Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

Although I did rebuild the PS on my 84, I've not installed it yet. I have no clue if the job is a success. I do know manual steering is not fun after being so use to the PS.

Anyway, now the PS is leaking terrible on my 89 Carat. So, I've give the thought of just replacing those big black outer seals and not bother with the other stuff ...

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Although I did rebuild the PS on my 84, I've not installed it yet. I have no clue if the job is a success. I do know manual steering is not fun after being so use to the PS.

Anyway, now the PS is leaking terrible on my 89 Carat. So, I've give the thought of just replacing those big black outer seals and not bother with the other stuff ...

Thoughts?

That's what I did when my 'rebuilt' Maval rack started leaking after about a year. Still working just fine.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

Yeah, the PS was working just fine on my 89 Carat until early January, this year. And, it works great now, as long as it has fluid in the system... So, it would seem to me just replacing those two outer seals would be the thing to do.

Anyway, I've added to the oil slicks in numerous parking lots over the last 5 months..... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

My rack is dripping too. I ordered the Gates 348522 seal kit.

Does anyone have pics of ALIKA T3's silicon boots installed on a rack?
And pics installed on the van?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gray Silicon on left <-----> Black VW/Audi on right
silicon boots in Samba classified.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

Thoughts?

Only installing the outer seals.. LOL. Well, even though I'd been there with the PS Unit from my 84, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I made the above statement.

Anyway, this afternoon I cleaned and disassembled the PS Unit from my 89 Carat. Heck, you are almost at the bottom in the disassembling process, so it is a no brainer to finish the job with all the pieces parts that come in the kit. (Gates from Rock Auto)

Tip: On the four blue Teflon seals, after installing them, like the OP, I placed them in the freezer but for only an hour. Then, I put two layers of brown masking tape on the inner two and the same for the outer two seals. (two seals covered with tape) Then, I put on two screw type water pipe clamps (one clap covers two seals). I let the clamps stay on for about 15 minutes and then loosened and rotated them about a half turn and tightened down again. After another 15 minutes, I removed the clamps and tape. With the housing oiled, they slipped in without much effort.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll finish the job and see how well it functions.

Update: Job finished. No leaks, no squeaks, no foam, steering wheel centered and unit works as it should.

Last edited by AndyBees on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

Link

I do not sell the rack seal kit anymore.
I highly advise on buying a good quality one if you don't want to do the job twice.
The silicone boots have been made with this in mind. Put them on and forget about it. I don't even put zip ties, they stay on by themselves. 3 years later, they still look like new and zero failure so far from anybody who used them.

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
VanPerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

Howdy. So I've got a bit of a 55mph+ vibration in the steering wheel on my wife's 88 2WD Westy. It comes and goes depending on if I'm coming out of a corner or not. I've handled all the usual culprits (wheel balance, tie rod ends, bearings, alignment). I'm currently in the process of doing the rotors/pads, caliper seals. I've got the driver's side done, and doing the passenger side tonight. Maybe some slightly sticky calipers or wobbly rotors will resolve. The brake pedal does seem to have a bit of a pulse Wink All these parts were due for pulling apart and some level of replacement, so I've been taking a baby step approach at this. Anyway, while I had the rotors off I did some inspection of the rack behind the boots, and that's why I have landed on this thread. With the wheels straight, if I grab the steering column at the u-joint just above the steering pinion and rock it ever so slightly back/forth (turning the steering wheel left/right basically), you can see the rack on the driver's side with a fair amount of play (axial play, I believe this is called). Is this normal? Can it be adjusted on these vans if too much slop? Pull it out and replace, or adjust while bolted in??? I'm having a hard time finding answers on this one, and I'd hate to swap out the entire component since it has no leaks.

The rack rebuilding threads seem to concentrate on seals rather than tolerance/play so I'm hoping somebody can give me a "yeah, that's normal/expected" or a "holy smokes, there's your vibration, pull that thing out of there" or "just adjust it up a bit by doing..." kind of thing.

Thanks so much for taking the few minutes to review and feedback! Smile

Link

[/youtube]
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

Yeah, that rack is worn out. I certainly would focus your attention to that before I swapped out any more parts.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

Did you check the "ball" at the end of the tie rod where it screws onto the rack? (both sides)

Also, how many miles on your rack?

Edit: If that rack is worn-out it is likely the result of whatever was causing the shake(s). Neither of the two racks I've rebuilt showed any signs of being worn.
VanPerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

@Butcher - thx! I've seen where those have some play on other vehicles, so didn't know if I should be concerned (ie. drop $225-$425) or pray that my rotor/caliper fix will suffice. I'll know for certain tonight after I'm done with the passenger side brake stuff. All those other parts needed attention, so I'm happy to have dealt with some items that I'd been putting off either way. I can certainly imagine it could be the culprit. Wish there was on on-vehicle adjustment there though since nothing is leaking.

@AndyBees - I believe you're referring to the "inner" tie rod ends. Those have no play at all, it's all between the rack and the housing. Not the rack bushings either. 190k miles on the vehicle, not certain if that is the original rack or not. Could be.

If there is no gear adjustment, then I like the idea of a new rack, fresh fluid, whiteline rack bushings, and hey, add in some anti-roll (sway) bar and drop link bushings and I might not make my wife sick driving through the mountains anymore!!! Smile

Thx everyone!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

One more question..

How much of that movement is transferred to the four rubber mount bushings of the rack?

I'm sort of surprised it is not leaking fluid.

Oh, and remember to use AT fluid, not PS fluid.
VanPerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
One more question..

How much of that movement is transferred to the four rubber mount bushings of the rack?

I'm sort of surprised it is not leaking fluid.

Oh, and remember to use AT fluid, not PS fluid.

Zero movement in the four rack bushings. This is ALL between the rack (cylindrical gear that meets the pinion gear) and the inside of its housing. Something I was hoping was either normal, or could be adjusted. I don't see any type of bushing or bearing responsible for holding that in place inside the housing, in Bentley or these forums.

It is the very fact that it is not leaking that made me ponder if this was somehow normal or expected amount of free play.

Yep, if I go with a new rack I'll grab a few quarts of Dexron, flush, and replace that filter as well.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

It is way too much play, crazy it was not leaking!

Broken or worn Teflon bushings, but I don't see how it would have come to this point without grit which would have been causing a leak.

I would open it, something must have come loose somehow....
VanPerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
It is way too much play, crazy it was not leaking!

Broken or worn Teflon bushings, but I don't see how it would have come to this point without grit which would have been causing a leak.

I would open it, something must have come loose somehow....

I've got a 'new' rack on the way. Once I get it bolted up there I'm going to disassemble this worn unit and find some answers. Maybe I can rehab it and save it for down the road.

While I'm waiting for parts, I've got some oblong radius arm brackets to keep me busy. Gawd Sad

^ maybe that's how it got to that point, without the grit causing a leak Smile

I'm just going to jump over to Van Cafe and grab a radius arm bracket rebuild kit that comes with 1.5" drill bit and bushing sleeve/spacers to match. Oh wait, nobody has thought of that yet. Darn it! Mobile welder!?!?! Ugh.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

Ok, let us know!
No it's not the radius causing that since the tie rods have ball joints, it is an odd case you have here Wink
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

I'm replacing my U joint. It's quite rusty and dirty, hard to see details.

To confirm:

There is NOT a nut holding the U joint to the shaft on power steering rack right?

i.e. I only have to remove the nut and bolt to get the U joint of that shaft?

Thanks

Neil.

AndyBees wrote:
To remove the shaft assembly, I installed the steering U-joint and used a small hammer to knock on it. The shaft/bearing assembly bounced out on the third whack.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

There is a bolt that slides thru and mates to the shaft where a flat spot has been milled. (each end)

If you mark the relationship with a scribe, it will make it go back much easier. EDIT: Duh, I guess this doesn't apply since you are replacing the joint.

I had no clue these were "one time use" only bolts. Wow!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
There is a bolt that slides thru and mates to the shaft where a flat spot has been milled. (each end)

If you mark the relationship with a scribe, it will make it go back much easier. EDIT: Duh, I guess this doesn't apply since you are replacing the joint.

I had no clue these were "one time use" only bolts. Wow!

Oops. Thanks for drawing my attention to what I wrote. I meant to edit my post before sending it. It's fixed.

AFAIK the bolts can be reused. Only the nut is one time use "always replace" type.

Anyone know if the "copper" (cadmium plated??) locking type nuts can be used in this application? I think I used them on my manual steering rack and flex coupler re-do....

IIRC, ALIKA T3 makes mention of re positioning the steering wheel if need be.

I'd think that getting the U joint positioned so the bolt can be slid in past the milled part on shaft would be somewhat crucial so marking things might help?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the nut is a crimped style lock nut. I cannot imagine why it would need to be replaced.

A castle nut would require drilling a hole in the bolt.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: rebuilding power steering rack & pinion Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
If I remember correctly, the nut is a crimped style lock nut. I cannot imagine why it would need to be replaced.

A castle nut would require drilling a hole in the bolt.

Yes. You are correct. And once again, I'm editing a reply! Dang! Wink

Was thinking "stover nut". Anyhow....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: