Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9l engine removal questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: 1.9l engine removal questions Reply with quote

A little history - old enough to have owned 4 splitty's in the 60's and was versed enough to be able to drop engines in less than an hour, more like 30 minutes. BUT that was 50 (50? can't believe it's that long) years ago and they were air cooled.

So to today, I had super pressure in the coolant system and blew a hose so I am removing the engine (everyone says it's easier to work on them) to reseal the head, hoping that is the issue.

I am following the Bentley and I am in the middle of disconnecting various wires, pieces, etc. for removing my engine. I am at the point where the misc. stuff is out of the way. Here is where it gets confusing. The Bentley (10.Cool(why does it show an emoticon? It suppose to be an eight) says nothing about removing the rear sheet metal cover plate as shown on 13.32. And with this pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

there is no way the engine can be dropped down without taking it off. Also it doesn't mention anything about removing the oil filler tube or dip stick tube. Those are both sticking way to the rear to hamper removing the engine, either lowering or raising it.
I have spent hours searching and reading threads for the answers to the above questions and nothing. I see pics such as found in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602411&highlight=boston+bob that shows the oil filler tube and dip stick still on (see pics at bottom of thread). No mention about the rear sheet metal cover.
I've spent those hours looking for a definitive thread about the complete removal process of an engine but nothing. Ben's Place doesn't show the complete picture either.
I have the time, retired, to work on this thing all day, everyday, but right now I just want to tow it to a shop and let them do the work. No I don't want to, I want to do it myself but the lack of info in the Bentley and me, I think, not knowing how to best search TheSamba is very frustrating.

Any help with the above questions and links would be greatly appreciated. If I complete this myself, I will do a write up showing all the things that isn't shown in the Bentley.
I always feel I am missing something that is right in front of me and if I am I won't mind the flames that I may get. Thanks,
EL31415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the 2.1. Basically same as the 1.9 only different.... Shocked

BTW the number 8 followed by a right parentheses mark ) = equals cool dude emoticon ....... Cool. To prevent this, put a space between the 8 and the )

That tin piece is just the muffler heat shield and as shown in the photo above comes out with the engine.
As does the filler tube and dipstick.

Keep in mind this isn't your light weight type I engine. ....... This sucker packs some weight so be ready for it!
Also support your transaxle for the engine is the rear transaxle mount.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
countrybicycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to take that rear heat shield, the dipstick tube, oil filler tube, any of the exhaust components or even the expansion tank. It all comes out as a unit. Drop the trans with the motor too.

We made this hoist from a boat trailer winch purchased from Harbor Freight for $30...

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...Also support your transaxle for the engine is the rear transaxle mount...

kirkvw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydraulic lift table was perfect to drop the motor. With the trans still in, and the exhaust shield still on, it is a tight squeeze.

[/img]
1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg
1987 Porsche 944 (951) Turbo
1987 Vanagon GL, Rocky Jennings Heads, RMW Exhaust, ASL 5-speed, AMG Wheels
1981 Porsche 924 (931) Turbo
1972 Beetle (standard)
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l engine removal questions Reply with quote

nevadaesh wrote:
Here is where it gets confusing. The Bentley (10.Cool(why does it show an emoticon? It suppose to be an eight) says nothing about removing the rear sheet metal cover plate as shown on 13.32. And with this pic:

Dont get ahead of yourself. check figure 10-942 on pg 10.9. "remove bolts, do not remove plate 3"... Wink
nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l engine removal questions Reply with quote

Dont get ahead of yourself. check figure 10-942 on pg 10.9. "remove bolts, do not remove plate 3"... Wink[/quote]

That's exactly where I started second guessing this whole removal thing, thanks.

Thanks others for the pics, became crystal clear when I saw them.
reevesme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l engine removal questions Reply with quote

Nice hack with the boat winch. It worked nicely for me too. Thanks

Also, can anyone tell me the name of this plug and where I can get one? It fell off my engine and I now have a credit card (ironic) glued over the hole!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l engine removal questions Reply with quote

The hole is for accessing the flex plate to torque convertor bolts if you have an automatic tranny. No clue on the name for the plug. Maybe try West Coast Metric or Wolfburg West.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l engine removal questions Reply with quote

Replaced mine with an electric panel "knockout" plug...don't remember if it was 1" or 1-1/4"...
...buy both & still get change from $1... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: