Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Syncro with new LED headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas73 wrote:
This would be an awesome add on to the vans.

http://www.gizmag.com/protean-electric-unveils-in-...evs/27110/

That is really cool technology, however the main problem would be the unsprung mass of such a system.
Wheels also take a lot of abuse, I foresee much maintenance with all that tech.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
thomas73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be an awesome add on to the vans.

http://www.gizmag.com/protean-electric-unveils-in-...evs/27110/
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
WLD*WSTY wrote:
westyventures wrote:
H4 130w (high beam) = 3400 lumens. H3 100W (inner, driving) = 1750 lumens. 2-each in my van. I think for now I'll stick with these. Wink

Me too. Plus they fit the LOOK of a 25+ year old vehicle, rather than something built in the last 5 years.

Well, I did not do this for the look, I installed LED because of the very low AMP draw.
My LED draws 2.5AMP X 12volt = 30Watt compared to 130Watt/12Volt = 10.83 AMP.

My alternator puts out 130 amps...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Sorry, should have specified. HIR bulbs are only available in a few bulb sizes. Fifteen years ago, John Deere started making them for their big farming equipment for night farming. It stands for Halogen InfraRed. They have a coating on the bulb that causes a portion of the light to bounce back once into the filament or similar. On the next bounce they have a different frequency and pass through the coating and the filament is made more efficient output wise. From the front of the vehicle, they look the same frequency - no odd blue - in fact they are identical looking to an ordinary halogen.

After a few years JD contracted with Hitachi to make them and then they moved up a whole new level in precise filament control and the life almost doubled. Somebody on the LandCruiser list discovered they'd fit our vehicles if you simply snapped off a fin that prevented use in an automobile and we started group buy after group buy. They were frightfully expensive at $29, but now we all laugh at that in a day of $45 bulbs!

Anyhow, I've been using them for a couple hundred thousand miles and they're like nothing I've ever had. They fit 9011, 9012, 9005 an 9006 I believe. Because the filament is in the correct place for these bulbs, they don't blow light all over the place - just the same pattern in a nice warm color. On high beam though, you will get flashed from a mile out. They're crazy bright. Normal wattage - no mods to the stock wiring. I've always wondered why someone didn't start offering these as a full line. The thinking probably is that they would not overcome the newness of those cool looking blueish bulbs, the impending arrival of quality LED, etc and not worth tooling up for.

pics?
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:
Nicely done! LED technology is making great progress. That giant red electric motor is pure xxx. Very Happy

The electric motor was only for reference. The new ones are much smaller. My vision would be replacing the trans axle with an long thin electric motor. The clutch will disconnect the engine and you going to have a 4x4 EV Syncro vanagon with maybe 30 miles range or you could use the decoupler and got a 2 wheel front drive EV. This will take some time but it will be done one day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! LED technology is making great progress. That giant red electric motor is pure xxx. Very Happy

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLD*WSTY wrote:
westyventures wrote:
H4 130w (high beam) = 3400 lumens. H3 100W (inner, driving) = 1750 lumens. 2-each in my van. I think for now I'll stick with these. Wink

Me too. Plus they fit the LOOK of a 25+ year old vehicle, rather than something built in the last 5 years.

Well, I did not do this for the look, I installed LED because of the very low AMP draw.
My LED draws 2.5AMP X 12volt = 30Watt compared to 130Watt/12Volt = 10.83 AMP.

One day it is going to be an EV or at least an hybrid like my 2 other cars. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, should have specified. HIR bulbs are only available in a few bulb sizes. Fifteen years ago, John Deere started making them for their big farming equipment for night farming. It stands for Halogen InfraRed. They have a coating on the bulb that causes a portion of the light to bounce back once into the filament or similar. On the next bounce they have a different frequency and pass through the coating and the filament is made more efficient output wise. From the front of the vehicle, they look the same frequency - no odd blue - in fact they are identical looking to an ordinary halogen.

After a few years JD contracted with Hitachi to make them and then they moved up a whole new level in precise filament control and the life almost doubled. Somebody on the LandCruiser list discovered they'd fit our vehicles if you simply snapped off a fin that prevented use in an automobile and we started group buy after group buy. They were frightfully expensive at $29, but now we all laugh at that in a day of $45 bulbs!

Anyhow, I've been using them for a couple hundred thousand miles and they're like nothing I've ever had. They fit 9011, 9012, 9005 an 9006 I believe. Because the filament is in the correct place for these bulbs, they don't blow light all over the place - just the same pattern in a nice warm color. On high beam though, you will get flashed from a mile out. They're crazy bright. Normal wattage - no mods to the stock wiring. I've always wondered why someone didn't start offering these as a full line. The thinking probably is that they would not overcome the newness of those cool looking blueish bulbs, the impending arrival of quality LED, etc and not worth tooling up for.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Karl,

I think you and your fancy schmancy incandescent light output levels are being ignored! Heh.

It's only a matter of time with LEDs, but I'll take my incandescents as well. They are taking leaps and bounds with LEDs and it will be fascinating to see where they end up.

DougM

Edit: I think the high beams on my LandCruisers (direct fit HIR bulbs) put out 2300 lumens, the low beams 1700. On high beams that's 8000 lumens from four separate lamps. On high beam they are the best factory headlamps I have ever driven behind. Nice even pattern - no hot spots. I'd enjoy seeing these next to my Cruisers for comparison.

"HIR bulbs"?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
lloydy wrote:
Wow, they seriously fit in the vanagon outer bracket with no mods whatsoever? That's great! With the jw bracket for the inners, does it mount on to the SA bracket or did you have to make something up?

It mounts on the SA bracket but you have to increase the inner hole. I check if I have pictures...

sounds really good! i may be doing this..
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

I think you and your fancy schmancy incandescent light output levels are being ignored! Heh.

It's only a matter of time with LEDs, but I'll take my incandescents as well. They are taking leaps and bounds with LEDs and it will be fascinating to see where they end up.

DougM

Edit: I think the high beams on my LandCruisers (direct fit HIR bulbs) put out 2300 lumens, the low beams 1700. On high beams that's 8000 lumens from four separate lamps. On high beam they are the best factory headlamps I have ever driven behind. Nice even pattern - no hot spots. I'd enjoy seeing these next to my Cruisers for comparison.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mreuter - If you have the time to shoot some pix from behind the wheel at night (parked Wink ) that would be great. Thx!
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Some images with a vanagon with H4 headlights(round or square) to directly compare them to would be great.
I saw these lights at the 4wheel parts wholesalers truckfest recently and there was some buzz about them but I would like to know how they compare to the H4s that I already have.
The light pattern would take some getting used to for me. http://www.jwspeaker.com/reference/why-upgrade-to-led

I have seen several versions of LED headlights in the past just wondering if they are ready for prime time now.

That's the reason I use 2 sets. I can adjust the pattern the way I like it. The version 2 of the 8700 LED lights have much better pattern because they use 4 diffuser per lamp compared to the V1 2 only diffuser like the 8630
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images with a vanagon with H4 headlights(round or square) to directly compare them to would be great.
I saw these lights at the 4wheel parts wholesalers truckfest recently and there was some buzz about them but I would like to know how they compare to the H4s that I already have.
The light pattern would take some getting used to for me. http://www.jwspeaker.com/reference/why-upgrade-to-led

I have seen several versions of LED headlights in the past just wondering if they are ready for prime time now.
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some pictures at sunset at 6PM but they are very bright so I have to change the aperture to show how it really looks:

Very low aperture:

Standard picture setting (iphone)

The lights look more like this ar daylight but I can not capture it with my iphone:

Low beam at 6PM still daylight: (imagine how bright it is at night Shocked )

High Beam (check the green plants on top)

Lights off:

svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit!!! EU requires all halogen or LED lights to be CE-signed and auto adjustable. This is one of the best updates I've seen - and I can't do it... Sad
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydy wrote:
Wow, they seriously fit in the vanagon outer bracket with no mods whatsoever? That's great! With the jw bracket for the inners, does it mount on to the SA bracket or did you have to make something up?

It mounts on the SA bracket but you have to increase the inner hole. I check if I have pictures...
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REal nice looking setup.

Lets see a night pic with just running lights and headlights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: