. It will require the making of a simple adapter block of machined metal to go between the steering knuckle and the new ball joint...and to have the taper bores in the control arms reamed to a slight oversize.
in exchange for that work......you get a ball joint that is heavier duty than stock...made for racing and offroad, is fully USER REBUILDABLE.....with all parts available including boots and is put togther by snap ring. The joints are about $80 each. As soon as aquire one and lay out the bracket.....and make sure it fits and works......I will post all of it.

I will repost all of this under the correct thread....but since we are talking about history....I thought it would be useful. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Ray, the first model year was changed heavily as the public was not responding to it as well as VW wanted. I've been thinking how i could give you the information about the front end changes i have as they are all in finnish... I have a dealer workshop manual with lots of additional pages that explain which changes were made and why and which parts are interchangeable and which changes need more parts to be changed if an update is required.
Type4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Ray.

I'm trying in English, but technical English is still diffecult for me. I'm also very long Type-4 Crazy and drove several of them since 1983.

The picture of the 69-model is a prototype. One of the first made Type 4. The really reason why the heater exhaust on the Limo must be sideways is the fact when the heater is not working correctly the smell and smoke is terrible. You want that never in your car, that why VW make it this way!!!

On the limo sideways because of the air-intake of the heater/engine is in the back.
On the wagon the muffler ending left because of otherwise in some cases it's getting too hot, when you'ré muffler on the right. It cooling down the air-intake for the engine!! (hot summer, trafficjam or trailer)
On the wagon the heater exhaust a little bit further on the back because of the air-intake of the engine sideways of the car! No discusion so far

The problem now still is that a few people know this!! On the big Type 4 Meeting in Europe we are talking a lot about several cases.
VW wasn't very straight either and with the succes of the type 4 engine in the Type 2, it's not getting easier.
They save a lot of money with one muffler for every car and because the 412 wasn't a succes, it became the muffler of the T2.
Our engines were made in Hannover, yes the VW T2 Factory.

Ton
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of this topic a bit opposite...
The Variant (wagon) models had the engine exhaust pipe on the right side of the car because the heater took it's fresh air from the left side of the car. If the cars exhaust pipe was on the left on Variant models the heater fresh air blower would suck the exhaust gases into the cabin.
Also all the part numbers show that the straight end of the heater pipe was ment for the sedans and the bent heater pipe end was for the wagons.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:
You are right Ray, the first model year was changed heavily as the public was not responding to it as well as VW wanted. I've been thinking how i could give you the information about the front end changes i have as they are all in finnish... I have a dealer workshop manual with lots of additional pages that explain which changes were made and why and which parts are interchangeable and which changes need more parts to be changed if an update is required.

I can give you a list of what I need by tomorrow. I have the exploded view....that is no problem.

The details I need are what the thicknesses of parts were in the original earlt, struts used from 1969 to july of 1970. So typically if you have a complete strut laying around.....I would need to know:

1. what the distance is between the edge of the top spring plate and bottom alspring plate is. This tells me what the overall height setting is.

I have a 99% accurate drawing of the 1969/70 bump stop spacer. That is what sets the overall height, difference between early and later struts.

2. And I know the part # of the early bump stop but do not have one....so it would be nice to know the step dimensions inside of it. I have 99% accurate dimensions for it but itcwould be nice to Verify what I have.

3. I would like to know the thickness and dish depth of the early top spring seat plate. It is the only plate made this way.

4. I would like to know the total thickness of the bonded rubber bearing cartridge

5. and the thickness of the friction shell/ring in top of it

6. I would like to know the total thickness of the top support/mount plate

7. I would like to know the thickness of the top damping ring that goes on top of the plate

8. I woule like to know the thickness of the friction ring that goes on top of the damping ring

9. I would like to know the thickness of the top dished washer/cap

10. Lastly....and this would really take care of all of it.....if I can know the total stack up thickness of all items from the underside of the top spring seat dish to the top side of the mounting plate.....it would verify everything I need to know.

The difference in the early strut and the later struts. ...really for purposes of modifying to the Audi strut cartridge......is a difference in the step distance on the factory strut and the bump stop spacer it requires. The total installed height of the strut from early to late are the same.....this is why if you damaged a strut from a 1969-70 model some years after production ended.....a dealer could install a factory catridge from July of 1970 to August 1972.....using your 1969-70 spring, spring seats, bump stop, upper hardware and strut mount...simply by changing one bushing.

This has been noted in only one text I have ever found. So from this text....I have been able to know what the step difference was between the early and late struts.
So I have been able to note any differences in the adapter stub for those who have early vehicles and want to keep all of their original springs and hardware.

I really need this just to verify. I had one example from a wreck long ago...20+ years ago....and it got discarded Crying or Very sad

The other, reason why I would like to know the total stack up thickness of each part on the top.....is that as part of this document and on my own mods.....I have found spacer areas in each strut model that can be decreased. This not only makes the strut more stable and blvibration free.....
it cumulatively lowers the height of the strut in measured amounts. I have drawings for each strut model in my document. ...that outline the improvements and small mods to make....and list the lowering to be safely gained for each model.
They range from leaving it stock to .9" which sets most cars dead level front to back.....to a total of 1.35" of lowering with just spacers and friction bearing mods......and options of up to about 1.75" of lowering if you want to modify the stub, adapter step height.

I am on my phone right now. When I sit down I will move this segment to the appropriate thread. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:
Yes, but i was trying to figure out what these cars had when they were new.
Nobody knows what's been installed and replaced during the 40 years period these cars have been on the roads.

OK, 4 out of 5 had the original pipes on them, verified. The 5th had the exact same pipe as well, but wasn't verified as original so I drew my own conclusion.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know how i misunderstood you... Yes in my opinion, all Variant models should have had the exit on the right side, exept the first Variant model year 1970.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type4ever wrote:
Many thanks Ray.

I'm trying in English, but technical English is still diffecult for me. I'm also very long Type-4 Crazy and drove several of them since 1983.

The picture of the 69-model is a prototype. One of the first made Type 4. The really reason why the heater exhaust on the Limo must be sideways is the fact when the heater is not working correctly the smell and smoke is terrible. You want that never in your car, that why VW make it this way!!!

On the limo sideways because of the air-intake of the heater/engine is in the back.
On the wagon the muffler ending left because of otherwise in some cases it's getting too hot, when you'ré muffler on the right. It cooling down the air-intake for the engine!! (hot summer, trafficjam or trailer)
On the wagon the heater exhaust a little bit further on the back because of the air-intake of the engine sideways of the car! No discusion so far

The problem now still is that a few people know this!! On the big Type 4 Meeting in Europe we are talking a lot about several cases.
VW wasn't very straight either and with the succes of the type 4 engine in the Type 2, it's not getting easier.
They save a lot of money with one muffler for every car and because the 412 wasn't a succes, it became the muffler of the T2.
Our engines were made in Hannover, yes the VW T2 Factory.

Ton

WOW....I learn new things every day. I have never seen anything like that.

The heater also still had small problems with exhaust fumes on the American models...mainly the Sedan/ 2 and 4 door.

This problem comes from the two very small rear louvers that are on the "C" pillar of each side.

Some casual owners of VW type 4 sedans...who either have not read or have never needed to remove those small grills...do not realize that there is a ventilation port under each one of them. It leads to the cardboard fairing that is at the base of the rear window.
It works in conjunction with the "scoop" ground on the top of the driver and passenger side door window. That small scooped out area is designed to replace the turning vent window of earlier vehicles.

It causes a draft that flows over and through the roof liner, over the rear window to help pull moisture away from the glass and exits through the small louvers at the rear.

In cold weather when it is still wind outside ...usually in traffic or sitting still with the gas heater on......exhaust fumes from the heater can enter through the small louvers. It kept getting annoying so just to see where it was coming from....I placed plastic sheet over the louvers temporarily one night....and it solved it.

It only happens rarely under the right weather conditions.

And by the way....your English is Excellent!

Ray
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several period magazines with test drives of the very first model of the 411. In those magazines there are good pictures showing that the first model year cars had a long heater exhaust pipe without the aluminium end cap -just like in the picture i posted earlier. I still trust more the parts catalogues and period broschures and test drives than conclusions made 10, 20,30 or 40 years after the end of production...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:
I have several period magazines with test drives of the very first model of the 411. In those magazines there are good pictures showing that the first model year cars had a long heater exhaust pipe without the aluminium end cap -just like in the picture i posted earlier. I still trust more the parts catalogues and period broschures and test drives than conclusions made 10, 20,30 or 40 years after the end of production...

I agree. So many parts have been swapped or changed usually due to damage and using the only parts at hand. Also.....VW was notorious for outfitting cars specifically for certain delivery points and climate zones without regard to making notes for M plates. Ray
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Variant gas heater exhaust Reply with quote

The gas heater exhaust without the cap was on early early cars.

Variant gas heater exhaust

MY 69 (Sept. 1968) Limousine gas heater exhaust

Up: Limousine, below: Variant
1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be a picture from the tail end of the line at pre-shipping inspection.....check out the gasoline pump in the background "SUPER"....everybody getting their first breakfast!
Ray
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldest known VW 411 (VIN 419 000 056) converted early into a convertible, looks like it has the long exhaust pipe.

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures! Its really odd. The very first 411 had so many differences. Its almost like they went from pre-production prototype straight into selling them.

But its also not too strange of a thought because this was a very different vehicle for VW.
Ray
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: another primary source Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I found further informationen in an internal primary Volkswagen document named "was anders wurde..."

I translate the important passage from german in english.

mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:
I ordered these from a local metal shop:

They are made of stainless steel so should last forever.

So I'm picking up from where SimiRon is leaving off. I just bought his 411 from him. And I have to say, he is a really great man. He spent a lot of time rebuilding the engine the transmission and the transaxle. As well as replacing the front struts. I'm sure he did a lot more than that, but there is a start. He told me that the gas heater actually works but it is missing the exhaust pipe. Hence his initial start of this topic.

Can you sell me one of these exhaust pipes? In the pieces that are needed to install it? To be clear the car is a 1971 wagon variant.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I was going to ask.... ..since you noted in your first post that the car was "mechanically perfect/excellent"........I was going to politely ask either how you came tocthat conclusion.....or Wink ......who was working on it before you if you acquired it in ready to drive state.

Glad to hear that a car with a lot of hard work in it has a home.

Oh.....and be sure to e-mail Lahti411 directly. Dont just take the chance that he might read your thread qboutcbuying an exhaust pipe.

Going to be fun! Ray
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: