Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive shaft orientation
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Distributor drive shaft orientation Reply with quote

I was taking out my old 009 distributor and replaced it with an SVDA. I made sure I had the engine on TDC (per pulley mark and with rotor pointing to #1 wire). Once I had the 009 out I looked into the hole and saw that the drive gear was not parallel with the pulley. I believe that's how it is supposed to be oriented at TDC? Does this mean my timing has been off all this time?

Also, when I installed the SVDA I noticed that the rotor was not pointing to #1 - it was pointing somewhere between #1 and #2. There is no mark on the edge of the distributor. What's going on here?

Appreciate your insights.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(never mind the wasp!)
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not incorrectly.

No, your timing is not off, you just have to rotate the body to compensate for the drive being off.

When you have the engine on TDC on #1 you rotate the body of the distributor until #1 mark on the body is pointed to by the rotor. It doesn't matter of the rotor is points to 1:00, 5:00 or any o'clock. Just as long as the engine is on TDC #1 and the #1 mark on the body is inline with the rotor.

The only time it becomes a problem is if the condenser or vacuum canister hit the fuel pump and prevents you from turning the body to set the ignition timing correctly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would align it according to the book while you are at it. You just don't want to raise the drive any higher than needed for it to turn.

If you don't feel comfortable realigning the drive then just follow Glenn's instructions.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - thanks everyone for your input. I haven't done an alignment of this sort before and will save that challenge for another day. I installed the new Mexican made Bosch SVDA, made sure the rotor pointed to the mark on distributor body, timed it at 30 degrees BTDC @3,500 rpm with vacuum line off the distributor and plugged. When I reattached the vacuum line it advanced to 41 degrees @3,500 rpm. Motor is running well - at least standing in my driveway. I'm about to go on a test drive...
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

Arkansauced
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good looking wasp there next to your fuel pump...
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkansauced wrote:
That's a good looking wasp there next to your fuel pump...

yes, that's my pet wasp. It was helping me loosen the hold down clamp for the distributor.

By the way, my test drive went very well. I always heard about the flat spot - now I can relate to it, having gone from a 009 to an SVDA - the difference is really quite incredible! I first installed a Chinese SVDA that I had bought on a business trip in Brazil last week for $39. It ran, but not well at all. I think the plate wasn't advancing properly (vacuum can diaphram too stiff maybe?). Then I decided to take it out and install the Mexican Bosch SVDA and the quality is noticably better. I am keeping the Chinese one as a spare.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: