Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

Here we go again.

I've got a kinda weird setup but I'm just looking to get one smog test out of the way before I swap engines next year.

I've got a '91 Vanagon with a 2.0 Tiico engine in it. So far i've been to 2 smog test shops and the inline 4 vs flat 4 hasn't been an issue (the second guy hadn't seen under the "hood" of a Vanagon before). The issue I'm running into is that the previous owner that did the swap put on a cat that doesn't match the van so I'm getting flagged as having a modified cat, not to mention I was running 6x the NO on the sniffer when I did get a test.

The cat I have now is D-193-112 which is a universal OBD-II but I've got no clue how old or worn out it is. I think replacing it will fix my NO issue but I'm trying to save some cash since this engine just needs to get me another couple years. I've been looking at this one from the BusDepot https://www.busdepot.com/025131701 but I'm not sure how a cat designed for the stock engine will work on my Tiico.

I'll post the test results this evening.

Any insight or info is appreciated as always. Thanks!
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

If you're in Richmond, go see Felipe at 523 Rods. There are smog places around there as well that will take care of you.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

Several years ago I bought a Magnaflow cat. with flanges.

YIKES!!! now the price is $800+ and 'unavailable'.

I don't have the part number.

Passed CA smog no problem.

A cheap weld on is probably your best bet here.
Reduce the NOx - Retard timing, run high percentage ethanol gas = pass
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

The Tiico Executive Order D-573 says the original Vanagon catalytic converter is retained. So a CA compliant cat for your model year Vanagon should be acceptable.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

Here is the link to the executive order:

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-573-1.pdf

Does your engine, intake manifold and ecu match the ones described in this order?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

who has the EO, i didn't know there was one, I'd be interested reading more.

termuehlen wrote:
The Tiico Executive Order D-573 says the original Vanagon catalytic converter is retained. So a CA compliant cat for your model year Vanagon should be acceptable.

619 201 0310
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

Post a picture of what your Cat looks like and how it's mounted. Is it welded or bolted in?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

Californio: Good advice on Felipe at 523 Rods if I can't figure this out on my own that will be my next stop.

pdm777: This is what I'm leaning toward:
A cheap weld on is probably your best bet here.
Reduce the NOx - Retard timing, run high percentage ethanol gas = pass

termuehlen: Thanks for the EO that was very informative, I didn't realize the Tiico swap was ever officially recognized. Unfortunately none of my numbers match Crying or Very sad go figure.

16CVs: here's a pic of what I have now. I've got access to a welder and have some experience so I'm not afraid of cutting the old cat out and getting a stock van replacement welded in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

That is one fugly set up. I would would proper flanges on it so that you can install a Factory style cat right off the shelf.
These vans are expensive toys, If you had flanges on it you could round up a Legal cat and just slip it in and out.
People that do work like that need to find a new profession.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CA legal catalytic converter for a Tiico? Reply with quote

Agreed, the entire swap has had a few issues where some things were botched (timing belt idler was installed backwards) but I'm doing my best to bring it back to life.

I've already got my hands on a good running 1.8T that I'm going to swap in with Stephens Kit so I'm not too worried on making it nice I just want to get it to pass this time and next time she'll have a new heart.

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: