Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst trigger shifter question.
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Hurst trigger shifter question. Reply with quote

I recently got a Hurst trigger shifter and installed it in my Type 3. It shifts fine but I noticed today that there is a little play in both the rivets on the right side that holds those plastic/delrin plates.

The play isnt much but I was wondering if thats normal. If not, is there a fix besides drilling out the rivets and installing nuts and bolts? if I leave it alone is there a possibility of the plates cracking?

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody was pretty ham handed with that shifter.

There should really not be any play on those. Sometimes you can tighten them up by smooshing the rivets a little more on the inside of the cage, but the real problem is that the holes in the plastic plates are probably a little wallowed out so the diameter of the rivets aren't as tight in the hole as they once were.

I don't really think the plates are that much more likely to crack because of it. If it shifts okay, and you don't want to replace the rivets, you can just leave it as it is. If your worried about it breaking get a set of replacement plates and a spare stock shifter now so they are on hand if the worst happens.

Bolts and nyloc nuts and a maybe one of the metal reinforcement plates are the functional solution but I can understand why you'd rather not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst trigger shifter question. Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
..... if I leave it alone is there a possibility of the plates cracking?

If one side of the top plate is allowed to lift, the other side can break if the rivets are tight. You can try to peen the rivets tight again, but they will just come loose again. The ultimate cure is my steel plate:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=813234
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: