Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Washer no squirt
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Washer no squirt Reply with quote

My windshield washer will not squirt. The washer motor operates and I've cleaned the nozzles with a needle. There was an inch of scum in the bottom of the washer fluid tank and the end of the pump was scummy. I assume there is blockage in the tubing from the pump to the nozzle. I wanted to blow compressed air through the tubing up to the nozzles but I've been unable to remove the tubing from the pump. My plan is to cut the tubing from the pump, blow air, and install a check valve and some new tubing at the pump. Because of being unable to remove the tubing from the pump I have not been able to verify that the pump will actually move fluid. It may have internal blockage from trying to pump scum. I will verify that the pump moves fluid before using compressed air in the tubing.

If the nozzles or tubing are blocked with scum what are my chances of rupturing the tubing from the pump to the nozzles with compressed air?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer no squirt Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

If the nozzles or tubing are blocked with scum what are my chances of rupturing the tubing from the pump to the nozzles with compressed air?

I would imagine that the chance is really good considering the age of the tubing and the relatively low pressures that the system was designed to operate under. Also, if you don't disconnect the hoses from the squirter jets, I would bet that the blockage just dams up at that point since the jet orifice is so much smaller than the tubing.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer no squirt Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

I would imagine that the chance is really good considering the age of the tubing and the relatively low pressures that the system was designed to operate under. Also, if you don't disconnect the hoses from the squirter jets, I would bet that the blockage just dams up at that point since the jet orifice is so much smaller than the tubing.

It would seem more sensible to blow air into the nozzles with the tubing off the pump. I've read some horror stories about the tubing to the nozzles being dropped into the black hole under the dashboard and/or tubing replacement.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine stopped working once with a nearly full tank; I primed the hoses from the nozzle end and it started working again. Worth a shot.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Mine stopped working once with a nearly full tank; I primed the hoses from the nozzle end and it started working again. Worth a shot.

That's a good idea. I have a squirt bottle and I'll fill it with washer fluid as pump some in at the nozzles. Maybe I can push the scum back into the pump and grind it up. I'll be back with the results.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOILA
EUREKA
FABULOUS

This is the tool that did the job.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I filled a wash bottle with some windshield washer fluid, put some in the reservoir, squirted the fluid into the nozzles with as much seal and pressure that I could get, turned on the wipers and pulled the squirt lever. Fluid up and over the pop top.

thanks to joetiger for the help to a simple solution.

DUH:
Why didn't I think of that first before cleaning the nozzles with a needle, dropping the reservoir, checking power to the pump, attempting to remove the tubing, attempting to blow air into the pump by mouth with some heat shrink, giving up, putting the reservoir back in, ordering a check valve, and posting on TheSamba?

Aloha
tp
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LTBeck41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Squirter Nozzel Reply with quote

How is the squirter nozzle removed? Pry from outside or is there some darn clip under the dash?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Squirter Nozzel Reply with quote

LTBeck41 wrote:
How is the squirter nozzle removed? Pry from outside or is there some darn clip under the dash?

Grab with pliers, 1/4 twist & pull out. Don't lose the tubing down the hole... Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: