Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 Westfalia Deluxe and sundry Tales of Constance
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: 1979 Westfalia Deluxe and sundry Tales of Constance Reply with quote

Hello everyone and welcome to the tales of Constance. Constance is not only the (unnofficial) name of my bus, but what I wish for it as well. I hope what follows may inspire or help others to continue to pursue the experience that is, a BayWindow Westfalia.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was many many moons ago when I first met Constance. I spied her in a church parking lot. She had a bleached out "for sale" sign half heartedly shoved in the drivers side back window (between the wardrobe). Excited to even see one on the road I had to stop and say hello. While I was admiring her beautiful originality, the owner approached and conversation ensued.

Constance was her first "new" automobile and she loved all 170,000 miles she put in it commuting in I95 DC traffic and camping with her kids during summer vacations.

She bought it Brand new from the dealer and even had them install a Blaupunkt tapedeck radio (which AM and FM still work but the tape incessantly cycles sides). She explained how she kept organized ALL the maintenance and other paperwork going backwards, including the original window sticker and dealer paperwork. She was a pleasure to talk with and after all was said and done, I asked her how much she was hoping to get for the bus. $10,000.00 USD is what she replied. I wasn't looking to actually purchase another vehicle at the time, let alone a 30 year old Volkswagen bus, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to admire and inquire.

I thanked her for her time, Praised her apparent love of the bus life, and wished them both the best of luck. Maybe someone "in the know", would be willing to pay her that much, however it was just too much for me. Especially considering the additional amount of money (let alone elbow grease, sweat and tears) it would take to make the bus "campable" again.

I never saw it, or her again and they totally dropped out of my mind, until one fateful day.

Warp 2 years later to a Wednesday of Thanksgiving weekend and a phone call from my father. " Get some cloths on that can get muddy and I'll pick you up and fill you in on route. " Nothing like holiday catastrophes, but when a friend of a friend of my father's experienced a hot water pipe rupture at an inwall floor penetration while they were away, we were "tapped" to save the day. Apparently Plumbers were not available... and family was coming for thanksgiving... and there was water everywhere... and it was a "friend in need". So off we go to save the day.

We arrive and meet this wonderfully nice and appreciative lady and of course we fix it. I will save you the details, however during the process we needed some form of tape to reattach the small rectangle of drywall I carefully cut out to access/repair said leak. The homeowner stated she had some packing tape in the garage, so off I went to retrieve it.

As I enter the garage I come face to face with the beauty I had admired o so long ago. It is only then I remembered how I had met "them" once before. I paused to admire the bus all over again and noticed the for sale sign was gone. I retrieved some clear packing tape and after securing said cutout, reintroduced myself. We all had a good laugh finding out we had met already. I inquired about the bus and she explained how she had hoped her now grown kids would inherit it. However they weren't capable of the task. So dad and I went out to the garage and admired the bus all over. We discussed it amongst ourselves and asked her how much she wanted. She said she was looking for $5000.00 and once again, it was just not time.

I thanked her profusely for letting me scamper all over her bus and she responded in kind for helping a "stranger".

Dad and i were not expecting anything more than another successful father son mission accomplished. Which it was! And scars remind us the past is real.
Yet once again... "Constance" slips from my thoughts.

Many moons pass and a small hand addressed snail mail arrives addressed to me personally. Intrigued, I open it to find a gift card and a hand written note asking me to call her to discuss a price I wouldn't refuse.

Long story short, I have spent the last 3 years LOVING, looking at, sitting in, driving, camping, washing, waxing, painting, repairing, replacing, upgrading, showing, cruising and sharing this beautiful automobile I have come to call Constance with anyone who wants to step back in time and reflect on their memories or experience the comforts of the second story bedroom and first floor kitchen dining room area.

There's more to tell, however I'll save that for each set of photos I upload as time allows.

Long story short, After consuming this and ratwells awesome websites, obtaining my Bently manual, (amung others), and accomplishing many successful missions, the beautified and improved Constance has placed in vw shows like bug out and the flying circus vw cruisers event as all original.

I was hesitant to create a post, happy to live vicariously through my fellow bay window owner posters. However, I feel this is her story and who else can start it but me? A story that, when reviewed and commented on by future folk, will keep it constant...yet ever growing...just like i hope Constance can be...constantly growing better.

Thank you all in advance for your comments and advice. You're posts have been and will undoubtedly continue to be a wealth of knowledge, support and inspiration.

Without further adieu I am pleased to introduce you to...Constance....as she was when I brought her home in March 2012.

Best copilot/photo bomber.

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
(sold - but not forgotten)
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, and smashing bus!

Made my day!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beaut!
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story! And a well kept bus! Congrats!
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! That I95 traffic must have been one brutal commute over the years. Gorgeous bus! Congrats.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's one of the best VW stories I've heard!
You have an awesome bus, and I look forward to following this thread closely.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Great bus and great story! I'd really enjoy seeing more as you work further on it. Very Happy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: 1979 Westfalia Deluxe and sundry Tales of Constance Reply with quote

Very nice. Welcome to the Bay Window Forum!

Have you ran your M-Plate? If you require help, please post a clear picture of the M-Plate and someone can run it for you.
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and an awesome find! Change those fuel lines for some cheap insurance. Any cool accessories in there? The yellow pail? Front snack table? I love that it came from the original owner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Tales of Constance, the saga contiues Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, kind words and appreciated advice.

Yes, I immediately performed many of the safety concerning issues and "some" are still (always) pending. Fuel lines/filter/pump refresh, check, fuel vapor recovery lines in the overflow loop to prevent raw gas flowing out when parked katywampus on a hill after filling it up to the top, check, 20W50 Royal Purple XPR Oil change, check. brakes and lines, check (my yellow calipers look great under my white rims). Starter, check and oh so many more. Undeniable there is still a whole list of things that need to be accomplished before we take to the roads this season (e.g. new canvas/seals, ebrake et al. cables, heater dump boxes, bearings, cv joints etc.).

However I still drive it to the same trash collection center it has been going to for the last 30 years. The compactor operators always enjoy and frequently comment on how quiet the bus has become, however I will save the screaming front brakes adventure for yet a later post.

As a teaser, some of the apparent missing things are the elusive yellow pail LID as she retains her original pail, the front window curtain, (was this an extra option at the time and maybe the OO didn't purchase it?), the jack, some engine tins underneath (pictures to follow in yet another update) and anything they didn't replace when they repainted it after "the accident" such as exterior stickers and front reflectors. Ooo how tantalizing huh?

As promised, and without further delay so continues the Second tale of Constance.

After I received the letter from the Original owner (OO), I had a fleeting thought of just forgetting the whole thing (and not telling my wife about the gift card, only fleeting though). After all, how would this “opportunity” actually fit into my life and the gargantuan amount of extra time in my schedule? (implied sarcasm). We had a loooong discussion and decided to sleep on it and figure out if we could “afford” it. Many nights did we “sleep on it”. In the spirit of “one project at a time” I craigslisted the projects I had cluttering the house and each night we had ever better visions of future travels across America filling our heads. We were feeding off each others innate desire to travel and began to combine our “must see’s” into our bucketlist. Ultimately, after a gentleman’s agreement with my father (thank you dad for this and everything you’ve done) the decision was made to call and listen to what the Original owner had to say.

She explained that although her children deeply LOVED the Westfalia and memories therein. They just did not have the expertise, time or means required to bring her beloved Volkswagen back to life. Although she had driven it daily since she bought it, kept up with the maintenance as best as she could and even had the engine replaced a few years ago, there were just too many things still needing to be fixed. It came to the point where she only used it (religiously mind you) once a week to deliver the trash to the local compactor collection center and drive it around to charge the battery. She had appreciated the inconvenience and personal injury sustained while helping out a stranger and felt that I exhibited the qualities she was hoping she would find in her Westfalia’s next owner. Flattered, I listened for a while and ultimately had to ask what it was that I couldn’t refuse. She said she would rather tell me in person, so I scheduled a time to visit and we met, again, for the first time as a new owner.

We spoke at length as the OO slowly showed me all around the bus. She said her goodbyes as she reflected on the fun she had over the years and it was a pleasure to hear the stories. I was ecstatic when it started right up. While I let it warm, the Original Owner (OO) gathered the paperwork and a few things stored in the house like extra parts, the back window screen, etc. and off we went. into the future...(which is presently the past).

After finding and grinding my way home, (the shift linkage is STILL sloppy and yes I have the parts but have yet to drop the engine…will be dropping it soon though (within 90 days)) I began taking photos as I got acquainted with my newest family member (aka rescue).

While the family investigated their newest sleeping area, it wasn’t long before I became acutely aware of the actual condition of my newest endeavor.

Here's the engine bay drivers side, CLEARLY missing foam engine seal (soon rectified).

Here wee see the engine bay passenger side with apparent degeneration of foam engine seal and evidence of previous rodential inhabitaion long since vacated.

And a disconnected deceleration valve. Eh, who needs it? (kidding)

After a quick lube job, copius ductaping of said missing engine seal (i know I know but the replacement was enroute and it was a 40 degree day) we bundled up and took to the open roads headed for the DMV to make it all legal shmegal as youll see when the saga continues.

Thanks again for your continued interest and advice. I look forward to responding to your replies and sharing the next adventure as time allows.

d

Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Tales of Constance Chapter 3 Reply with quote

Thank you for your continued interest and advice. What follows is my first drive at speed, DMV, First inspection, engine seal and white paint tire bumper refresh.

The trip to the DMV was magical and shall we say the proverbial hook was set, bug (bus) was caught, et. Cetera. Since this was our maiden voyage (and the first real time on the road above 25mph), we found it at first intimidating which changed to intoxicating to experience the faces of recognition, waves, honks and long gazes from ANY person paying attention to their surroundings and the entrance of this jewel of history therein. Even in her original owners untouched condition this bus turned heads everywhere it went. It was a hoot to “smile and wave” and we practiced using different styles depending on who instigated the exchange. I’m sure many of you know what I am talking about. (Note to self…do not drive this vehicle if you want to go unnoticed.) At 55Mph The bus handled like a cinderblock sailboat. The steering wheel felt like a captains wheel of a said boat that rolled and crab walked everytime the wind blustered or a vehicle passed. Road wake is "REAL" try driving a motorcyle on I95.
I digress, I had spent WAY too much time on theSAMBA and DMV websites researching plates and left the house with three in mind, just in case my number one somehow became unavailable before we got there. I had agonized over what was to be my new Bus’s first legal title as the OO never named it nor desired vanity plates. During the trip we reconsidered what we had chosen and ultimately decided we weren’t ready to go with anything “fancy”…yet. I was leaning towards going “literal” as others have done and ultimately decided to go with that, to maybe help ward off any confusion. Nope didn’t work…first question is mostly “what year is that?”. (which is one reason we changed it)

We received prestigious parking when we arrived at the DMV so I captured some pictures while I waited for my number to be called. After we tried to figure out how to title it, station wagon, van, bus motorhome (no toilet), etc. I was reviewing the paperwork and found a typographical error. (Long story short. Since it was a vanity plate It was verrrry difficult to correct but ultimately accomplished.)

Whodah known these tags were available...just how many are left on the road these days? no worries, I no longer have these tags. I liked the colors of the tag and literal statement vanity plate, however we gave these plates back to the community in part for what they look like from a distance. (please use responsibly Smile

Now that the bus was legally ours we began the never ending process of evaluating its present condition and planning the next project. To quote another member, rust never sleeps) First order of business was things that could be done without driving it until the engine seal arrived and I learned what I was supposed to be focusing on as important. (In that regard I want to thank again all those who made this process possible, e.g. ratwell, samba members and plethora parts suppliers "who know who they are".

It all started with two cans of Rustoleum White spray paint, a bag of all too wet play sand and an old suction hose fed sand blaster.

Then employ dual nephew powered hammers and metal molding implements to straighten things up. (thanks guys!)

Here we see the freshly coated wheels, bumpers and hardware installed to “cure”.

After the paint cured I installed freshly washed and waxed hubcaps.

Finally ready for state inspection, I unknowingly schedule it to be performed at the same place that has been doing it for years. I’m outside taking pictures of some historic vehicles in the lot when the inspection bay door noisily opens and the mechanic drives out the preceeding customer. I see a glint in his eye and a smile on his face when he sees the bus (again, but for the first time). After retrieving the key from inside and coming back outside, he asks if it is mine and says he knows a sweet lady who has one “just like it” but not in as good a shape. Not giving me a chance to tell him it “IS” that bus, he instinctively hops inside and starts it. He begins the inspection paperwork while letting it warm up and testing things like the headlights, horns, wipers, etc. as he pulls it into the inspection bay. Involved in the process he shares many stories of that nice lady’s bus and autopilots through the inspection. After scraping off the old and brandishing the windshield with a new inspection sticker he returns the bus to where it was and hops out. Although the vehicle passed the inspection he wanted to discuss a few points of contentions. It is not until he starts rattling off the list of concerns that he makes the connection. Realizing he never asked nor gave me time to comment we both have a good laugh when I assure him it is the SAME bus AND the previous owner was the nicest lady. (I also relayed the story of how I became to own it.) He looks it all over, all over again while discussing the plethora items observed and commending me on those already rectified. All to soon it was over and we exchanged well wishery. Another “successful mission accomplished” I ensured him the bus would “constantly” get better and drove away a “happy camper” Smile

See what I mean? from a distance the plates are perceived as "9 west" which just didn't sit right.

We warped a waterski (long story short) and I wanted to see what it would look like as a running board side skirt…why? Whynot. After lining up the jack tube placement with where I wanted the skis to ride, I screwed and glued aluminum tubes to the ski’s and then slid those into the jack tubes. To keep the skis from sliding out and falling off I used heavy duty zip ties. I did NOT put any appreciable mileage on the bus with these installed and maybe went 55mph down to the gas station. Ultimately the ski’s were donated to the local waterski club to be made into part of their Float for a 4th of July parade.

CURRENT STATUS: Topless and Snuggled in a heated garage awaiting poptop refresh. You can see the related thread here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620475

I am uploaded the next 10 pics and will look forward to visiting with you again in the next chapter of constance. Thanks for your time, your comments and continued advice.

Last edited by Our79Westy on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:51 am; edited 4 times in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! I'm enjoying this thread and look forward to more updates/posts!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Pictoral preview of Tales of Constance Chapter 4 Reply with quote

Hello again and thank you all for your advice and continued interest in my refresh of this beautiful 1979 VW Westfalia campmobile.

Tcash, eche, westnut, vw69, you are a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate your efforts, advice, concerns and willingness to provide “options” via links in my (and others) thread(s). Special thanks to you (and those I suredly missed) as well as everyone else helping us keep our busses on the road…SAFELY!!!

In that regard, I agree, my original propane tank is a turd (totally undeniably really dead) and you know what they say “even when you shine a turd”. So I shined it, but will not use it. For at least all the reasons advised herein as well as those found in thesamba searches. Cost of testing, age, degeneration, not to mention the reasonable price of a new one. No Brainer. Not sure what I will do with the original propane tank when I finally upgrade, however I will be sure to either save it (for shows?) or make it available on the samba. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get there…hopefully within 2 years from now.
Thanks again and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Chapter Summary: Getting to know you, refreshing the propane tank and new tires.

After receiving my engine seal and “first” manual in Chapter 3 above, I poured over it. I cross referenced between ratwells and this website to figure out what to do next and what I could afford to do next. First thing first was to get to know my bus more intimately to ensure I order the right parts and stuff.

Found the location of the M-plate (thanks T-cash for the birth certificate…mmm that’s a fun thread)

Obviously found the Serial numbers both before and after foam engine seal refresh:

I have yet to search for a fix for that broken plug…I’m thinking of replacing it/both with a combination running/brake light…but again another bridge to cross later.

While I was still researching what needed to be done and ordering parts, my father offered his valuable services to refresh the propane tank. To make the process easier and to get pictures of the underside, I drove the bus up on two car ramps. The stance taken by the bus struck me funny, as these vehicles often do. So I captured the bus peeking over an artificial pine tree waiting to be stored.

Constance has always been a family affair and I appreciate all the help I can get. It didn’t seem to take long enough for the paint to dry before dad returned with another successful mission accomplished. Here we see the rusty crusty original Propane tank assembly before and after refresh. Dad hand wire brushed, taped off, rustoleum silver hand painted and brass polished it.

I wasted no time reinstalling the propane tank and admiring the refresh. (Especially after all the efforts I had put into it to get it to look that good…thanks again dad). Doing my research, I learned enough to know I would probably not even find someone to fill it for obvious reasons like no cert stickers, wrong threads, stuck regulator, to ugly (pronounced pitted), etc. Further, the stove burners inside look like they have NEVER been used (no picture uploaded yet)…and I’m not keen on cooking where I sleep. I prefer to cook using a campfire or a dedicated coleman fuel or propane stove safely AWAY from my no food stained (flammable) interior.

Tires. From the OO records it appears the bus came with 4 Tires, 6ply BST 603V BW size: 185R-14 installed 11/11/1992 at Merchant Tires. It took me a while to choose tires. After reading through threads and shopping online, I finally had the local FLAPS order me 5 tires that fulfilled the requirements. Upon notice of their arrival we eagerly swam (pronounced “sailed” or “drove”) our way down the road to try on the new shoes. I walk in and there they are greeting me like a tire golem. Shown here are 5 (five) Nexen SV820 185R14 Load range D, awaiting their new life aboard Constance. I can almost still smell them.

After satisfying the particulars I went outside to observe the process. A crowd had already gathered in the parking lot, oogling and as I approached the inquisition began, what year? How long you had it? “Lemme tell you about the one we had” and time flew. The tire technician was on the younger side. When he came to ply his trade he commented that the bus was older than he was and that he had never worked on or seen an air cooled vehicle before. Assuring me he would take good care of it he gingerly drove in into the bay and the rest is history. One thing I will do in the future is take off my hubcaps before doing this again.

Couple lessons I learned when I did my wheel refresh.
1. I forgot to take of the weights I just painted over them. Hence when I installed new tires the old weights came off and exposed unpainted rimrust (to be rectified this summer).
2. I forgot ALL about the spare tire tucked into the cabinet under the sink. Here it is in its original glory (before new tire) and I wondered how long that thing had been in there untouched.

Thanks for reading through this chapter of the sundry tales of constance. Again I appreciate your comments and advice.

I uploaded some pictures for the bays in snow thread and will place them below for your enjoyment and until their chapter evolves.

peace Smile

Last edited by Our79Westy on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful.

Applause
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: 1979 Westfalia Deluxe decoded M-Plate Reply with quote

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Propane tank explosion Reply with quote

(Safety concerned)

You have good reason to be concerned. The outside of the tank appears to be severely pitted. With no idea of what the inside of the tank looks like.

A little extreme, but you will get the idea.

Link

Never wanting to pose a problem without a solution.
LPG Tank with Regulator [Bus/Vanagon]
Adding a Vanagon propane tank to a Bus (with pics).

Good Luck
Tcash
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tcash on that propane tank. It looks past it's service life with that deep corrison and pitting. I'd doubt that tank would be certified by a propane house.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Tales of Constance Chapter 5 Reply with quote

Please see the updated chapter 4 above that addresses the subsequently received appropriate concerns from my fellow sambanistas. An unintended AND WELCOME consequence of posting pictures before I write the next chapter. Glad to see we are on the same page.

I uploaded some pictures of Constance in the snow in my photo gallery aspiring to post them in the appropriate chapter (herein elsewhere) and the thread “bays in snow” when the time comes.

Hello again and welcome to the Sundry tales of Constance Chapter 5.

Having new tires installed was the first time I was able to see Constance in such an awkward position. Here's a picture of her underside on a lift with no wheels.

After the new tires were mounted, I stopped to grab some grindage before heading home and pulling out the chipotleaway...(lol, thanks matt and trey!)

Here's a picture of the dash and unwrapped original steering wheel.

My multimedia entertainment system fits great on the dash and is usually plugged into a tape converter in the original dealer installed Blaupunkt radio.

The ride home with the new tires was TOTALLY different than the ride to get the new tires.
Sure, driving a bus is akin to sailing a cinderblock, but at least the “rudders” were cutting deeper now. No longer did the bus “drift” when the road angle steepened or crabwalk when a large vehicle passed. The tire wall roll was gone and Constance felt good in her new shoes.

I snapped a few shots all around to show off said new tires and current condition of the progress.

I hope to get with the original owner to discuss how some of these bumps and bruises were obtained.

After one month had passed I had done what I could afford both time and money wise and focused on the things that required elbow grease and household cleaning supplies.

Here you can see the driver’s side jalousy window with a first application of said grease.

I didn’t get far before my elbows were all greased out and I had to figure out another method. Eh, good enough for now.

We were treated to Red Lobster so we treated by driving Constance. Thought I'd take a few pictures from inside. These could almost go in the working bus thread since she hauled us all and waited patiently outside till we were finished.

Well when I say patiently, there were many gawkers who gave her plenty of attention.

I think these photos would be fund to flip on themselves so that the words read correctly.

But these "bend" the mind and make them more visually appealing...to me Smile

Maintenance is always ongoing and here is a "before" picture of the underside. You can see the heater dump boxes are missing and a lot of work needs to be done to stop from stewing in her own juices.

I've adopted a lot of vehicles over the years. Some wanted to hang with the new one for a little while...

With the new tires installed and many of the safety items taken care of, I somehow got the bug to take Constance to her first Show. I will save that for the next chapter because it was a totally cool experience and deserves its own chapter.

As a teaser, Constance won her first trophy.

Thank you for reading through another sundry tale and I look forward to your continued advice, concerns and capitulations.

keep on keeping on.

Last edited by Our79Westy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Earl 78 westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really enjoying this thread!!

check out my stuff on ebay....
http://www.ebay.com/sch/simplefundesigns/m.html?_n...ksid=p3686

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: