Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window front end ball joint replacement. How I did it.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Bay window front end ball joint replacement. How I did it. Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620643&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Bay window front end ball joint replacement. How I did it.[/url]

As the regulars on this site know, I've been going thru my 1970 Westphalia camper mechanically for several months since purchasing it. You can see my thread below.
One of the two remaining tasks I had to complete was replacing the front suspension ball joints. The boots were all torn up and the joints looked original to the bus. I spent a fair amount of time reading thru the old threads on ball joint replacements on bus's. I saw you needed the special VW ball joint tool to press the ball joints out. I also saw that many stated you need a huge press to get them out of the arms. I've replaced the ball joints in both my bugs but never a bus. I didn't want to shell out $150 for the VW collar tool for a one time use. I also didn't want to ship the arms with the ball joints already pressed in both ways from one of the vendors.
I decided to take a stab at replacing them with my old Habor Freight ball joint press and my existing tools. I went with Nakata's ball joints after seeing many regulars reviews of the existing ball joints.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the before shot showing the torn up ball joint boots.

I removed the steering knuckle. Make sure you get a sharp chisel and punch the knuckle and eccentric cam at the top ball joint so you can maintain your alignment camber/caster setting. Also, set the knuckle assembly on something to take the pressure off the flexible brake hose.

I wasn't surprised to see the original ball joints in these arms. The bus also had the original, worn out tie rods as well that were changed already.

I carefully cut the top of the ball joint cap off with an angle grinder. I then turned it upside down and hit the top of the ball joint stud and it came out the top.

Now, I didn't have the VW tool (collar) that fits over the two groves on the bottom of the ball joint to press it out. My solution that I haven't seen used before on this site, was to carefully cut that collar off the bottom of the ball joint, again, using an angle grinder. I was careful to not cut thru the collar into the arm. When I was almost thru the collar, I got a chisel and slid it between the collar and arm. I pried it up and down until it snapped off. I removed the entire collar. With the collar off the bottom of the ball joint, I could slide the ball joint press collar over the ball joint to press it out.

Here it is w/out the collar on the bottom of the ball joint.

Now, I could press the ball joint out with a regular collar. It was tight for sure but it did press out using a 1/2 impact gun.

Here's the arm with the rust and crud after the ball joint was removed. I used a little drum sander on my drill to remove all the rust from the arm and then greased up the arm and ball joint and pressed the new one in.

The press and 1/2 impact gun did a nice job of pressing in the joint into the arm. It was VERY tight going in and I had to let my compressor refill a few times to power it all the way flush with the arm. Certainly wear safety glasses. I had visions of the cheap press exploding. Also, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE TWO NOTCHES ON THE BALL JOINT LINED UP WITH THE NOTCHES ON THE ARMS.

Here it is all assembled. I'm glad I decided to do this w/out buying that VW tool/collar and wanted to share a option for doing this yourself in your garage. I had called a few VW shops in PHX to see how much they wanted to press the joints in/out if I brought my arms to them. One shop quoted $300! The other wasn't much cheaper. The total cost of this job was $29 per ball joint, a couple of $3.00 dollar grinding disks. I already had the harbor freight ball joint press that I think I paid $50 bucks for a couple of years ago when I did my 67 bugs ball joints.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, now do mine Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Nice, now do mine Very Happy

HA! Very Happy I still have to do the drivers side!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great write-up! I'm planning on tackling the ball joints this spring and this will be a great source of information and pictures.

They call my home the land of snow.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. You probably figured out why shops tend to charge a premium for this job. It is tedious and time consuming.

Now, I am curious as to whether your ball joint tool will remove the two ball joints on the other side. It isn't uncommon to encounter a joint that needs a giant press to remove. You might get lucky, though. Let us know what happens.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Nice work. You probably figured out why shops tend to charge a premium for this job. It is tedious and time consuming.

Now, I am curious as to whether your ball joint tool will remove the two ball joints on the other side. It isn't uncommon to encounter a joint that needs a giant press to remove. You might get lucky, though. Let us know what happens.

Oh boy... Now you jinxed me!! Very Happy

I hear ya! When I did my 67 bugs ball joints, a couple put up a fight but with the press under load, smaking the arm around the joints w/a BFH helps too.
Ideally, it would be nice to have that VW collar and a 30 ton shop press to make quick work of this job if you were at a shop being paid to do this work. I'm off this week so I have the extra 30 minutes to grind the collar off. I also think the heat from grinding the collar off helped loosen them up to come out w/that press.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Oh boy... Now you jinxed me!! Very Happy

I hear ya! When I did my 67 bugs ball joints, a couple put up a fight but with the press under load, smaking the arm around the joints w/a BFH helps too.
Ideally, it would be nice to have that VW collar and a 30 ton shop press to make quick work of this job if you were at a shop being paid to do this work. I'm off this week so I have the extra 30 minutes to grind the collar off. I also think the heat from grinding the collar off helped loosen them up to come out w/that press.

Have you seen the videos of guys running a bead of weld around the inside to heat things up?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Have you seen the videos of guys running a bead of weld around the inside to it?

I did see that on youtube with him using that arc welder. I actually tried that with the lower ball joint and my mig welder. I got a good bead all the way around the inside, immediantly dunked it in cold water, and nothing.. It did not budge. I'm sure the rod and arc got the ball joint MUCH hotter.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Did you use penetrating oil on the ball joints?
Next time put a few drops of gun oil down the air fitting on your impact gun and it will hit harder.
Thanks
Tcash
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on making-do with the tools you had. This is on my list of upcoming jobs I need to tackle on my bus.

Thanks for the inspiration!
-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.

What did your old joints measure at before removal? They have the hole for a zerk fitting, so if they didn't have busted boots in a sandy environment, they could have lasted forever…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi
Did you use penetrating oil on the ball joints?
Next time put a few drops of gun oil down the air fitting on your impact gun and it will hit harder.
Thanks
Tcash

I did spray some penetrating oil on the ball joints though they were so tight, I'm not sure it penetrated into the pressed area.

10-4 on the air tool oil! I'm just limited on a smallish compressor.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Nice job.

What did your old joints measure at before removal? They have the hole for a zerk fitting, so if they didn't have busted boots in a sandy environment, they could have lasted forever…

Here's the VW ball joint torn down.

The upper ball joint had an 1/8" up/down play. Sloppy. The lower ball joint had no perceviable up/down play in it. I probably could of gotten away with installing a new boot and running it. As I mentioned, I knew these were 45 year old ball joints and I'm sure better quality than what I installed. I just wanted 4 new ball joints on the bus as all the other suspension parts are new as well.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wcfvw69"]
asiab3 wrote:

What did your old joints measure at before removal?
Here's the VW ball joint torn down.

The upper ball joint had an 1/8" up/down play. Sloppy. The lower ball joint had no perceviable up/down play in it. I probably could of gotten away with installing a new boot and running it. As I mentioned, I knew these were 45 year old ball joints and I'm sure better quality than what I installed. I just wanted 4 new ball joints on the bus as all the other suspension parts are new as well.

Yeah .125" is well out of the .080" wear limit. Bummer you cut up the old one, I would have gladly taken the VW one for another few lifetimes of service.

Did you drill for zerks in the new joints?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Did you drill for zerks in the new joints?

No, I didn't. If it was going to be a daily driver, I might have. This bus won't have more than a few thousand miles a year put on it. I've read these Nakata ball joints are pretty good quality and if so, they'll out live me and my ownership of this bus. Very Happy

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow up, I took apart the drivers side steering knuckle today to inspect the original ball joints. The upper had probably a 1/16 to 3/32" up and down play. The lower ball joint had just a hint of up and down play. I probably could of installed new boots and grease fittings on them and been fine. Since I had the new ball joints, I said what the hell and installed them. I did the same procedures as the passenger side at the start of this thread.

Both ball joints required some good hammer blows on the arms around the ball joints with the ball joint press under full removal load. Both came out with just the press and hammer blows. I was using a 1/2 impact and a small compressor that had to refill a few times while impacting them off. Both ball joints went in fine with the ball joint press. I think the key was using the little dremel sanding drum to remove all the rust and then smoothing it out inside the arm where the ball joint presses in. I then used wheel bearing grease on the arm and ball joint to help the new ball joints slide in.

After installing and reassembling the knuckle, I installed a new sway bar since my original snapped. I then pumped in probably a tube of grease on the four grease serts on the torsion tubes until it started to come out the arm seals. I also greased the bell crank.

As an interesting side note-

This bus had the original VW ball joints. They all still had plenty of grease in them dispite the split boots and the play wasn't horrible as mentioned above. I took it for a road test after installing all the new joints. I have to say I was shocked how tight and like new the bus drove. All the tire rods are also new. The steering box was gone thru and resealed and adjusted. The new ball joints are not "too tight" and the steering returns to center. On the freeway, I noticed it didn't follow the ruts like it did before. It also held in it's lane much better when a large vehicle passed me. The other odd thing was the bus pulled a bit to the right when braking before I did this work. The front brakes were all replaced a few months ago. I checked the drum brake adjustments while it was in the air and both were pretty close. It NO longer pulls when you brake. I'd heard worn ball joints could contribute to a brake pull but now have experinced it being true.
In all, I had about 9 hours in labor doing this complete job.

PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many ft-lbs is your impact wrench?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
How many ft-lbs is your impact wrench?

Honestly, I don't know. It's a top of the line, professional Mac impact gun bought off a Mac truck 25 years ago.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you were able to get it done without too much agony. Did you have to destroy that one good original ball joint to remove it? If so, too bad. I would much rather use a set of four good originals than any of the new stuff available.

Also good to hear that the steering wasn't too stiff after the install. My local VW guy has had problems with new joints being much too stiff after install. Makes the steering very tight and it will not return to center, as you mentioned.

I will be doing ball joints on my single cab soon. I think I have a set of trailing arms with four good joints and bad boots, so I may just freshen them up and install them whole. I know, I will be cheating.
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup... I did both of my buses with Nakata BJs. I used a similar method of cutting off the collars and used a 1 7/8" deep impact socket on the press. I did have a HF 20T press, but even then, it was terrifying anticipating the explosion of the ball joint breaking free. It was so loud one time that my neighbor ran over thinking I shot myself in my garden shed! I'm really not that depressed, I thought. He's a great neighbor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: