Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar wiring diagram
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Solar wiring diagram Reply with quote

This is the wiring plan I have come up with for my solar charging system. I would really appreciate a review or comments. The batteries are AGM 104 and 108 amp hours. I decided on the final location for the charge controller to minimize the length of wire needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime spot to get kicked by shoes or knocked by cargo. I'd rethink that location.

spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, thanks! Now I'm wondering if the charge controller could be attached on the back side of the removable kick panel. That would keep it safe and dry. Might help if I mention that the wires from the solar panel will enter through the hole in the floor between the batteries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an option, provided it doesn't get too hot.

spiritid wrote:
Good point, thanks! Now I'm wondering if the charge controller could be attached on the back side of the removable kick panel. That would keep it safe and dry. Might help if I mention that the wires from the solar panel will enter through the hole in the floor between the batteries.

spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think it may stay cooler there since it will be separated from the heat that builds up inside the vehicle when parked.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are batteries 1 & 2 both house batteries? Do you still have a starter battery?

In my set up, I installed selector switches so I could charge one battery or the other or both from the solar panel. It looks like your charge controller may be able to perform that function?

Also, Your fuses should be sized appropriately for the wire size. Fuses are to protect the wire from overloading so they shouldn't be larger than the capacity of the wire.

spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the controller charges two batteries but they should be the same type, size, date. My starter battery will not match.

I don't understand fuses yet. The 30 amp fuses were specified by the controller manufacturer. The 15 amp was specified by the frig manuel. An electrician recommended the 20 amp fuse. I could use some help.

Last edited by spiritid on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be the perfect spot for the controller!

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple issues with your proposed wiring diagram. Also, are you going to connect the alternator to the batteries?

Mark
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritid wrote:

I don't understand fuses yet. The 30 amp fuses were specified by the controller manufacturer. The 15 amp was specified by the frig manuel. An electrician recommended the 20 amp fuse. I could use some help.

Fuses can vary in size for the same wire, but not be over the rating of the wire. In the chart above, the second to last column (Ampacity) should be your maximum fuse size for the wire. For example, the largest fuse size you should put on a 12 ga wire would be 45 amps. 30 amp fuse would be fine too since it is smaller than 45. You want the fuse to blow before the wire melts if you have an over amperage situation. The fuse should be sized larger than your load but smaller than the wire capacity.
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boat my summers away , get enough of the car thing m-f, I run a 85w solar panel and 2 6v golf cart batts love it love it , for the " house side" and a reg big batt for the run/start, however I've done 2 things I added a ACR ( automatic charge relay) when the run start is full it wil flip to the house and charge them when the motor is running, however it works both ways when the solar has filled the house batts it will kick and charge the run/start . All the batts are at 13v every time I get on the boat , the other was I have a typical marine selector switch but I mounted a ford type relay with 2 very short leads hooking the 2 sides together so I can jump start myself from the dash with the push of a button !!! Wich I have done from runnin radio bsubs and tv all night ,, Fabricator john
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
There are a couple issues with your proposed wiring diagram. Also, are you going to connect the alternator to the batteries?

Mark

This solar charging system is designed to be completely separate from the starting system so it will not be connected to the alternator.

Susan
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then that only leaves a few wiring issues to resolve with your diagram.

By the way, the alternator isn't for starting, it is for creating electricity while the engine is running. The alternator is capable of over 1000 watts.

Mark

spiritid wrote:

This solar charging system is designed to be completely separate from the starting system so it will not be connected to the alternator.

Susan
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
spiritid wrote:

Fuses can vary in size for the same wire, but not be over the rating of the wire. In the chart above, the second to last column (Ampacity) should be your maximum fuse size for the wire. For example, the largest fuse size you should put on a 12 ga wire would be 45 amps. 30 amp fuse would be fine too since it is smaller than 45. You want the fuse to blow before the wire melts if you have an over amperage situation. The fuse should be sized larger than your load but smaller than the wire capacity.

I really appreciate this info though I still need to digest it some more. This is my first electrical project so I am slow. Think I may have more questions on this later. Smile
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that connecting to the alternator would be very beneficial. I think I just wanted to keep the project simple to start with. The house system originally was powered by the alternator and the previous owner removed it in trying to narrow down some electrical issues.

I would really appreciate knowing the issues with my diagram, was hoping for that. Smile

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Then that only leaves a few wiring issues to resolve with your diagram.

By the way, the alternator isn't for starting, it is for creating electricity while the engine is running. The alternator is capable of over 1000 watts.

Mark

spiritid wrote:

Susan

spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabricator john wrote:
I run a 85w solar panel and 2 6v golf cart batts love it love it , for the " house side" ... Fabricator john

Two 6 volt golf cart batteries were my first choice but new ones will not fit under the seat. I will probably be making changes as time goes on. Right now, I just want that frig to work. Smile

Susan
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

What you wrote finally sank in, I kept getting stuck on determining the load to make the fuse bigger (though I still get stuck on that!) So the fuse on the #12 wire should be bigger (and closer to the panels?) It would follow that the fuse size on the other wires should be bigger because the wires are bigger. That's why I need to be able to calculate the loads, to make sure the fuse is large enough. I saw that formula someplace in my research, don't remember where. I'm also wondering if I should use the inline fuse holders (with glass fuses) or should I consider a fuse box? Any recommendations there?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, your fuses could be smaller. Your 120 watt solar combines to about 7 amps. That is all that will be flowing from the panels to the controller. Then the controller splits that up between the 2 charging wire sets to the 2 batteries. So the most that will ever flow through those two 30 amp fuses is also 7 amps.

You have chosen a 2 bank charger but have hard wired the batteries together. There is no need or advantage to a 2 bank charger hooked up that way. If you provided a way to separate the batteries if needed then you could in theory let the dual charger charge each to its own needs. But the capacity of the batteries dwarfs the ability of those panels to charge them so you are likely headed for chronic undercharging anyway.

Mark
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, Mark. The charge controller diagram has the batteries wired separately. Helpful people told me the batteries should be wired together. So it sounds like I really do need a connection to the alternator to charge my batteries. That is going to mean a lot more research. Can you direct me to a good site or discussion for diagrams and information?

Susan
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,

Do a search on 'solar' choosing title only and a lot of folks systems including wiring diagrams will pop up. Lots of info on here. Try the FAQ's too. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: