Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro conversion: can I break it up or do it all at once?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Syncro conversion: can I break it up or do it all at once? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Looking for advice from those who have done this before.
This winter i have parted out an 87 passenger tin top syncro to convert my super clean 87 westy. Where I am now in the process is everything that is syncro from the donor is removed and in the process of cleaning, inspecting, rebuilding and/or replacing. Basically every thing will need to be overhauled from fuel tank, lines, straps, to full front end rebuild with new urethane bushings, cvs etc...

So far I only have enough funds to either do the entire rear portion of conversion (ie;fuel tank/lines, rear suspension, engine and trans) or do the entire front end rebuild. I don't have enough to do both currently.

My question is given my economic shortfall currently, should I proceed with the syncro rear first (fuel tank, trans, shifter, coolant lines, engine etc...), install and roll it until i have enough $$ to build out the front end? Or should I start on the front end, rebuild it, sit on it until I can rebuild the rear and then do the conversion all at once?
I like the idea of doing the rear now, working out any kinks by driving it, meanwhile building back up the funds to attack the front end. Basically a two part install.
Are there any issues that I should be aware of when just installing a syncro rear end of the van while using the existing 2wd front end?
What says you gurus?
Thanks
Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the rear first. You can then use the van again normally with the conversion only half done if you do the rear half first.

Then you can slowly rebuild the front assembly and swap it in when it is ready.

Mark
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I would do the rear first. You can then use the van again normally with the conversion only half done if you do the rear half first.

Then you can slowly rebuild the front assembly and swap it in when it is ready.

Mark

I was thinking this as well Mark. Do the rear, drive it, work out kinks, then hopefully by early summer have enough funds built back up to tackle the front end. Doing it this way probably eliminates a lot of the overwhelming stress of this big job Wink
Would you go ahead and eliminate the front fuel tank at this point since it wont be needed anyways and will have to come out soon for the front end install?

At some point I will post up pics of this project for even more documentation on this type conversion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel tank and lowering the rear portion of the driveline is pretty much all of the rear work needed.

The shift linkage would be considered a mid van portion, but you can make due if you have both the 2wd and Syncro linkage parts.

You can also add the front suspension and subframe, but not install the front diff as long as you have a set of broken front outer CVs to use as stub axles.
I do this to test many vans before completing the assembly.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the rear tank is in and hooked up getting rid of the front tank stuff is only a couple of hours at most so do it any time you like.

When the engine and tranny are in the Syncro mounting position you will want to use the Syncro rear shift rod piece since it is contoured to match that position.

The whole job isn't really all that big except that if you need or want to recondition every piece as you go then it can take 5 times as long.

Mark

candyman wrote:
....I was thinking this as well Mark. Do the rear, drive it, work out kinks, then hopefully by early summer have enough funds built back up to tackle the front end. Doing it this way probably eliminates a lot of the overwhelming stress of this big job Wink
Would you go ahead and eliminate the front fuel tank at this point since it wont be needed anyways and will have to come out soon for the front end install?

At some point I will post up pics of this project for even more documentation on this type conversion
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark and Dylan, these are the tips I was looking for!

Will report back
Thanks again!
Jason
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to use your 2WD transmission with a spacer for the front mount - those more familiar than me can add their view.

I mention this in case you do not know the status of the Syncro trans, it might make sense to not use. If if it getting close to needing a rebuild, more use could cause more damage. Just throwing it out there, feel free to ignore.

However, if you do put it in there, I am very interested in hearing how the traction is with the extra weight of the gas tank back there along with the creeper (and locker?).

Good luck!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
You might be able to use your 2WD transmission with a spacer for the front mount - those more familiar than me can add their view.

I mention this in case you do not know the status of the Syncro trans, it might make sense to not use. If if it getting close to needing a rebuild, more use could cause more damage. Just throwing it out there, feel free to ignore.

However, if you do put it in there, I am very interested in hearing how the traction is with the extra weight of the gas tank back there along with the creeper (and locker?).

Good luck!

I thought about this as well. I figured I would go ahead and install the trans and plumb the locker now as ill need to do this anyways and get the trans mounts just right. i will need to sell my current trans, which has about 30k on a german transaxle rebuild(pm me if anyone is interested in it) to help fund this on going project. I am budgeting for a syncro trans rebuild anyways, but my hopes are to get things aligned and worked out in phases. This current syncro trans has unknown miles. The donor van had about 166k on the clock but no history on whether or not this trans has been rebuilt etc... If it hasnt been rebuilt, then its close to needing it im sure. Although my last syncro westy had over 200k on the original trans.

When i drained the oil on this current syncro trans, the fluid was very clean with minimal metal on the magnet plug, sam for the front diff. Those are good signs. For the most part the driveline is in very good condition like cvs etc... Just the front bushings are all original so Im going to budget for full whiteline urethane replacement with powerflex upper control bushings.

Ill let you know how it drives with a full syncro rear end. Probably going to tackle this over the next couple of weeks
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did an engine swap & the rear half of the Syncro conversion to my van. Works just fine as a 2wd but I'm still using the 2wd springs in the rear as I wont do the front half of the conversion until next winter. As for the gear shifter, I swapped the rear half of the linkage and the actual shifter.

It wasn't shifting properly with the 2wd shifter so I pulled the one from the syncro and installed it. I also had to do the coolant lines as the 2wd lines wouldn't properly route with out hitting the trans & syncro fuel tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: