Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Westfalia table is this? Dimensions?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supertramp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Which Westfalia table is this? Dimensions? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've only seen it a few times and have seen it in the later wood style and the earlier white Formica. It's perfect for my bus as I have an early westy but I'm installing the Berlin cooker unit so need this table rather than the much larger Berlin table.
This one seems to fit quite closely to the Berlin cooker unit and given that my bed goes right the way to that window, it's ideal.

If anyone has any ideas or ideally dimensions so I can make my own that would be perfect.

Cheers
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which Westfalia table is this? Dimensions? Reply with quote

Supertramp wrote:

I've only seen it a few times and have seen it in the later wood style and the earlier white Formica. It's perfect for my bus as I have an early westy but I'm installing the Berlin cooker unit so need this table rather than the much larger Berlin table.
This one seems to fit quite closely to the Berlin cooker unit and given that my bed goes right the way to that window, it's ideal.

If anyone has any ideas or ideally dimensions so I can make my own that would be perfect.

Cheers

As long as you are building your own why not mock it up in cardboard until you have just what you want? Just use boxes to hold it up until you find out where you want the surfaces in space, and what shape you want them. They may not be rectangles.

Those hinges are a failure waiting to happen. Very bad idea. Consider hinging the top leaf at the back so it opens towards the window and can sit on a ledge. This supports the far end of the leaf.

I suspect the column has a lift and turn lock. Not easy to make. So you need a solid anti-rattle catch of some kind. The column itself can be bent out of electrical conduit. You need the big industrial conduit and a big industrial bender or a pre-bent piece (likely). Talk to an electrician.

I've never liked cooking in the bus. Boil water for tea and the windows are dripping. Fry a fish and all the fabric and your clothing smells of fish---and I do like my garlic, but not all the time. Perhaps a 7" high panel that goes in the drivers side window at the top. Roll the glass up to hold it in place. This panel then has some 12VDC 6" computer fans in it. Plugs into the accessory socket. Gives some ventilation when making smells on the stove.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful interior!
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice full width rear seat.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn nice interior! Who's is that?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620138

Scroll down to user "bala". Look at the picture under the name (forget what you call them)
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
This thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620138

Scroll down to user "bala". Look at the picture under the name (forget what you call them)

My avatar, but I don't have that table. This one doesn't look familiar to me, but pretty cool. Guessing a European thing?

I would like to know more about that headrest!?!?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look Westfalian. I've not seen that type before? Does not mean its like Bala said - a Euro thing.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
It doesn't look Westfalian. I've not seen that type before? Does not mean its like Bala said - a Euro thing.

X2, those hinges on top aren't thier style, even for Euro AFAIK. It looks like a Berlin with a modified fridge cabinet (fridge moved to under sink?) and either an extended bed or possibly just the cushions.

As for the table if you are customizing anyways make one that fits well where you plan on storing it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone did a really nice job of customizing that interior. It looks like all the laminate was done at the same time. Trimming the refrigerator and storage box and installing a full width seat with matching armrest almost look factory.

There is a company in the UK that has the 'correct' table for the late bay westy that is larger than yours without the exposed hinges on the top.

http://nlavw.com/gb/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Supertramp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Regarding the bus and interior, it belongs to 'PeaSoup' from TheLateBay, http://peasoupcampervan.blogspot.co.uk

I thought, in the interests of discussion and fact finding that I'd add more pictures. Like I said, I'll be making the table myself so not the end of the world re dimensions, but I'm still interested to know where this particular table comes from.

It's described here in the UK by one seller as an 'early european folding table'. Now my early westy had the white formica table that is one piece, lifting out from the side panel.
Given that this looks like it's supposed to attach to a berlin type unit, I can only assume the later westy, but then, why would it also come in white, as per image, which I thought was only an early westy colour?

Or, occam's razor, it's not Westfalia at all, someone built one some time ago and it's been adopted into westy folklore.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliding brace underneath extends to support the hinge. That will work, hinge alone will not. But the tolerances are tight, quite tight. it has to be built very accurately. You can play the same game with sliding wooden bars and this is commonly done with drop leaf tables. But the hinges are on the bottom side. This gets rid of the tolerance issues.

That table is being used double surfaced, this is why the hinges are on top. Folded it is an extension of the counter. Unfolded it is a table.

If that is home cooked it was done by a regular cabinet person with experience. They took a lot of care and came up with some elaborate metal work. I would call it commercial.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this pic it looks Westfalian for sure. All that galvy covered metal screams Westfalia. But I cant wrap my head around it being of Westfalia origin.

So I have the fortune to own a 68-75 Campmobile parts manual. Its not in there (but its for the N.American market)

To me the table looks like two front tables put together? Also I would not rule it out - but maybe change your thinking - that white one may be an early Vanagon table and the mystery one may be a late bay one?? Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Supertramp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who's stumped. I didn't think about a vanagon/T25. That would certainly explain the White Formica.
I'm just waiting to hear back from someone who has one for sale and if I can't get my hands on that I'll build something to suit my needs.
Thank you all, very interesting information.
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Which Westfalia table is this? Dimensions? Reply with quote

Hello...l have white Formica version..if you want we can trade..l m looking for this you have.. wooden finish table and the leg for it..let me know what's your thoughts..
About this table history..it is european model for Helsinki and Berlin..as far as came with reaserch..looks like formica white one is rare 72..73 year model...
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
I would like to know more about that headrest!?!?

Kamei accessory?
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
In this pic it looks Westfalian for sure. All that galvy covered metal screams Westfalia. But I cant wrap my head around it being of Westfalia origin.

So I have the fortune to own a 68-75 Campmobile parts manual. Its not in there (but its for the N.American market)

To me the table looks like two front tables put together? Also I would not rule it out - but maybe change your thinking - that white one may be an early Vanagon table and the mystery one may be a late bay one?? Think

Looks like SO 73/3 Malaga (or SO 73/11 Oxford for the UK)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: