Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signals not working
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

What happens when the 4-ways are on? Try rocking the 4/way switch on and off 10 times very firmly.

Mark
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

Hmm, didn't try that. I pulled the wiring off that socket, sprayed with contact cleaner, greased and replaced them all. No love there. Starting to think it's the switch itself but I don't know how to confirm it. Pulling the connector and testing the terminals from the switch seems the most reliable way but I don't have the patience for that today. I'll see if I can find a pinout for the switch that might help.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
What happens when the 4-ways are on? Try rocking the 4/way switch on and off 10 times very firmly.

Huh. They work if the headlight switch is off, they don't work if the switch is in either position…I worked it a bunch of times, nothing changed. So what does that point to? A bad turn signal switch?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

Embarassed

I replaced that bulb (l/f) not long ago and didn't use a dual filament bulb.

Embarassed

Now all is well. Of course the rear on that side decided it needed attention as well, so I have R&R it with some dielectric grease.

If only they were all this easy…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

make sure that the bottom metal contact has a good connection with the bulb(s) by bending it up a bit....
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

I had a similar issue.
Right turn signal worked.
Hazards worked.
Left turn signal would Buzz the relay.
Turn the lights to any position, No blinkers.
Used a jumper to bypass the turn signal switch. Left turn signal still buzzed.

Removed the left front bulb holder, Corrosion city. I’m going to order 2 since the right one does not look any better.

New lenses too I guess. The passenger one is cracked, I’m not sure how moisture is getting to the one on the right though.

I’m also going to get some LED bulbs for it.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

mad.macs wrote:
I’m not sure how moisture is getting to the one on the right though.

Check the rubber boot. If it's old and dry, it doesn't adhere to the the wires properly, and moisture/water drops can seep inside.

For the LED, look into "switchback" models. They look really cool!
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signals not working Reply with quote

Yah, I'm going to spend some time with some silicone when the new bulb holders and Lenses come in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: