Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar wiring diagram
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is going to depend on your individual circumstances. How often will you be driving the van and how far each time, how often will you stay put for days without driving anywhere, how certain will your sun angles be, etc. And of course how much electricity will your fridge draw?

It is pretty simple to connect the alternator to automatically charge the aux batteries when the engine is running. Especially with your batteries under the back seat, closer to the engine and alternator. You only need 1 new wire from the alternator to the batteries, with a separator device in the wire between the alt and bats. You would be best with a unidirectional separator setup. This is simple stuff.

Mark

spiritid wrote:
Thanks for your response, Mark. The charge controller diagram has the batteries wired separately. Helpful people told me the batteries should be wired together. So it sounds like I really do need a connection to the alternator to charge my batteries. That is going to mean a lot more research. Can you direct me to a good site or discussion for diagrams and information?

Susan
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things are simple for the man not doing them. If it is so easy then throw the guy a bone and help him out instead of being so cryptic and dismissive. I think you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with solar and electrical wiring, so spread your knowledge. That's what samba is all about! Smile
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

It is pretty simple to connect the alternator to automatically charge the aux batteries when the engine is running. Especially with your batteries under the back seat, closer to the engine and alternator. You only need 1 new wire from the alternator to the batteries, with a separator device in the wire between the alt and bats. You would be best with a unidirectional separator setup. This is simple stuff.

Mark

I have completed my solar battery charging system and it is working as it should. The batteries are actually wired independently so I installed a manual switch to change the draw from one battery to the other. I'm ready to wire the auxilliary batteries and Sure Power 1314a isolator to the alternator now but not clear on how to go about it.

I understand that I'll be isolating the starting battery from the auxiliary batteries. But does the isolator connecting wire go to the alternator or to the starter?

I realize that this system is probably not ideal but as long as I can make it work I will be happy. I knew nothing about electricity when I started so it has been an awesome learning project!

Susan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Explorist.life interactive solar wiring diagram & shopping list Reply with quote

This looks like it could be a useful resource as a starting point when designing a solar setup.
Lots of Amazon affiliate links to compensate the creator for the time they spent creating this.
(disclaimer - no affiliation, I just came across this while researching the topic)

Interactive solar wiring diagrams: https://www.explorist.life/solarwiringdiagrams/

Link

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Explorist.life interactive solar wiring diagram & shopping list Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
This looks like it could be a useful resource as a starting point when designing a solar setup.
Lots of Amazon affiliate links to compensate the creator for the time they spent creating this.
(disclaimer - no affiliation, I just came across this while researching the topic)

Interactive solar wiring diagrams: https://www.explorist.life/solarwiringdiagrams/

Link

Holy crap that is a lot of money in that system! Shocked

But this is a nice explanation of it.

https://www.explorist.life/basic-parts-of-a-diy-camper-solar-setup/

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: