Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jersey dune buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking buggy.
Meant to ask earlier, can you share your tire/wheel size combo?

Thanks!
'70 Airloom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looks awesome!

I like your bumper solution. I was just trying to decide what to do about mine, it sticks out too far too.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash looks great. Whole buggy is right up my alley. Give the dual exhaust a chance, I like mine and the sound is bada$$.
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquavette wrote:
Great looking buggy.

Thanks!
Thanks. Almost complete. Wheels are made by Pacer. 7x15 on front wheels / back are 8x15. Back tires are 275/60R15. Front tires are P225/60R15. That is as big as I could get on the front. Good luck and hope this helps.
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
Dash looks great. Whole buggy is right up my alley. Give the dual exhaust a chance, I like mine and the sound is bada$$.
I fired it up the other night in the shop.... no baffles..... sitting on a small bucket....hand on steering wheel. Feeling the vibration and hearing the rumble I don't think they are going anywhere soon. I am going to wait and seen on the horsepower thing. Say what they want I agree with you on the sound!!!!
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old jersey wrote:
aquavette wrote:
Great looking buggy.

Thanks!
Thanks. Almost complete. Wheels are made by Pacer. 7x15 on front wheels / back are 8x15. Back tires are 275/60R15. Front tires are P225/60R15. That is as big as I could get on the front. Good luck and hope this helps.

Thank you!

It looks great!
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question, what are the red and green dash lights for? I had two installed on my buggy when I tore it down but they weren't wired in... I'm assuming the red one is and idiot light?
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschmi wrote:
Stupid question, what are the red and green dash lights for? I had two installed on my buggy when I tore it down but they weren't wired in... I'm assuming the red one is and idiot light?
The red light is the oil pressure idiot light...... Eye catcher compared to the oil pressure gauge that I monitor engine with. The green light is the alternator idiot light. Both are LED's. On the alternator the LED will not pull enough current so there is another ( 2 watt I think ) light up under the dash that is black out. They are wired up parallel.
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschmi wrote:
There is no stupid questions Wink
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old jersey, it doesn't really matter as long as you know what's what on your dash lights, but on older VWs that had two different color dummy lights, green was for oil pressure and red was for generator output. Later model year beetles had both indicator lights in red. I like having them different colors so wired fixtures that were red and green like yours, but in the reverse of what yours are assigned to.
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Old jersey, it doesn't really matter as long as you know what's what on your dash lights, but on older VWs that had two different color dummy lights, green was for oil pressure and red was for generator output. Later model year beetles had both indicator lights in red. I like having them different colors so wired fixtures that were red and green like yours, but in the reverse of what yours are assigned to.
I didn't realize that. Now I will have to add that to my finish up punch list. I am sure the next buggy will be a lot easier. The only build manual I have is the help and advice I get is from you guys that know this stuff. Thanks
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not get to work on Synergy as much as I would have like too. My wife signed us up for Color Me Rad 5K race Saturday morning in Knoxville. I am still alive!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A stop at the Cracker Barrel, flea market, round up sprayed around the house and finally......finally back to the buggy.

Rolled her outside for the first glimpse of sunshine....more like a glimpse of sunset.... to wash her down before installing the seats.

Installed seat and ready to test drive after church tomorrow.

old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First test drive and we all are excited.

20 miles and all is well
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at the shop and there is some tuning to be done.

Need some help here guys.

1# I took some of the positive camber out of the rear when I was mocking up the chassis. With engine mounted and no body I went a little to far. I now have 2 degrees negative camber with it road ready.

Question I have is it ok to run 0 camber if ride height is not a issue. I'm not up on how camber effect toe in. I would like it to be at '0'

If so how many degrees should I put back into spring to make up for 2 degrees negative on the wheels?

2#Front springs. 1st I removed top spring plates and removed 2 sections of the springs. Did not seem to help. 2nd thing I done was to remove 2 sections from bottom spring. Still did not seem to help much. But after driving it....it work....a little to much. It is sitting with only about 2" of clearance between tires and fenders. I am afraid tires are going to hit the fenders.

I like the ride but it lowered it!!! I am not after the lower look but the softer ride.

I have a extra set of springs. Should I install a full set back in bottom or top or what?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creep back up on the springs. Put the lower in and run them to see how it feels. Remind me, do you have gas charged shocks on the front? If so, it will make it ride harsh. Also, tire pressure with those tires, about 12 pounds.

Rear, the Toe is set by using the slotted holes in the spring plate to move the axle fore/aft. Camber does have an effect on Toe, but usually only at the extremes of lifted or lowered. Zero Camber is about perfect for setting Toe.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Creep back up on the springs. Put the lower in and run them to see how it feels. Remind me, do you have gas charged shocks on the front? If so, it will make it ride harsh. Also, tire pressure with those tires, about 12 pounds.

Rear, the Toe is set by using the slotted holes in the spring plate to move the axle fore/aft. Camber does have an effect on Toe, but usually only at the extremes of lifted or lowered. Zero Camber is about perfect for setting Toe.

I do not have gas charged shocks..they are oil filled. I was just so surprised that it seemed so stiff setting in the shop then after driving it seemed to settle in. It was on front rubber snubs and now it is not.

I will put full set back in the bottom first then. They are easier to do then the top.

I thought I seen somewhere that changing camber would affect toe in. But after I thought about it ...it was on modifying spring arm to lower a bug to the ground.

As bad as I hate to I guess it will be trail and error or adjusting rear spring plates to get it to 0 camber.
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old jersey wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

I do not have gas charged shocks..they are oil filled. I was just so surprised that it seemed so stiff setting in the shop then after driving it seemed to settle in. It was on front rubber snubs and now it is not.

I will put full set back in the bottom first then. They are easier to do then the top.

I thought I seen somewhere that changing camber would affect toe in. But after I thought about it ...it was on modifying spring arm to lower a bug to the ground.

As bad as I hate to I guess it will be trail and error or adjusting rear spring plates to get it to 0 camber.

Thanks for the help
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not as bad as you think. Measure floor to fender lip dead center of rear wheel, jack up buggy until you hit the look you want, re-measure the fender lip. Then use this guide:

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

And dial it right in.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Quote:

Not as bad as you think. Measure floor to fender lip dead center of rear wheel, jack up buggy until you hit the look you want, re-measure the fender lip. Then use this guide:

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

And dial it right in.

You are the Man Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what I am looking for.

A little homework sitting in my lazy boy is a lot better than climbing under buggy.

I hope to be able to shake you hand someday.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the Manx Club and bring that cool buggy to Manx On The Banx in October, I will buy you a beer one evening. The Manx Club events are laid back, all welcome and a blast to go to.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: