Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed this one before. Nice work!
75 Panel Bus - converting to Subi power http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651073&highlight=
78 Kombi Camper
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

fogoo wrote:
I don't know how I missed this one before. Nice work!

We should get this added to the "water cooled bay conversions" list. Yours to Steve
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537187
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

Ok after a haitus, i am back at it again.

todays job includes figuring out why its pissing oil. I think its because the rear main seal but it could be because i used a gasket on the oil pan instead of RTV. i did the RTV yesterday, going to refill today and see what the result is. say a little prayer to allah its the oil pan and not the rear main.
Not a Priest.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

How about an update. People like updates right??

Moved from Dallas to Austin
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I originally put the rear main seal in there a little too far so it was peeing oil in a steady stream (not dripping but literally pissing). Replaced that guy.

So that seemed to solve my biggest issue. I have a brand new Bosch starter that's just not making thr cut. Thinking I need a hi torque starter bc it doesn't wanna start sometimes. If anyone has a cheap solution for this I would love to hear it!

The temp is running real nice w the roof rack radiator. This pic is cruising at about 50

And this speed pic is for skillz.

But I think I had a ground issue so the night ended like they all do. Lol.

Not a Priest.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

Last picture should be this.

I want to say it's so amazing driving around. It's effortless. My pedal linkage isn't perfect yet so I can't rev it quickly but it still responds so well on hills and such. It's how these buses should be driven
Not a Priest.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

Brake light issue:

Need some help here. Recently replaced the housing on the tail lights. just discovered im not getting any brake lights at all. the running lights on the tail are working, the side markers are working. the fuses all seem good and have the same reading on top and bottom.

When the brake pedal is depressed i am not getting any signal in the black w red wire in the rear. So i figure it must be the sensors on the master cylinder. Bentley says that wires 81 and 81a are the two outside wires/plugs on the sensor and the middle one is lik 17 or 14? its the power.

Bentley says turn car to acc. then unplug 81 and 81a on one sensor and check to see if brake lights work, then repeat on the other one. Well that didnt do anything. So i get under there with the multimeter and discover im geting power from one of the side wires/plugs and not the middle. so i try the same test with leaving that one in and other two unplugged. nothing.

These brake lights worked recently. is it possible that both sensors went out at the same time??
Not a Priest.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

Stick a jumper wire between the black and black/red wires in one of the plugs on the master cylinder and turn on the key, if the brake lights are on the issue is with the switches.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
Brake light issue:

Need some help here. Recently replaced the housing on the tail lights. just discovered im not getting any brake lights at all. the running lights on the tail are working, the side markers are working. the fuses all seem good and have the same reading on top and bottom.

When the brake pedal is depressed i am not getting any signal in the black w red wire in the rear. So i figure it must be the sensors on the master cylinder. Bentley says that wires 81 and 81a are the two outside wires/plugs on the sensor and the middle one is lik 17 or 14? its the power.

Bentley says turn car to acc. then unplug 81 and 81a on one sensor and check to see if brake lights work, then repeat on the other one. Well that didnt do anything. So i get under there with the multimeter and discover im geting power from one of the side wires/plugs and not the middle. so i try the same test with leaving that one in and other two unplugged. nothing.

These brake lights worked recently. is it possible that both sensors went out at the same time??

The switches on the master are redundant correct? So one could hade been dead for years without you knowing, and now the second on has bit the dust. Just a thought.
Did you check with the ohm meter with someone pressing the brake or with the volt meter?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
BusPriest wrote:
Brake light issue:

The switches on the master are redundant correct? So one could hade been dead for years without you knowing, and now the second on has bit the dust. Just a thought.
Did you check with the ohm meter with someone pressing the brake or with the volt meter?

Yes and no, although only one switch is needed to activate the brake lights the dead switch would light the B light on the dash every time you stepped on the brakes, now if there were other previous wiring issues all bets are off.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

what starter are you using? if it's not the TDI one, the stock starter won't cut it.

I would suggest the adapter from RMW. I need to use those on the 091 transmissions. you can't get away with the keyhole mod on that starter

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Stick a jumper wire between the black and black/red wires in one of the plugs on the master cylinder and turn on the key, if the brake lights are on the issue is with the switches.

Ok I will try this.
Not a Priest.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
what starter are you using? if it's not the TDI one, the stock starter won't cut it.

I would suggest the adapter from RMW. I need to use those on the 091 transmissions. you can't get away with the keyhole mod on that starter

using a new bosch sr17x.

you think the the RMW adaptor and tdi starter is better than getting a hi torque starter? ok cool.
Not a Priest.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

yes, the high torques are junk on vw's let alone a Subaru.

let me guess, it doesn't want to start hot, and sounds like a dead battery? the above mentioned set up will solve that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
yes, the high torques are junk on vw's let alone a Subaru.

let me guess, it doesn't want to start hot, and sounds like a dead battery? the above mentioned set up will solve that

Yep! Damn im tired of spendmoney on this thing! lol
Not a Priest.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Ok I will try this.

Pulled one plug off, jumped it, brake lights worked. Plugged it back in, pulled other plug and jumped it, brake lights worked. Does this mean I will need to replace both sensors?
Not a Priest.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

So had an issue again the other night. The alternator is not wired correctly. Rewired it tonight and going to test it tomorrow by idling it while putting a strain on the battery.

Got brake switches ordered.

Went to order new starter and adaptor plate, learned that RMW and Westy Ventures are both currently out of stock for the next coming weeks. I guess this gives me time to rewire my interior toys.

So much fun to be working on the bus again.
Not a Priest.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

#burytheneedle
Not a Priest.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

Nice man! Didnt know you moved to Austin. Love this thread, always makes me want to convert my new late westy.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

Thanks! And you should do it.
I'll sell you my adapter, flywheel, and 6 rib to help you start.

I'm already ready for Subarugears
Not a Priest.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: John, the Engineer - '77 Champagne Transporter Build/Travels Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
Thanks! And you should do it.
I'll sell you my adapter, flywheel, and 6 rib to help you start.

I'm already ready for Subarugears

I could be talked into most all that. Let me know.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: