Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Transaxle / Engine Conversion? How many miles?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Syncro Transmission/Engine? How many miles on your transaxle?
SVX Engine
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
H6
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
1.8T
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
TDI
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Subaru 2.5
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Subaru 2.2
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Zetec
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bostig
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stock VW
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Other
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 23

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Syncro Transaxle / Engine Conversion? How many miles? Reply with quote

I am looking for a recent poll on engine conversions and transaxle mileage. There is a lot of talk about what engines are too much torque/horsepower for the Syncro transaxle and life expectancy. I thought a recent survey would be helpful.

Experiences with what you have been running and any issues would also be a benefit for those who are looking at engine conversions in the future. I don't believe a recent poll has been done.

There are some really good threads here that discuss some of these issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start off with mine.

EJ22 in my 1987 Syncro Westfalia.
It had a rebuilt tranny in it when purchased. It went about 70k miles when the transaxle started to make a whining noise. When it was opened up it was the main shaft bearing failure. I believe this was due to not having the flange angles correct and a vibration in the propshaft. (Self inflicted) Embarassed

I have a rebuilt in there now with 18K miles on it with no issues yet. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are quite a few variables to take into account.
Transmission mileage at conversion time.
Rebuilt transmission at conversion time?
What upgrades were installed at rebuilt, oiling plates etc
What tire size is being run?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I think there are quite a few variables to take into account.
Transmission mileage at conversion time.
Rebuilt transmission at conversion time?
What upgrades were installed at rebuilt, oiling plates etc
What tire size is being run?

I agree there are many variables. Maybe too many?

Maybe something like:

1. Engine - EJ22
2. Transaxle Miles at conversion - 0
3. Upgrades - Bearing retainer plate, Oiling Plates, Aluminum gear carrier, Aluminum main housing, Aluminum bell housing, decoupler, 4:86 RP, stock gears, trans temp gauge.
4. 215/75/15 tires
5. Lift measurement from wheel center to fender lip - 19"
6. Gear Oil used - Mobil Delvac
7. Miles on transaxle now - 18k
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jael, I would include driving style. I baby my drive train.
djsixbillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play

1. Engine - 1.8T
2. Transaxle Miles at conversion - 160k
3. Upgrades - None, all stock
4. Tires - 215/75/15 Yokohama AT
5. Lift - None, stock springs with OME shocks
6. Gear Oil used - Brad Penn 80W-90 (will probably go with Mobil Delvac at the next change)
7. Miles on transaxle now - 163k (just getting started!)
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question, but do syncro transaxles have the 3-4 slider issue that the 2wd have? Im presuming that they do but having never torn into one myself, i dont know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused- Confused

Your polling for type of engine, but asking about trans miles?

How are you going to connect poll results to miles?

Am I missing something?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
I'm confused- Confused

Your polling for type of engine, but asking about trans miles?

How are you going to connect poll results to miles?

Am I missing something?

Poll was for what engine you have.
Your post should fill in the blanks.

I was hoping that the poll and responses would coincide. I know, this isn't working like I had hoped. Sorry.
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 1.9TDI AFN
2. rebuilt gearbox at time of engine conversion
3, Albins 3rd and 4th, oiling plates. 6.17RP
4. 205/80/16 AT tyres
5. 19" wheel centre-lip
6. Standard recommended oil
7. 20,000

No known issues, don't abuse it but don't drive like a OAP either....
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Syncro has been ABA swapped and I have no clue how many miles the trans had, given that the van is a 90 but the trans is an 87 (iirc). The van has 167k on it, the rest is up in the air.

Trans was just rebuilt so has about 10 miles on it.
ABA 2.0 15*
215-70/16 BFG AT/KO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: trans Reply with quote

I'll play! Engine-GW 2.3 Transaxel miles at conversion - 0 GW rebuild Upgrades oiling plates, decoupler, 617 gears, trans temp gauge, slider. 215-75-15 bfg. At. Lift GW 2" Gear oil 201. Miles on transaxel now. 55,000 Today broken in driveway! Dam GW! Will pull it out Tuesday. Pops out of 3rd , and 3rd and 4 th grind, dam slider. Will be at Arizona transaxel next week! Crying or Very sad
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this Van(full build details, http://www.gowesty.com/sale_details.php?id=661) It is a Go Westy, Sold by them in 06 @ 192000 miles. Go Westy Rebuilt the gear box changing final drive and third and fourth ratios. It runs the BFG 215 75 15 tires. I just replaced them do to dry rot. Tread depth was like new, not worn at all. Tires were a late 2005 production. The wear on them is consistent with the miles on the Odometer and the rebuild date of the van. It has a 2.3 GW engine. I have no Idea how it was used? It may have driven seven thousand miles through the ocean doing beach front races or pulled fishing boats out of the Ocean daily? Somebody in Cali should do a carfax and solve that part of this vans story. It was a surf rig for sure. Trans needed to be rebuilt at 199, 800, now a click over 200,00 miles. It will not stay in first and has some serious kick in the shifter when decelerating in 3 and 4 gears. The third and fourth kick is inconsistent. The decoupler is in op and front shaft flange has a lot of play causing driveshaft vibration. I'll stick to topic and stop. The 2.3 and trans at under 10k miles, are moving the van, but do not inspire confidence or make for a useful 4wd.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1987 Syncro Westy has around 390,000 miles on it. The Tiico engine was installed in 2001. It has no identifiable torque.

The transmission was rebuilt by the PO somewhere around 275,000 miles. Still going strong although it does grind going into some gears, also occasionally pops out of first. Since I bought it at 297,000 miles, there has been no noticeable change in the transmission performance. A seal let go and was replaced about a year ago, that's it.

In other words, I'm at around 105,000 miles on this rebuild. Mostly highway but a lot of offroad as well. Tires are currently BFG 215 75R15.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your quest to determine what factors affect transaxle longevity, besides total engine power, I suggest you look closely at Tire Diameter (stock 25.3"), Tire Weight (stock 23 lbs) and gearing (stock 4.86 ring and pinion with .85 4th), gearing speed (stock 71mph@4000rpm gas) data.

In my opinion, tall gearing increases transaxle wear. Large tires also increase transaxle wear. Motors with high power, tend to be used with taller gearing and larger tires.

Syncroghia went through 5 transaxles before he abandoned his chipped 5cyl AAT Tdi. He claimed he had about 230 horses (slightly more than an SVX), and about 350ft lbs of torque. 30.5" diameter tires, with 4.57 R&P and .7 4th, equivalent to 83mph@3000rpm

I am also on my 5th transaxle in my Syncro, with a similar motor, not chipped, 5cyl tdi, 140 horses, 213 ft lbs. The first 3 trannies recycled used cases. Bad idea. Trannies would pop out of granny or reverse when using engine braking. Plus tranny #3 had a bolt fall out inside the low gear housing which cracked and spewed gear oil all over my driveway.

Tranny #4 I cracked main bearing housing, by me jerking someone out of the sand, repeatedly, my bad. Tranny #5 is going strong with about 20k miles currently. 5.43 R&P, 30.5" tires that weigh 44 pounds PLUS the rim (a stock rim is 18 pounds, most 15 or 16" rims are 23 pounds, I happen to be using 14.2 pound CLK rims), .7 4th, 70mph@3000rpm

Alaric also has a 5 Cyl AEL Tdi, he uses 29.3" diameter tires. Not sure of his ring and pinion or 4th, or gearing speed, but he's had multiple trannies. We suspect the 5 cylinder motors are particularly problematic with Vanagon transaxles.

Paul Guard, "gears" on Samba, recently had to open up his tranny for a loose pinion nut. He runs an SVX syncro with 27.8" tires, I don't know his gearing or tranny mileage.

I have an 85 2wd Westy, on its second water boxer, with 243,000 miles. The tranny is still original. It does whine on coast (suspect main bearing), gets quiet under power. 25.5" tire that weighs 25 pounds, on a 15" alloy, stock .85 4th and 4.86 ring and pinion. 71mph@4000rpm

I had a Subaru 2.2 powered 86 Syncro Westy with 27x8.5x14 tires, stock gearing. 3rd gear slider broke at 120k miles. This was after I used the van to drive 1000 miles each way, all in one day (14-17 hours with fuel and food stops), from Santa Fe to Santa Barbara and back, 2 round trips. The tranny failed after the 5th 1000 mile trip. It began to be difficult to shift into 3rd, and about 400 miles later the tranny locked up in 3rd gear and the van had to be towed.

I later learned anectdotal info from OZ, that vans that run more than 4 hours at a time, tend to destroy trannies. I suspect heat buildup. Therefore I suggest monitoring tranny operating temperature and keeping it below 170F by any means necessary, tranny cooler, slower travel, stop more often, whatever it takes.

Things that increase tranny heat are Freeway Speed, above stock tire weight, above stock tire diameter, and taller than stock gearing.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

That was lots of good information! Thanks
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

That was lots of good information! Thanks
Syncroweekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Engine - EJ25
2. Transaxle Miles at conversion – 144K
3. Upgrades – None but transaxle was rebuilt at time of conversion
4. 225/70/15 tires
5. Lift measurement from wheel center to fender lip – 18.75"
6. Gear Oil used – Redline MT90 for about 33K miles, Swepco 201 for the last 2K
7. Miles on transaxle now – 179K
I think I baby my transaxle, no serious off-roading, but I have definitely done lots of 70mph highway cruising. No issues to date.
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Things that increase tranny heat are Freeway Speed, above stock tire weight, above stock tire diameter, and taller than stock gearing.

Great info and interesting thread. I'm wondering how much fluid choice impacts longevity or ability to deal with marginally out of bounds operation.

Brian
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
In my opinion, tall gearing increases transaxle wear. Large tires also increase transaxle wear. Motors with high power, tend to be used with taller gearing and larger tires.

Thanks for your input. I agree larger, heavier, tires can be an attributing factor in early transmission failure. We all love the look and additional ground clearance that a tall tires give. My next set will probably be a down size to help with my gearing, power, and hopefully transmission life. I just have not decided yet. I really wanted the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac but the only size in a 15" is the next size up from what I am running.

It really sucks, cause BIGGER is better, right? Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: