Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

97 Eurovan cracks in pop top
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Here's your best bet for a new top on the LWB T4

https://www.reimo.com/en/21121-vw_t4_pop_top_roof_superflat_2__lwb__until_2003__front_pop_up__white/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

That would be a great, but expensive upgrade on the lwb campers. More headroom is always good. Definitely looks better than the Winnie style to me.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

[quote="Zeitgeist 13"]Here's your best bet for a new top on the LWB T4

I would rather make one myself out of fiberglass than paying 5000$k.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

[quote="vw_dude"]
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Be sure to post up how that ends up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Yeah, Reimo makes top notch kit for these vans. I really like the full length tops as opposed to those stupid little cargo carriers up front. There are lots of niggling minor issues I've had with the EVC platform, but the tops were always the deal breaker for me. I'd seriously consider buying one with a Reimo poptop or even a hightop.

y u rune klassik?
vw_dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

[quote="Joshwa"]
vw_dude wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Be sure to post up how that ends up.

I worked for a boat maker long time ago. Its doable in garage setting.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
exactly, it's because it's a vacuum formed plastic sheet roof
not a layered fiberglass composite.

I cringe when I see people with these tops and roof racks bolted onto/thru the plastic.

Yeah, one of the previous owners of my '95 EVC had a roof rack and I have a crack. It's a narrow and crooked crack. My plan is cut 1/16" thick x 1.5" wide aluminum bar into sections, aluminum blind rivet the sections to the roof.

I use rivets often to make permanent repairs, seal the holes with quality silicone. I'll use 3/16" rivets with a 1/2" grip range.

Do you think it will work? I was thinking seal the gaps between the riveted aluminum bar sections with Gorilla Glue, then a nice bead of marine sealant on top (and underneath the aluminum bar sections).

I don't care if it's ugly, all I care about is it's effective.
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

That should work. Please post some photos when you're done.
Depending on the nature of the crack, it might not even need the aluminum. I've had a number of large cracks in my top for at least 8 years and have only sealed them with 3M Marine Sealant. They haven't changed at all over that time period.
The appearance bugs me and I think that the two piece top is a stupid design so I'm going to replace it at some point. I was thinking of having Colorado Custom Campers make me one but I also like the look of the Reimo clamshell top.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I cringe when I see people with these tops and roof racks bolted onto/thru the plastic.

Shocked Shocked :shock

jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

The Weekender tops are made differently though, right?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Shocked Shocked :shock

Dan was referring to the Winnie top, which is a plastic shell as opposed to westfalia layered fiberglass.
vw_dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

On the other hand, why would you bother with replacing it?
As far as I understand, this is just a shell, has no structural value to it, unlike Westfalias roofs. So really, my take is to silicon it or plastic weld it and that should be enough...
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

The westfalia roofs are not structural as well...
vw_dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Not sure how fibreglass is reinforced but it seemed to me thar its just fiberglass shell plus lining judging by the thickness.
Anyways. Right now i realised that there is no point to change the top since its purpose is only esthetic.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

I believe there's a plywood sheet in between the fibreglass layers on the Westfalia roofs.

y u rune klassik?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Did the roof crack repair. I'm satisfied, not ecstatic.

* Pulled the tape off that was on there
* Goo Gone to remove the tape residue
* Isopropy alcohol to prep the plastic
* 3M Marine Sealant 5200
* 1/16" x 1.5" aluminum bar hacksawed into 2" segments, covered with brass sheet
* Sealant laid, then drill 3/16" holes for rivets. Didn't need 1/2" grip range, 1/4" grip range was fine.
* 3M seal the rivet holes, seal the top of the rivets afterwards.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Folks who catch some late-night TV might be acquainted with the ads for Flex-Tape and Flex-Seal (a liquid). (The ads where they cut an aluminum boat in half lengthways, then tape it back together and go out at speed on choppy water!) I've used the 4 in. wide Flex tape on 60-year-old shed, and am thinking of using it on the EVC roof. Strong, and the stickum on it is the stickiest I've ever encountered. Probably worth having an assistant help line it up and get it down evenly, as one false move could stick something in a way you don't want.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
The westfalia roofs are not structural as well...

In 2 decades owning Vanagon Westys I spent a lot of time on their roofs- mostly cleaning the top itself. At 175 pounds, I've never felt I was stressing the roof, walking gently all over it. Not so my 'new' EV Winnie (I don't dare get on it. It seems like the worst part of the vehicle, The roof of mine has lots of broad white-ish tape on it, and clearly, the support verticles of the cross-roof Yakima luggage rack bars had contributed to the problem. Reinforcing the vertical sides of the top with another layer of fiberglass/ resin and then attaching those verticles with a plate to further spread the load, instead of up vertically right off the horizontal surface of the top might prevent further trouble.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

I must have read wrong. I was meaning along the lines of the westfalia roof no adding structural rigidity to the van. But yeah, the westfalia roof is way more sound.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan cracks in pop top Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
I must have read wrong. I was meaning along the lines of the westfalia roof no adding structural rigidity to the van. But yeah, the westfalia roof is way more sound.

I totally concur here. The Westfalia roof feels downright rigid. I've had them off and moved them around the shop. The Winne top is downright flimsy in direct comparison.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: