Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idiot book no-no's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is u dooze it your way, i duz it mine! Nuff said.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 61-65 VW Maintenance Manual reprint by Bentley shows how to static time the engine. I follow that procedure twice a year on my stock engine.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Again, I refuse to sacrifice the core of my engine to achieve drivability. And I've only flicked the key and puttered off in temps as low as 9*F. I'll let you know how it does when I find a colder morning... But you're absolutely welcome to tune and maintain your bus however you want; my goal is to make mine last as long as possible without sacrificing enjoyment. So I let the induction warm up along with the metallurgy. I can neither comprehend nor tolerate a finicky princess of a car when there are roads not yet driven, vstas not yet seen, and mountains not yet passed....

...at 55-60 miles per hour...
Wink
Robbie

wcfvw69 wrote:

What's interesting about this is-

1) A stock VW engine with ALL the original, STOCK items in place (tins, thermostat, flaps, pre-heater flap working on the oil bath, clear pre-heat tubes on the carb manifold, etc. Everything the engine came with new. You can absolutely fire it off and drive it cold out the drive way with excellent driveability. My 69 bug is this example.

2) A non-stock VW engine. After market, single header exhaust which provides poor pre-heat to the carb manifold (even with the holes drilled out on the exhaust manifold) on a 1776 engine with a Solex 30/31 carb. No preheat to the oil bath, no thermostat but flaps welded in the open position.
This engine REQUIRES a 4-5 minute warm up before its decently driveable. Once it reaches temperature, it runs beautifully. I'm going to weld a small 1/2" pipe from the pre-heat hole to the bottom of the manifold by where the pipes merge. I've read it get the hot exhaust flow thru the carb manifold pre-heat pipe MUCH better. I'm going to be interested in the difference.

Robbie, the engine you're building is stock. Mine is not. With a non choked dual set up you have to let it warm up a bit To get the intakes warm. The Kats VW-15 oil heater I installed at the beginning of the winter has really helped cold starts and increased the speed the engine gets to temp.

My 1600DP with pict34, stock oil bath and preheat all hooked up warmed up faster then my current set up. It's the nature of the beast.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Cheese and Buses are cool. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all of these replies are precisely why I noted that that the Muir book is NOT a great one.

No one can "really" interpret what VW "exactly" meant in the manuals....when they say start the vehicle and drive immediately. There was no specific detail.

But regardless of type of VW engine, carbs, induction whatever....all of them have bearings and piston rings.

The greatest level of wear is incurred by poor oil flow on start up. The greatest level of oil contamination is created by immediate startup on a cold engine with cold start mixture enrichment....and piston rings that have not yet expanded from heat yet for best fit....but are only sealing from combustion pressure the instant you start up. Don't bother to start arguing these points as they are some of the hallmarks of the automotive industry...well proven.

By the way....the highest level of oil viscosity drop or thinning...is not created by heat (that is the second highest)....it is "shear-thinning" from being worked through the pump and having metallic parts forced through it at a high rate of speed.

What any engine needs to be safe to run....meaning oil flowing and at pressure in the bearing and the rings sealing....is for the vast majority of the oil to have made it through the pump gears at least once.....which drops the viscosity substantially. The rings only need a little heat to come up to a higher temp differential than freezing. Every car needs these things...not just VW.

So I doubt that VW meant....turn the key and IMMEDIATELY drop the clutch and start rolling.

In very cold weather with rings not fully sealed yet...it would be stupid to drive off so quick that the CSV has not stopped spraying and all of that fuel ingested...because with rings not sealed....alot of that fuel is just blowing past the rings.

All of the above comes and goes in about a minute.

Does this mean that the carbs or fuel injection are warmed up enough to drive smoothly and properly?...Uh...no. But that does not mean that driving it immediately after the oil has circulated and the rings have sealed...will hurt any of those systems or the engine.

Also....for those who do not or have not lived in climates that get below 0 like here is Iowa....your opinion does not count Laughing .

There are other reasons to warm up for juuust a little longer. In temps like this...is a very good idea to get SOME heat into rubber and plastic components attached to metal ...because if not...they CRACK quite easily.

The most alarming thing I have ever heard or felt....was last winter in my 2012 Golf....taking off to work with no warm-up...at 4:00 am at 14 below "0". The motor mounts and plastic shroud on the engine were like stone....it rattled over every bump and at every rev for about 8 miles. It cracked the corner of my air cleaner housing at the attachment points.

But much more than 5 minutes warm up is wasting fuel and doing worse because the fuel system is warming up too slowly and keeping you excessively rich for far too long.....which ends up in your oil.

And by the way...and no insults intended....but your 1776 engines, your 2052's your twin Kadrons ...etc....have no real bearing on the original question as to whether the Muir book is good for tech and has no-no's in it....because none of them are stock.

Each modified system can or will have different rules that it must live by.

And....that is the crux of my argument with the Muir book.

Both the book's author and the multitude of those who follow the books advice religiously.......do so primarily because they identify with Muir's attitude, lifestyle and the "only do whats absolutely necessary'...."dont fix it until it breaks"...........which is offered up as "THE RULES" for whats required to own and drive an ACVW........and many take them that way....and many have suffered because of them.

Most people who start with the Muir book, very quickly learn from "doing"...and from good mechanics....that the instructions provided in the Muir book are the BARE MINIMUM required to keep the car ALIVE.

If you want to be safe, have the car around for a long time and have it run better than just rolling...there is a lot more to learn. Not much of that is in the Muir book. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I think you could have just named your '77. Gouda? Cheddar? Razz

I like the Muir book for what it is. It's fun and was a great introduction to the air cooled maintenance world back when I was 15. It was never meant to be a "technical manual" so don't treat it that way.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I think you could have just named your '77. Gouda? Cheddar? Razz

I like the Muir book for what it is. It's fun and was a great introduction to the air cooled maintenance world back when I was 15. It was never meant to be a "technical manual" so don't treat it that way.

Well put!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: John Muir Reply with quote

Keep in mind that, How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot by (John Muir) was first published in 1969.

This is for the Idiot that just flopped down their last fifty bucks for that 57 oval.
Timing lights and dwell meters where a luxury item. But everyone could afford a test light.

John Muir 1918-1977

To John Muir.
“One lives in the hope of being remembered.”
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

The greatest level of wear is incurred by poor oil flow on start up.

Actually SAE testing shows that cold oil lubes just fine at startup. If the engine will crank readily the oil is plenty thin enough to lubricate well.

The greatest level of oil contamination is created by immediate startup on a cold engine with cold start mixture enrichment....and piston rings that have not yet expanded from heat yet for best fit....but are only sealing from combustion pressure the instant you start up.

Oil contamination happens during the period between cold startup and when the oil reaches a temperature where the water begins to evaporate readily.

Don't bother to start arguing these points as they are some of the hallmarks of the automotive industry...well proven.

For the most part these points are misinterpreted (often intentionally) by internet chatter.

By the way....the highest level of oil viscosity drop or thinning...is not created by heat (that is the second highest)....it is "shear-thinning" from being worked through the pump and having metallic parts forced through it at a high rate of speed.

What any engine needs to be safe to run....meaning oil flowing and at pressure in the bearing and the rings sealing....is for the vast majority of the oil to have made it through the pump gears at least once.....which drops the viscosity substantially. The rings only need a little heat to come up to a higher temp differential than freezing. Every car needs these things...not just VW.

So I doubt that VW meant....turn the key and IMMEDIATELY drop the clutch and start rolling.

In very cold weather with rings not fully sealed yet...it would be stupid to drive off so quick that the CSV has not stopped spraying

The CSV stops spraying immediately when you let off the key, though there is likely residual fuel sitting in the plenum that will take a second or three to use up.

and all of that fuel ingested...because with rings not sealed....alot of that fuel is just blowing past the rings.

Fuel gets by the piston rings at idle as well as at higher throttles settings.

All of the above comes and goes in about a minute.

Does this mean that the carbs or fuel injection are warmed up enough to drive smoothly and properly?...Uh...no. But that does not mean that driving it immediately after the oil has circulated and the rings have sealed...will hurt any of those systems or the engine.

Also....for those who do not or have not lived in climates that get below 0 like here is Iowa....your opinion does not count Laughing .

My way to warm up a very cold ACVW engine is to let it run at a high idle for a minute or so before driving off. The heads and pistons will warm quite a bit in this limited amount of time. Of course if there is snow and ice on the windows the engine will get to warm while the windows are being cleaned which can take a while. Even a half minute of warm up in moderate weather will increase driveability; start the engine, buckle the seat belts, turn on the radio, set the ventilation controls, etc., drive off. I also keep my choke set to the lean side to lessen the amount of fuel wash down.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I let it warm up while I'm removing snow.

Aloha
tp
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this forum was a HUGE fan of timing an engine at max advance with a timing light? (with a 009 of course)

Also, one thing Muir recommends in his book is that early bay folks use a bug muffler which I think is a TERRIBLE idea. Yeah it might breathe better, but getting a face full of exhaust anytime you try to tune the bus is awful. Not to mention the venturi trapping all the exhaust behind the bus. Mine had a bug muffler on it when I bought it.... I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was given my first Muir Book at age 17 in 1970. My father was a Universtiy Professor (in Education) and possessed absolutely zero mechanical skills. Tools were his nemesis.
Muir got me going working on that bug. The one story that that stuck out was not a "no-no" - it was a "yes-yes". In the Green Light section he talks about what to do with an overheated engine. After going through the trouble shooting steps he finished with "..if you have a bus - and a chick - now would be a good time to jump in the back and ball."
For a 17 year old that was close to an absolute fantasy.
Still have - and occasionally use - my second copy of the book purchased in 1972.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esher127 wrote:
I thought this forum was a HUGE fan of timing an engine at max advance with a timing light? (with a 009 of course)

We still are....and that includes any distributor with a centrifical advance component (so basically anything newer than 1970 stock is included + the old bus ones & the 009s). We like to make sure that you do not exceed 30º +/- 2º of centrifical advance when it is all in. An engine rebuild costs real money.

My understanding is that the first printing in 1969 had no artwork and was finaced by Muir himself and is worth real money to a collector. My first Idiot book cost about $5.50 back in 1972 and helped me get a basketcase 62 beetle on the road and down the road quite aways.

They may not be the best manual by todays standards, but most of us were lucky to have that. Plus they were fun to read and helped us understand how the car actually worked.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esher127 wrote:

Also, one thing Muir recommends in his book is that early bay folks use a bug muffler which I think is a TERRIBLE idea. Yeah it might breathe better, but getting a face full of exhaust anytime you try to tune the bus is awful. Not to mention the venturi trapping all the exhaust behind the bus. Mine had a bug muffler on it when I bought it.... I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Bug muffler with cheap zoom tube...problem solved.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
Lil' Lulu wrote:
I recall a Muir quote from years ago. Goes something like: "Start the engine. Roll a joint. When the joint is rolled, you're ready to drive.

it's actually phrased as a "hand rolled cigarette." i always think about this when i start my bus cause i used to smoke hand rolls and loved to putter away with a fresh smoke going. it also is a pretty good warm up for a progressive carb, if you keep your throttle at about 40% while you do it.

I really wonder if maybe it was changed from the earlier versions I recall it as saying joint from when I first read it but no longer have my first copy and I see that Peter Shelton on wordpress.com in a article titled Change oil, change consciousness quotes it as (Muir also recommended warming the engine up just a bit before starting out. Not long, just enough to get the oil fully circulating, get the oil pressure up—about the time it took him to roll a joint and light it.) so if any one has a first printing could they check chapter 10 under Volkswagen engines use no water for cooling--oil and air do it all.

And also it was his book and a Haynes manual that I first learned about V.W.s from and when it comes to the 009 debate remember he wrote it before 34-3 carbs or crap Chinese 009s he was talking about german 009s and carbs other then the 34-3 which do work fine (even the Brazil 009 is a good dist for some applications)
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Idiot book no-no's Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
Browsing the forum I've often come across statements about John Muir's "Idiot Book" along the lines of, e.g.

raygreenwood wrote:
Muir book while interesting and [...] fun [...] has so many items in it that range from poor information to absolute "no-no's".....that I dont recomend it for any beginner.

Muir's book was my first introduction to VW repair and maintenance. I did ok with it for quite a few years before stumping up for the green Bentley.

I'm aware that Muir's recommendation for the 009 mech-only advance distributor is perhaps misguided, and his advice to only static-time engines is not a good suggestion, but can anyone tell me what else you can find in the Muir book that is "poor information" or an "absolute no-no"?

been workin' and playin' with VWs for 50 years and only static time, with much success...Hmmm, have several running VWs and all have old 009s...what am I doin' wrong ?
...use the idiot book almost exclusively.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Muir did OK within his time frame along the arc of Volkswagen.

Remember that VWs were made by the millions upon millions during the Vacuum Only Distributor era, roughly 1960 through 1970. Every one had static timing specification, although there was nothing wrong with using a timing light at idle.
In 1971, Volkswagen reverted to centrifugal with combination retard and vacuum advance, and John Muir was confounded by "all that emission technology" which we find quaint today. A centrifugal distributor *should* be timed at maximum advance only to ensure that your engine is happy where it is working hardest. Of course you can time a centrifugal distributor at idle or statically, but why would you want to be in the dark about the critical parameters out on the road?

John Muir's sensitivity towards his target market should be treated with respect, truly, many VW owners were not springing for stroboscopic timing lights back then, and why would they with vacuum only distributors that cannot be timed stroboscopically?

His bias against technology was indeed an example of the blind leading the blind. He hated automatic chokes, rolling joints while the engine warmed up helped to ensure that he could not wrap his mind around how the technology worked in concert with the air preheater/heat riser/ thermostat.

I follow the owner's manual recommendations because I do have the full complement of functional original engineering. The engine starts immediately on the choke (foot off the clutch to save the #1 main bearing thrust surfaces!) and I drive away within 30 seconds and the engine has no driveability issues. The oil is clean, the car is a joy.

IF you are missing the original cold running engineering, then you do have to make allowances for your engine's cold-blooded lack of driveability, and it IS your responsibility to stay off the roads until you know your vehicle can clear intersections and railroad crossings without drama.
Colin

(Ray Greenwood, I was thoroughly entertained by your discussion of shear forces changing the viscosity of oil within one circulation of the pump)
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Muir (1918–1977) was an aerospace engineer who worked for Lockheed so yeah he probably could not wrap his mind around how the technology worked in concert with the air preheater/heat riser/ thermostat. But he did know how to keep a V.W. running with out spending tons of money for the time his book was very good and a lot of things being done to V.W.s in the 70s and 80s by people with lots of experience in the field is now considered wrong my belief is as long as you are not anal about wanting every thing to factory specs his book is very good and if chokes are so important why do most dual carb set ups and some single carb setups such as the weber idf not use them?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what I stated has nothing to do with whether the oil "lubricates" fine or not....which is what SAE was testing for.....they were not testing cold flow properties within specific engines and between specific parts. That fact I noted..... has nothing to do with what the SAE tested. It has been well established by virtually every car manufacturer that cold thick oil does not readily flow into the spaces it needs to very well especially in areas like lifter bores that dont see nearly as much flow as main and rod bearings and especially in splash oiled areas like piston pins. The SAE is correct that cold oil LUBRICATES just fine.....if it reaches the parts.

The sad part of oil viscosity testing (Snd the viscosity testing of many liquids for that matter)....is that is does not take into account "tack" level of cold oil. This affects flow Far greater than the viscosity index variation.

The SAE did virtually all of their lubricity tests for oil on machines that test film strength under load and at temperatures.....not in engines. The few actual tests they have done on actual engines over the years were on a narrow spectrum of engine types.

Yes...its true excess fuel blows past the rings even during idle.....and I noted that....which is why i noted that you dont let it idle very long. Warm it up as rapidly as possible to drop the enrichment levels down asap.

Yes....the CSV stops spraying when you stop cranking.....but have you ever, measured what it puts out?..... a crap load of fuel in those seconds of cranking. And...if your engine is drawing air on all four cylinders and your spray pattern on the CSV is good....I can tell you for fact that very little of that fuel "lays" in the plenum.

Most is in the runners and on the runner walls.....but the point is the same......a crap load of fuel running you very rich along with the CHT and IAT (on injected cars).....and the choke on carbed cars that have one. You get enough fuel and moisture in your blowby to start with. Dont let it idle so long getting even more.

Water/moisture in the blowby from pistons is only one of the contaminants to oil....and not even the major one as most of it will...as you noted...evaporate when the oil reaches operating temp.
However fuel vapor and soot does not evaporate. Fuel vapor readily combines with oil....changing PH and diluting film strength and because it combines as a solvent...it is "locked" to the evaporation point of the oil.

Ray
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Monday morning quarterback here. Lets give the dead guy just a little credit. When the book was written the cars were practically new(meaning they would be more tolerant to less accurate repairs, than todays worn out vehicles). If his book was written like a bently manual, the hippie generation would have never bought the book. Its different approach offers the novice a vast insight to how most any vehicle would operate and how to easily approach fixing one.
The guy was a genius to be able to connect to the VW owners and sell the numbers he did. He was able to compose a repair manual in a style like no one has, either before or after. He was real original, standup guy.
Just think, in 40 years from now, will the things we say here today be all relevant? Let alone write an entire book of ideas! In every book the are many inaccuracies. Especially after the passage of time.
Maybe on the cheap and easy approach he was pretty dead on.

I'd like to think everyone is proud of this guy for not only being an American interested in vws but, His grandfather was one of the key founders of the preservation movement of natural lands in the USA. ie. National parks. (John Muir).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: