Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Portable garages - any good
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm looking how to store my vanagon for the winter as there are many things to be fixed up.
I was not been able to find a garage spot to rent in a reasonable distance. Today I came upon portable garage from Shelterlogic. They claim to be snow rated.
This will help with the rain/snow from outside. But I do have only dirt/grass place to put it on. How much moisture I can pick up from the ground?

I'm sure it is much better than to keep it outside. But it is actually worth the price?

Thank you
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

they are 'snow rated' to only some snow.. but man an ice storm or freeze/thaw/freeze can build up accumulation on that.. add in say a rain and it'll easly over weight the roof..
will you be there to take the snow off from time to time? or is this unattended?

for ground cover I use a layer of 6mil plastic. and then top that with cheap OSB plywood.. not that that is cheap anymore..

you WILL ABSOLUTELY need to anchor it down for wind.. else much chaos and damage will ensue

I prefer the arched dome top units than the gable/peaked top units.. for shedding snow best.. you may have to stand it up a few feet though if you buy a 'standard' sized unit..

I've used them for year, and they are not the favorite thing in my yard..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

Make sure you spend more than $120...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

I had a friend up here in tahoe recommend getting rope and crosshatching the top from the underside every 4" to not let the top sag... itll be my first winter with parts inside, so well see how it goes. We get some heavy accumulation up here..
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

i was thinking about getting this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Carport-Canopy-Garage-Shelt...d_wg=1e1nc

it has adjustable legs and is the tallest one I have found to fit the Westy.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
i was thinking about getting this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Carport-Canopy-Garage-Shelt...d_wg=1e1nc

it has adjustable legs and is the tallest one I have found to fit the Westy.

I'd want to find a way to add extra legs and top cross members to that if I lived in snow country. And the rope weave idea is a good one.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

I bought the harbor freight 10x17 garage before I built an actual garage. It was quite an upgrade over nothing. With a forced air propane heater and a second inside skirt made of harbor freight canvas drop cloths it stayed warm enough to work. When it snowed, the heat melted the surrounding snow and that made it fairly wet. So I would definitely put down 12x12x2 concrete pavers so you are off the wet ground. Even when I was on my back under the car, I was off the wet. Humidity will be an issue if it is enclosed. They come with hurricane stakes that really aren't going anywhere. When I was ready to build my garage I took it down and gave it to a fellow rallycross racer that needed a garage. I had it for a few years and it was still in good shape.

For $200 or whatever it is, they are a very useful.

Last edited by 4Gears4Tires on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

Why not just some carpet underlay and a tarp
?

Shovel snow fall off or just let it melt in Spring ?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Portable garages - any good Reply with quote

I have been planning to build a small structure with 2x3s, with a tarp thrown over the top and fastened to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: