Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mojave desert Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

I recently found this Westfalia in the Southern California desert. The Camper Supplement to the Owner's Manual indicates this is a DeLuxe model based on the interior features. Cool

Arrow I would like your thoughts about what you see that needs attention, what I need to be looking out for, and what you think would be a fair price. I do have another Vanagon of the same year, but it is a Country Homes conversion, and it's kind of worn out and missing the bed. I am also familiar with the Type 4 engine, and have that other van's engine heads removed awaiting machine work. I understand the weak point of those heads. This is also an air-cooled engine, with manual transmission. I will likely sell the Country Homes van if something better finds its way to my garage, such as this. This van is not worth my time to try and flip or trade, I am looking at this as a keeper to actually use and enjoy.

I have been able to look it over pretty good, going so far as to cranking the engine over. Oil pressure light goes out soon enough, but I could not check compression. Really can't check that correctly without the lifters pumped up and engine warmed, anyway. The guy tells me it was driven in to his property, and has been sitting for about four years. I ran the VIN at the DMV, and it is in PNO status, so no back fees due. Very Happy

I was also able to remove the rocker arms and compare valve tip heights. There is indication of sinking valve seats or stretched valves on the exhaust sides; at least the valves are all pretty uniform and I did not see anything truly ugly. The engine appears unmolested, and looks to have everything in place. Someone apparently added a 'hot start' style relay. You can see it where they screwed it right over the vacuum hose diagram.

There is another complete engine that comes with the van. It feels like it has decent compression when turned over by hand, and I would bet it improves when the lifters pump up.

Here are a bunch of pics, there are more in my gallery. Most of my gallery pics on this have captions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This side of the van has been sideswiped. I have another nice slider door, so changing that out is no big deal. The track cover is inside the van.

Checking the valve tips only gives a basic idea regarding vlave creep. A shop environment and head removal is the best way, but doing this in the field helps identify a potential catastrophy. I have not tried to start the engine, and it would be foolish to do that until it has been gone over thoroughly with all cracked vacuum lines replaced, hoses in place and fuel injection components individually tested. It is enough for me at this point to know that the engine cranks over without issues.

Other engine, CV code.

The top bunk is also complete and in equal condition. All of the cabinetry functions nicely, except the small drawer near the sink. It feels like it needs a bottom track guide.

The front table is missing, and we've got granite countertops in the rear! Razz

Front passenger seat is loose from its base...

I could not test any of the kitchen equipment, or the electrical system. Although there is a good key that fits the locks and igntion, this van was hotwired for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As "we" almost always state.......

When looking at a Van, pick the solid body over beauty!

Boy have you found the poster child for this statement!
Unbelievable dirt!
A few dents, yes ...... But panel beating is way easier than cancer repair!

You will need to replace almost everything that sees the sun on this, window rubber, seals, etc.

It looks like the desert dust storms have taken direct aim at this old Van.

It will be a LOT of work for a unit with no real value upon completion.

But if you are looking for something solid that you will keep for years and years... I Think you may have just found it.

If the price is right and you've got a bucket of time and a pile of cash..... Go for it!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This van does have some real potential. It shows very little lower body
rust! Speically for its age. Problem is it shows all the classic
signs of being a flood vehicle. Flood vehicles typically need everything
rebuilt. As for a vanagon of this vintage, this is easier than fixing a ton
of rust.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. What are the indicators you see that call out flood vehicle?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could restore a decent syncro for about the same money it will take to properly bring this anemic, air cooled, 2WD Westy back to life.

Or you could...

"Buy the best condition Westy you can afford" and you'll save a ton of $ over this one. Lots of good parts there though.

Run... Don't walk.
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flood vehicles have dirt in and around every small area. It typically looks
the same all over the vehicle. If you look at the carpet, its got dirt all thru it,
the same as what's in the engine compartment. Even on the dash it looks
very dirty. Hard to tell in pictures. Another sign is low mileage, low rust,
but junked for no apparent reason. Another sign is the engine runs fine
but throws a rod bearing shortly after. I can't explain this one, but after
seeing maybe a hundred vehicle where a flooded engine dies shortly after
being put back on the road this is exactly what will happen.
Check places like under the front seat for dirt. This is no guaranty it was not
flooded, becasue it may have only been partially underwater.

Wasted youth wrote:
Thanks for the replies. What are the indicators you see that call out flood vehicle?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a suspected flood vehicle and was in deep enough, then the foam or padding of the cushions beneath the upholstery fabric would likely be discolored by mud/dirt. You can unzip one of the bed cushions to look, assuming the water had been deep enough to damage that part. Or look for a water line on the interior somewhere to indicate how deep it might have been, say, behind the dash or in the cabinets, or on the curtains. Given the van's location, is it likely to have experienced a flood or have been brought there from a flood area?

However, if it's cheap enough go ahead and buy it anyway and enjoy the Westy rejuvenation process.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was looking at what you indicate may be flood residue/damage given the high level of dirt/dust/whatever. The possibilty exists that it was a flood victim, given the opportunites for flash flooding in the desert. Old registration paperwork show past registrations in Kingman, Arizona and the Santa Barbara area of California. A desert flash flood victim this could be, but I also need to keep in mind that between Winslow, Arizona and east of Flagstaff, AZ epic sandstorms occasionally shut down I-40 so if the PO was being a complete moron and drove through any of that.... well, go figure. Crying or Very sad

Here is a picture of the passenger front foot well:

It looks pretty clean under the carpet. I am thinking floodwater would leave a good indication here.

Here is a picture of the battery tray, which is much higher than the front floor, and it is also filled with dust/dirt. Cover is missing:

Also note that the cooktop and the tabletop are both equally coated in loose dust/dirt.

I have spent a large part of my life in the southwest, and seeing vehicles like this covered in layers of fine dust is not uncommmon. Leaving the slider open for several years really does not help matters. And I have not yet found mud or sand in the crevices of the undercarriage where it would likely build up were it submerged. Still, I can't rule out that this is not flood damaged.

I am thinking that if the dust blows off easily with compressed air, than it probably just four or more years of desert dust. But if the dust sticks, than it is likely mud residue.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
If it is a suspected flood vehicle and was in deep enough, then the foam or padding of the cushions beneath the upholstery fabric would likely be discolored by mud/dirt. You can unzip one of the bed cushions to look, assuming the water had been deep enough to damage that part. Or look for a water line on the interior somewhere to indicate how deep it might have been, say, behind the dash or in the cabinets, or on the curtains. Given the van's location, is it likely to have experienced a flood or have been brought there from a flood area?

However, if it's cheap enough go ahead and buy it anyway and enjoy the Westy rejuvenation process.

I did not see the 'high water mark' that may have been made if it were partially submerged. Here are a couple of interior cabinet shots:

I didn't think to unzip the cushions. It did not cross my mind about flood damage, so I wasn't thinking about those clues. I will be heading out there tomorrow and should have all day to dick around with it.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That van is classic desert dust. No flooding. To have that much dust in there the pop top must have been up for some time. How could you get that much dust to the high sink/stove counter top?
Thing to check that I see is pass. rear stub from getting sideswiped.
Is the propane tank guard bent?
Is there a middle seat? The tracks are there.
I am trying to see this van without all the dirt. The pictures without the heavy dirt seem ok.
Seems like all the parts are there.
Unknown non running motor. Why is there a spare motor involved?Ask the owner why.
Any close thing to 2K would be too much in my book.
I guess If I was selling it ,I would clean it and ask $2500 hoping to get $2000.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first of all, the wheel covers are cool!
That engine bay looks like it's been to Burning Man!

A project no doubt. Is that the OEM regulator etc. on propane tank? If so, I'd replace it regardless. That tank may be saveable.

You'll need new pop top and luggage rack seals.

I doubt they are bad, but check the rear trailing arms for rust holes.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rust on top is odd for a desert van

I assume it is very cheap?

toss the motor and stick a Porsche SC motor in there
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked at the propane system at all, hopefully no damage. Good point on the stub axle and drum. I will take a better look at that.

The spare engine was among a pile of engines of all kinds. He told me when I first visited that I was about a year too late, that he sold all his busses, beetles and he had a total of three Vanagon Westies. People are always stopping by, apparently. He is trying to sell off and move to Utah; totally disgusted with what California has evolved to. Laughing

It will take him awhile to sell off, I bet. Lots of stuff there, about 5 acres of old American iron, boats, semi trucks, etc.

No middle seat. Same problem with that like Bay and Split window middle seats. They all fly away with the unicorns.

As far as dust goes, this location is along Route 66, between Needles and Barstow, CA. Plenty of opportunity for blowing dust... and the van came over from Arizona. But yeah... it does seem excessive.

Thanks for your price point opinion, too.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
rust on top is odd for a desert van

I assume it is very cheap?

toss the motor and stick a Porsche SC motor in there

Yeah, I thought the luggae clips being all rusted out was a little wierd. It is 34 years old, but seems like the clip anchors wouldn't be that bad.

Arrow Don't know anything about a Porsche SC motor, but willing to look into that. The van will have to pass California smog regardless.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
well first of all, the wheel covers are cool!
That engine bay looks like it's been to Burning Man!

A project no doubt. Is that the OEM regulator etc. on propane tank? If so, I'd replace it regardless. That tank may be saveable.

You'll need new pop top and luggage rack seals.

I doubt they are bad, but check the rear trailing arms for rust holes.

No doubt OEM propane set-up. I would need to upgrade the fill fitting anyway, so a full refurbishment/hydro test would be a good idea.

I will take a look at the trailing arms.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vanagon Westfalia, your thoughts requested... Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

I would keep...the sweet marine cupholder.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah... kind of wondering about that. Laughing
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the low black thing in the door card? Because it's black probable an aftermarket part? Just wondering. Wink

Also does the outside show any signs of sand blast damage? Pitted windshield/windows or paint?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what the little square thing is for. Maybe you can put your weed in there?

I don't recall anything jumping out at me about sandblasted paint or glass, just cracked rubber everywhere, oxidized paint and dents.

By the way, 70coupyel, I just looked through your gallery. Total porn on your Queen Mary photos! Cool
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: