Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TSB on 2.1L Rod Bolts??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: TSB on 2.1L Rod Bolts?? Reply with quote

The rod bolts are a known weakness of the 2.1L motor - did VWAG ever change the design on these, or issue a Technical Service bulletin ot Dealers?

This is more than idle curiosity for me as my service record history shows that a rebuilt engine was installed in my Van some years ago.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory 2.1 rod bolts were torque-to-yield fasteners which, sadly in my view, have become all the rage for the OEMs.

Any time a TTY fastener, especially a 2.1 rod bolt, is unfastened, it must be disposed of and not re-used.

ARP makes all kinds of con rod bolts and anyone rebuilding a 2.1 should consider using them. The ARP SPS (special purpose steel) bolts are excellent quality and are re-usable. I believe, but do not know for sure, that they are cheaper than the factory TTY bolts.

Bear in mind that using the ARP fasteners is not just plug and play. The bolt holes need to be properly reamed to fit and the rod may require some spot-facing at the bolt head. Then, you still need to rebuild the big end of the rod by skimming off material at the mating surface and precision honing to size. The bushing at the small end is usually replaced and honed to size.

A few vendors do all this for you at a fair price with exchange of your connecting rod cores:

Rocky Jennings:

Van Café:

These vendors DO NOT re-use the old TTY fasteners.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that with what? A 24,000 mile warranty? That rod bolts failing at 150,000 miles had little impact upon the Dealership and VW's design considerations..... Especially for a model they were phasing out for a modern FWD unit.

"Oops, it looks like you threw a rod Mr Smith, that repair will be $5000. "

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: