Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Raceace24 wrote:
Talked to a guy at Gene Berg Ent. and he confirmed that there is, in fact, supposed to be a pin there. Good news is that it can be repaired ~ bad news is that it's gonna take $70.00 to fix it.... Crying or Very sad
Guess I'm going to have to talk to the guy who sold it to me about a partial or complete refund for it...

When you push the button the pin is supposed to slide up out of the way to allow the shifter to move over into reverse. Is the linkage there inside the shifter still and it's just the pin that is missing?

The dang pin is missing....and what really is weird about it is that I can't even find the hole in the internal rod where it popped out of.... Sad

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

More updates !
I installed a longer (100MM) clutch lever to compensate for the extra force required to engage the Kennedy 1700 lb Stage One clutch, which unfortunately caused my Bowden tube to end up sitting a bit out of whack. Didn't take a picture of it, but the cable was rubbing badly at the 12:00 position on the tube outlet. Going with spacers wasn't going to remedy the situation, so I decided to install adjusters on the Bowden tube attachment bracket to the transmission:
After eyeing it up, I decided to make two tabs from a length of galvanized, drilled angle bar leaving the slotted holes on the top side of the tabs and the round holes to attach to the studs on the transmission side of the bracket:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used stainless bolts and lock nuts to keep the bracket from moving laterally.

As you can see now, the cable exits right out of the center of the tube! Cool
I also read that you should have about an inch of bow in the Bowden tube downwards to attain the correct amount of slack in the cable for proper clutch adjustment to stop the clutch from chattering in first gear, so the slots in the bracket also allowed this to be possible without having to use spacers between the tube end and the bracket:

I don't know if I'm that good or I'm just lucky, but the cable now exits the tube without rubbing on the tube, the 1" of bow is there and I have the proper 1/2" inch of clutch freeplay at the pedal !!!! Very Happy

Michael E ~ Raceace24

Last edited by Raceace24 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Also changed out the spark plug wires to the right type of wires.
I purchased Taylor 409 Race wires this time mainly because I like the look of the 10.4 MM thick wires vs the spindly looking 7 or 8MM wires and I like the performance and durability of silicone wires (especially in an air-cooled application). Took my chances and went with the blue colored ones and I'm pleased with the results..
Before with the wrong-ended, black ones:

After with the bigger, correct ended ones:

I like the difference!
It was a real pain in the AZZ getting the spark plug ends to fit properly in the tinwork, (had to pull the carbs off to do it right....), but the effort was worth it! I also want to mention that using a deep well socket and some WD-40 made slipping the *tiny* wire end boot over the 10.4MM thick coil wire that I had to cut to length in order to get the right fit ....!
Also discovered the accelerator pump linkage was contacting and binding against the tinwork of the driver's side carb, so while the carbs were off, I dremel-tooled a slight groove in the to edge of the cylinder top tin..
All in all, not a bad afternoon's work ! Cool Cool Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24

Last edited by Raceace24 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Last update for today:
I received my oil filter lines from Summit racing Friday, so I decided to install them and see how good my measurements were.... Surprised

I had them made and inch and a half longer than a straight run would require because I wanted to get them away (either under or over) the exhaust pipes.
I found that they hung too low under the exhaust for my comfort, so with a little trial and error and a bit of an adjustment on my filter housing bracket, they have plenty of clearance all around and enough slack to compensate for engine movement....! Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Looks good!

I would re-locate the cyl 1 & 2 spark plug wires and move them "towards the front of the car" Or, at your view angle behind the gen/alt stand.

Away from the moving belt.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Looks great!!
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
Looks good!

I would re-locate the cyl 1 & 2 spark plug wires and move them "towards the front of the car" Or, at your view angle behind the gen/alt stand.

I tried it that way initially, but there's an interference issue with the carb linkage with the wires run behind the alternator stand.
Before I light it, I'll find a way to properly restrain them from going into the belt.

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Looking good! Is it just the angle of the picture or is your inlet hose slightly collapsed where it runs over the top of the outlet hose?

Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Looking good! Is it just the angle of the picture or is your inlet hose slightly collapsed where it runs over the top of the outlet hose?

No, I know it looks like that from the angle of the photo, but it's not pinched.

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Mr.Duncan wrote:
Looks good!

I tried it that way initially, but there's an interference issue with the carb linkage with the wires run behind the alternator stand.
Before I light it, I'll find a way to properly restrain them from going into the belt.

Well, here's my solution for my ignition wire clearance/ fitment issue.
The wires got caught up in the carb linkage when run conventionally (behind the alternator), and there was the danger of them becoming entangled in the serpentine belt as Mr Duncan so kindly pointed out, so, I found some plug wire holders on fleabay for about $12 and altered one to bolt to the double female over-sized threaded nut that was required to hold down the idler for the new serpentine belt system:
Before I altered the long clamp:

The short clamps in the kit used to hold the wires from straying to where they shouldn't be:

And the altered clamp with a capscrew used to thread into the top of the two-sided, conveniently too-long nut to hold the alternator stand and serp belt idler:

Looks pretty good and holds the wires safely and securely....! Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

My shifter came back from Gene Berg's shifter shop with the reverse lockout pin where it's supposed to be !

Next comes the engine wiring !

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

A minor update and a (possible) area of concern:
I decided to run my engine wiring across the firewall and drop the coil, oil sender and alternator wires straight down which required lengthening the wires slightly (not a big deal)

Used wire covers to kind of clean the look up a bit. I like it so far...

I also noticed (a little late at this point), that my engine at a glance appears to be tilted a bit clockwise from the rear view of the engine.
Immediately after installing the engine and putting on the exhaust, I noticed that the pea shooters weren't sticking out of the apron perfectly in alignment with the cutouts. I loosened the four trans to engine mounting bolts/ nuts and tried to turn the engine straight, but there wasn't much adjustment available there. I tweaked the pea shooters thinking they were welded incorrectly, and thought nothing more about it, because I had no real point of reference to measure the frame horns to see if they are bent.
I recently installed the engine tin and noticed the gap around the outer engine air seal was about 1/2" bigger on the right side than it is on the passenger side:

My assumption is that the frame horns are tweaked slightly and I understand that a rear truss bar setup may help resolve this situation to an extent... NOTE: The frame horns are as solid as a rock as well as EVERYTHING in the rear of the body and all of the suspension pieces..
I've been lead to believe that this is more of a cosmetic issue than it is a real mechanical concern...
Any thoughts on this one, guys.....?

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Well, no input from the friendly Samba folk in regards to my frame horn issue...
That's OK ~ Talked to my local VW guru and he thinks installing and adjusting a truss bar should remedy the small amount of horn frame twist and I've already contacted a friend who has a frame machine at his body shop who can tweak the frame horns if the truss bar doesn't help
Here's the truss bar I chose at the prompting of my VW guru:

Seems like a nice, quality setup.
Also have been accumulating oodles of parts to put on my car:

Ball socket lug nuts for the wheel studs I am installing for both my roller rims and mag wheels that will end up on the car because I've never been a big fan of wheel lug bolts, some bits and pieces for my pop-out windows, a heavy duty throttle cable setup, and a couple of chromed/ polished stainless pieces to bolt on after my car is painted. I have a bunch of other new/ performance parts I have accumulated over the past couple of years, but I can't seem find them right now...... Rolling Eyes
ALSO, after some internet and Samba related research, I have finally purchased a battery for my project car: An Optima 34/78 Deep cycle battery:

It was kind of pricey, but with my discount, I paid $185 and I've seen it go at upwards of $265 at least as far as an internet search was concerned.
I like that it's completely sealed and for a car that will unfortunately sit more than it is going to be driven, I think this was the best option for me.
AND, I decided to go with something I've never seen done here (or anywhere else, or that matter) when it comes to finishing the inner side walls of my engine compartment:
This is a pic of it as it presently sits:

I installed a polished, non-louvered stainless steel plate over top of the dynamat type butyl/ aluminum sound deadener and fiberglass matting I got from MAM over the firewall and I really like the look, but I don't really like the side pieces they provided with the kit:

They are ill-fitting, probably even if bent will rub against the carbs and I can't figure a secure and non-damaging way to mount them.
I decided to cut and glue in pieces of the black Marine vinyl I've already purchased to line the front luggage compartment with:

It's super heavy duty, should form with minimal heat applied to all curves and undulations that the side panels have in them and considering the minimal heat that they are exposed to, should hold up nicely provided I get them adhered properly...
They also will provide me with the maximum amount of space around the carbs to work/ clean and adjust them...
ALSO........
The engine should be lit and properly broken in within a month now ! Very Happy Very Happy

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Well, finally got the motor lit and the carbs set up and am slowly dialing in the clutch adjustment, but have found as a contributor to the thread has suggested, the carbs and exhaust are holding back the true power potential of my 1776 engine ( IE: short power band), so........ I've decided to bag the ICTs and the hotdog muffler and am going to purchase some new Weber IDFs and a stainless merged header/ muffler system.
Found this carb setup on CB Performance's website:
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3270.htm
I like the fact that they are about 4" narrower than a standard IDF setup and that the adjusting screws face rearward - making adjustments way easier.
Bad thing is that I have to get rid of the Pertronix Flamethrower SVDA dizzy I have on the engine. My engine builder really doesn't like SVDA dizzys anyway... Gonna go with a Magnaspark system:
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2000.htm
As for the exhaust, I found this system from CIP1:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C19-251-12-SS
It looks a lot like a Sidewinder, but is 1/3 of the price!
I've gotten a lot of stuff over the last few years from CIP1, so I'm guessing that the quality should be relatively good..

I'm not particularly driven to light fire to $$$, but if it isn't right, I wasted all of the $$ in the first place...

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Quick update:
The new Weber IDF's are at my engine builder having the float heights set, the intake manifolds port-matched to the heads the jets set up and generally being gone over, so now I am focusing on putting the new upgraded components I recently purchased onto the car.
Installed the CIP1 Sidewinder knockoff:

The headers went on with little problem, but the back side of the muffler pinched up against the front head pipe (my guess is that the mounting flange wasn't welded on properly), so I had to fight a little bit with CIP1's customer service people and ended up having to threaten that I would call my CC company and get a chargeback because of the defect.
Got my replacement muff and if fits nicely.
All in all, they are a real bargain considering the price of an original set of Sidewindwers or ceramic coated TrilMil knockoffs
Coming up, I install the new CB Performance electric fuel pump and the Revolution Electronics Electric fuel pump controller....! Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

That motor is going to breeeeaaaathhh. Cool

Love the purple/blue accents on the flat black.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Ok,
Because I am replacing my Dual Weber single barrel ICT34s with the bigger Dual double barrel Weber IDF40 carbs, I had to replace my Pertronix Flamethrower III SVDA dizzy with a centrifugal advance only distributor because of the lack of vacuum ports with the new intake manifolds and with that, I decided to go with a CB Performance Magnaspark dizzy (which I understand is a really solid upgrade from the Pertronix unit..) which necessitated removal and replacement of my stock fuel pump.
I didn't care for the fluctuating fuel pressures I was reading on my fuel pressure gauge and because of the Magnaspark's oversized cap, the OE fuel pump had to go anyway..
Got a Carter 3lb psi fuel pump from CB Performance:

Also bought a fuel pump controller from Revolutionary Electronics because with it, when you turn the ignition on, it primes the pump for three seconds to fill the fuel bowls up and will only turn on with a tach pulse, so whenever the engine isn't running, the fuel pump wont operate - I really like that safety aspect of this controller:

Think it turned out to be a pretty clean installation too:

On the engine side of it, I yanked the FlamerthrowerIII dizzy and coil, and installed the fuel pump block-off plate and Magnaspark dizzy and coil:

Between the exhaust upgrade, the carb and distributor/wire upgrades, I believe that the full power potential of my 1776 mill should really be realized now ! Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Have you installed your Dakota digital cluster yet? Would love to see that finished as I am contemplating on purchasing it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Ok,
Because I am replacing my Dual Weber single barrel ICT34s with the bigger Dual double barrel Weber IDF40 carbs, I had to replace my Pertronix Flamethrower III SVDA dizzy with a centrifugal advance only distributor because of the lack of vacuum ports with the new intake manifolds and with that, I decided to go with a CB Performance Magnaspark dizzy (which I understand is a really solid upgrade from the Pertronix unit..) which necessitated removal and replacement of my stock fuel pump.
I didn't care for the fluctuating fuel pressures I was reading on my fuel pressure gauge and because of the Magnaspark's oversized cap, the OE fuel pump had to go anyway..
Got a Carter 3lb psi fuel pump from CB Performance:

Also bought a fuel pump controller from Revolutionary Electronics because with it, when you turn the ignition on, it primes the pump for three seconds to fill the fuel bowls up and will only turn on with a tach pulse, so whenever the engine isn't running, the fuel pump wont operate - I really like that safety aspect of this controller:

Think it turned out to be a pretty clean installation too:

On the engine side of it, I yanked the FlamerthrowerIII dizzy and coil, and installed the fuel pump block-off plate and Magnaspark dizzy and coil:

Between the exhaust upgrade, the carb and distributor/wire upgrades, I believe that the full power potential of my 1776 mill should really be realized now ! Cool

Great work. Engine looks awesome..

One thing I would advise is to cover the wire from the fuel pump controller to the fuel pump as is passes via the body opening. Wouldn't want it to get damage against the metal.
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

evillrdnikon wrote:
Have you installed your Dakota digital cluster yet? Would love to see that finished as I am contemplating on purchasing it.

Not yet ~ it will be going in this winter. Had some issues getting with final engine adjustment and am just now getting to that aspect of the project.
It looks like a very complete, well engineered product though !

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: