Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glass Media in front beam
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Glass Media in front beam Reply with quote

Recently had my 58 front beam media blasted. I duct taped the ends shut but the shop managed to blow through the tape and now I have glass beads inside the beam. I POR'd the beam before I caught this. Is there a way I can clean the beam without ruining the paint? If so, great, but if not what would be the best way to clean the insides of the beam?
Thanks
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure washer should take care of it.
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too late for you at this point, but maybe someone else reading along on this subject will benefit.

It seems that a lot of people who send stuff out to be media blasted forget one very important part. It gets BLASTED!

They don't lightly drop or rub abrasives on your part, they throw abrasives at your part with very high pressure.

Tape isn't enough to keep it out. And even if they didn't blast through the tape, you will often still find blast media that got past it.

If the bearings have been removed from the beam, one of the best ways I have seen to keep blast media out is to use expandable rubber freeze plugs and tighten those suckers up as tight as you can possibly get them.

Also take the Zerk grease fittings out and replace them with bolts.

And even after all that you may still end up with abrasives inside the beam.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be as bad as all that. He PORed the thing after the bead blasting. So most of the evil stuff is forever entrapped in the rustproofing. So he only need to worry about the 8 inches of so where the torsion arms might rub. By the way, have you tried putting the needle bearings in and they totally don't fit. So what he needs to do is clean out that 8 inches, the rest should coat the inside of the beam and stay put never to bother anyone again. Of course after you have made the tool to ream the first 8 inches you might as well make the tool long enough to ream the whole insides.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
It may not be as bad as all that. He PORed the thing after the bead blasting. So most of the evil stuff is forever entrapped in the rustproofing. So he only need to worry about the 8 inches of so where the torsion arms might rub. By the way, have you tried putting the needle bearings in and they totally don't fit. So what he needs to do is clean out that 8 inches, the rest should coat the inside of the beam and stay put never to bother anyone again. Of course after you have made the tool to ream the first 8 inches you might as well make the tool long enough to ream the whole insides.

Abrasive blast media in the grease that lubes your beam....What could possible be wrong with that?
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of rags, a bucket of varsol and elbow grease will clean it up... May take a while. Spring is coming. Better get at it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: