Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW Reply with quote

There is a new employee at our office that sees me driving my VW and told me she always wanted one.

Today she came into my office and said she was seriously considering getting rid of her car and getting an old VW.

I asked some questions.

- Do you know anything about working on cars? No, but I want to learn. I'll watch YouTube.
- Do you have any tools? No
- Are you going to use the car for long trips? Yes
- Do you have a garage or a place to work on the car? No
- Do you mind getting greasy and oily? She just wrinkled her nose.
- She also told me her husband hates small cars, so he wouldn't be driving it.

I gave her the honest truth. If you want to learn to work on a car but need it to drive daily and go on trips - buy a Honda or Toyota and learn to change oil and tune it up.

I told her that ACVW's are like owning a pet. You need to give it attention every 3000 miles. Nothing is "automatic" and it all has to be adjusted. And since we live in Montana, you better enjoy driving with gloves, a hat, and a big coat.

Not to mention, ones like my DD is 40 years old! Things are going to break that you are going to have to learn and be willing to fix. You can't just take it in to your local garage and have them repair it. That may suck if you need it the next day to go to work.

I enjoy my cars and will talk VW's all day long if someone wanted to - but if someone really wants to buy one, there are things to know about them! You really have to love these things to have them for a daily driver.

Oh - and I always have a backup vehicle. My wife drives a '11 Subaru Outback.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW Reply with quote

ebenasky wrote:
Today she came into my office and said she was seriously considering getting rid of her car and getting an old VW.

Maybe she thinks a 1999 New Beetle is a old VW Think

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW Reply with quote

ebenasky wrote:
Oh - and I always have a backup vehicle.

So true! Daily drive the '65 Dormy. Backup vehicle is the '68 Plump Truck. Backup #2 is the '70 Bug. Cool
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Maybe she thinks a 1999 New Beetle is a old VW Think

Nope. I suggested a "New" Beetle and she said that she didn't want one of THOSE...

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW Reply with quote

ebenasky wrote:
You can't just take it in to your local garage and have them repair it. That may suck if you need it the next day to go to work.

Not even the three local VW places that are local could have the same turn around time that I can pull.
ACWVs are like having a sick dog that has a 100 year life span and needs constant medical attention... that you ride to work daily.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Star-e eyed look, "I really want a Bug/Bus" followed buy the list ebenasky provided, w/the added- "I don't have a lot of money, but $1,000 should be enough, right?" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
25 years ago I had a restored '72 Vert, brought it down to the Home town in Ct. to sell, had my Dad meeting people & selling it for me, he was amazed at the looks he got when he asked what they planned on driving in the Winter... Confused d'oh! Wink

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you. Nothing as expensive as a "cheap" and usually mostly worn out ACVW.

I sold my convertible to a guy maybe 10 years back for his daughter's "college" car...I told them while they were looking at it what a bad idea I thought that was, even though I knew that the car was built (by me) and maintained well. They bought it and I never heard from them again so perhaps it worked out. I tell myself she fell in love with a ACVW mechanic, after spending so much time with him....
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice. In a way, you may have saved another bug from a fiery roadside death, or a "oh, you're supposed to adjust brakes?" smash up.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully she will listen to you. Otherwise I suspect you will be bothered every time her POS, worn out, neglected, 50 some year old VW has a problem.
BG Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive told several people that recently .They'll say oh id like to get one for my teenager and I tell em buy her a civic with an air bag.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's hot looking, advise her to buy it...and then you'll be her vw savior when she needs mechanical work...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW Reply with quote

^^^ Well, there is the little problem about this:

ebenasky wrote:
- She also told me her husband hates small cars, so he wouldn't be driving it.

But to be clear, this would not be a problem for me, giggity, giggity. Dancing

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the "new beetles" like 2011 - present

I wouldn't have any shame in driving one of those, they even have cute little hubcaps.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Hopefully she will listen to you. Otherwise I suspect you will be bothered every time her POS, worn out, neglected, 50 some year old VW has a problem.

This
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
If she's hot looking, advise her to buy it...and then you'll be her vw savior when she needs mechanical work...

Yea, like having an ice cream cone you can't lick.

And why would you want to be someone else's VW savior? Don't you have enough trouble just trying to keep yours going without having the extra burden of some married woman calling every time her's has a hic cup?

How much trouble you think that husband is going to be if he thinks you are trying to destroy his marriage?

All those women out there and you would want to get messed up in something like that?
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my post was pretty much an attempt at humor....
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it. And the sarcasm.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
drscope wrote:

This

Yep.

I get this same inquiry with some regularity. Folks ask me to find them a bug for "better gas mileage" or "because they're cute". I go through the same list of questions as Ebanasky. Very few folks ever pursue their dream after I shatter it, unintentionally.

You either have to be willing, able and knowledgeable to work on them, or have a big pocketbook. Having both is nice, too.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: I suggested NOT to buy an ACVW Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

ACWVs are like having a sick dog that has a 100 year life span and needs constant medical attention... that you ride to work daily.

That is some funny shit right there. Laughing
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:
What's wrong with the "new beetles" like 2011 - present

I wouldn't have any shame in driving one of those, they even have cute little hubcaps.

VW Beetle 2011 & up (not New Beetle 1998-2010) are huge!
Why is it when they update a car, it always get's bigger?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: