Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom built Sambas from Indonesia... for $31,000?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Now that reminds me. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a rare split bus with a slider door that was actually produced by VW? I thought I saw this somewhere.

Yes, there were slider split buses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: FTR Reply with quote

I was just kidding about waiting for the cheaper Chinese model.

I wouldn't want to own any fake bus (and I don't have 31k to spend on a car). That would take all the fun out of it.

Time brings change so anything could happen down the road.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some first person feedback in this thread...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569844&highlight=indonesia

I am totally OK with repro 23 window's with 2 caveats:

1. It is properly acknowledged as such
2. The work is well done...

Personally, I think buying a restored bus from a 3rd world country for a "good deal" is begging for problems. You are better off to buy one of the repo 23's from OldBug, at least you can go inspect it.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main problem is that i didn't build it....I don't trust people without pics of every step of a "restoration"...too much to hide. I would be tempted to strip all of the paint off the car when I got it

Just my 2 cents

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:
my main problem is that i didn't build it....I don't trust people without pics of every step of a "restoration"...too much to hide. I would be tempted to strip all of the paint off the car when I got it
Bret

This is what needs to happen... or, better yet... seller attempts to build a shred of confidence amongst this community & either starts a detailed build thread for every bus advertised on The Samba.... or does the same on their own website... much like KCW.

Without further proof... I call bullshit on the whole Southeast Asian restoration operation.
e
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

This is what needs to happen... or, better yet... seller attempts to build a shred of confidence amongst this community & either starts a detailed build thread for every bus advertised on The Samba.... or does the same on their own website... much like KCW.

Without further proof... I call bullshit on the whole Southeast Asian restoration operation.
e

Dude lives in a poor-ass country, with little chance of upward mobility for 99.99% of the people, and here he is building good-looking cars at a reasonable price. Just a guy trying to make a living operating his own business with limited parts but unlimited imagination and heart. I have to give him A+ on effort.

Although many people on this website would never buy one of his cars, that does not mean that we should belittle him. We can't "call bullshit" on his operation either. His Facebook is full of hundreds of photos….. and he has managed to sell dozens of these beasts. So i don't think anybody can accuse him of "hiding" anything.

Personally I wish this guy the best of luck.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Dude lives in a poor-ass country
Red flag

...little chance of upward mobility
Red flag

(Just to put it in perspective... we are talking about spending FIVE figures. How LONG does it really take you to SAVE that much money?)

...here he is building good-looking cars at a reasonable price.
Red flag... = shiny turd radar going ballistic

...Just a guy trying to make a living
Cry me a river

...operating his own business with limited parts
Red flag... queue the 12 year old brazing Folgers coffee can patch panels in the gutter

... but unlimited imagination
Red flag... queue the Folgers coffee can idea

...and heart.
It's called wanting to make a buck to get out of the 0.01% you mentioned

...I have to give him A+ on effort.
No shit, if I was in the bottom one hundredth of one percent... I'd be putting out some effort too. But, does anybody really know this guy's situation?... and do you want to buy a backyard mechanic's idea of a jet plane because he's tried real hard to make it look good... or because it is good? Needs to be proven.

...Although many people on this website would never buy one of his cars
Ya, because they can read red flags and probably don't do ebay equivalent impulse buys for five figures, on a prayer. If you wish in one hand & shit in the other... which one is going to fill up first?

...that does not mean that we should belittle him.
No, they just should be proving worthiness here... at least a little bit.

...We can't "call bullshit" on his operation either.
Well I suspect you've never known of someone having an accident due to shitty workmanship from southeast Asia build. Stereotypical... ya, but I'm dying to be proved wrong.

...His Facebook is full of hundreds of photos….. and he has managed to sell dozens of these beasts.
Whoopty doo... my Facebook could say I have 4,000 friends....there's a sucker born every minute. any one of those dozen buyers care to step up & make themselves known?... invite an inspection?
I haven't seen any of those dozens piping up in this thread to cheer about quality or integrity. They're probably too fucking ashamed or embarrassed.

...So i don't think anybody can accuse him of "hiding" anything.
I never said he did... I just wait for someone here with the salt to grab one of these smokin' deals & be willing to use the money they saved on a real quality restoration / modification... to uncover the paint.... instead of coming here after some failure and injury to say "lookie... this shit broke right in half where there were two coffee cans brazed together"

...Personally I wish this guy the best of luck.
Whatever... buyer BEWARE
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
...Dude lives in a poor-ass country
Red flag

...little chance of upward mobility
Red flag

(Just to put it in perspective... we are talking about spending FIVE figures. How LONG does it really take you to SAVE that much money?)

...here he is building good-looking cars at a reasonable price.
Red flag... = shiny turd radar going ballistic

...Just a guy trying to make a living
Cry me a river

...operating his own business with limited parts
Red flag... queue the 12 year old brazing Folgers coffee can patch panels in the gutter

... but unlimited imagination
Red flag... queue the Folgers coffee can idea

...and heart.
It's called wanting to make a buck to get out of the 0.01% you mentioned

...I have to give him A+ on effort.
No shit, if I was in the bottom one hundredth of one percent... I'd be putting out some effort too. But, does anybody really know this guy's situation?... and do you want to buy a backyard mechanic's idea of a jet plane because he's tried real hard to make it look good... or because it is good? Needs to be proven.

...Although many people on this website would never buy one of his cars
Ya, because they can read red flags and probably don't do ebay equivalent impulse buys for five figures, on a prayer. If you wish in one hand & shit in the other... which one is going to fill up first?

...that does not mean that we should belittle him.
No, they just should be proving worthiness here... at least a little bit.

...We can't "call bullshit" on his operation either.
Well I suspect you've never known of someone having an accident due to shitty workmanship from southeast Asia build. Stereotypical... ya, but I'm dying to be proved wrong.

...His Facebook is full of hundreds of photos….. and he has managed to sell dozens of these beasts.
Whoopty doo... my Facebook could say I have 4,000 friends....there's a sucker born every minute. any one of those dozen buyers care to step up & make themselves known?... invite an inspection?
I haven't seen any of those dozens piping up in this thread to cheer about quality or integrity. They're probably too fucking ashamed or embarrassed.

...So i don't think anybody can accuse him of "hiding" anything.
I never said he did... I just wait for someone here with the salt to grab one of these smokin' deals & be willing to use the money they saved on a real quality restoration / modification... to uncover the paint.... instead of coming here after some failure and injury to say "lookie... this shit broke right in half where there were two coffee cans brazed together"

...Personally I wish this guy the best of luck.
Whatever... buyer BEWARE

Wow man ….. tell me how you really feel…. Laughing
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather keep my eyes peeled for something like this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1764292

Put $20,000 into something like the above (to get to the $31,000 price of a Yumos VW) and you'd have a pretty decent 15 window without large portions of it being handcrafted.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rock a Brazilian 15 window any day of the week. They're oddball features make then unique. A cool addition to any bus collection. Some people only want campers.....or 23's..... Me, personally would like my vws to be different from each other. It doesn't make me any less if an enthusiast or purist. I'm just into the massive variety that makes Vw as cool as it is.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy e you are absolutely spot on man!-exactly how I see it.

I actually don't think these should be allowed to be advertised in here,it would save anyone being lumbered with one of them abortions!

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some authentic feedback several posts into this sister Indo turd topic:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569844

I'll provide the highlights:
64+65doubledoor wrote:
in aus here we know yumos garage ,they buy 11 window vans and with their $2 an hour labour charge ,turn them into 21 or 23 window busses ,theres a few of them here ,their work is quit good but remember its a 3rd world country and also these busses arnt finished until you pay this is prob only a shell at the moment ,tread carefully
Split 1 wrote:
I have worked on one of these fake splits.
It was imported from Yumos as a 23 window, it was a Brazilian/ South African bay with a hand made front fitted.
It had a Bedford steering box welded in!
It had bog, filler whatever you call it everywhere, the engine lid was twice as thick as it should be due to the filler.
One sill or rocker was 2 inches lower than the other side!
There was bog, filler all over the main chassis rails?
The window holes in the roof were hacked in and the rubbers sat proud of the body.
When the builder was questioned about it he said he had started with a 13 window, all bullshit as the rear was not modified.
Beware, they look great in pictures but you would be shocked close up
IN2VWS wrote:
Once you see one in the flesh, you realize that something is not right about the bus.

There are a few in Oz now........but none of them display their buses at VW shows. I wonder why that is???????
Park one next to an original 23 window, and you will see the differences immediately.

There was one guy that brought one into Oz. Cost him $25k. Then he had to spend another $20k on the bus to make it safe.

Everything on them is hand made, and not the original size. i.e. dash parcel tray, from nose, doors etc. So when you try to replace anything with original parts, they wont fit.

Caveat emptor.
Regarding this last post ^^... and spending $ to make it safe... when these turd scooters (I mentioned a page or two back) were making landfall & people started finding out what Frankenscoots they were... repair shops wouldn't even touch them. They didn't want to 'get them going' again... have them fall apart 127 miles later & then someone would ask the idiotic scooter owner where they had it last worked on. Repair shops would get a bad wrap for no good reason. The repair shops were also afraid if they got it going again, and the piece of shit subsequently caused the idiotic owner to suffer injury or die... they might be somehow held liable... since they laid their hands on it.

Eventually the word made it around the scooter scene & these turds died & not repaired. The same course will be run wherever these turds float up.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only takes a few or maybe just one 5 figure sell to re invest back into work equipment and a few buses later to get the hange of it. So POSSIBLY this guy is alot better or better than most of us here skill wise. C'mon .. It's only sheetmetal. Laughing
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see some crafted barndoors hitting the scene. Sick
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the other thread just posted on these buses and it is pretty eye opening. I've changed my mind and no longer am interested. There is apparently one of these 'sambas' somewhere in the US (Chicago area?) and it would be really interesting to ask the guy who bought it what he thinks. Even more intriguing would be inspecting this thing up close. According to another samba member these Indonesian creations are pretty obvious when next to the real deal.
So I guess I just need to save up another $100,000 and I can have my own real 23. Better hurry up on that, though. They keep getting more expensive every day, it seems.
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that is some effort ( and some filler) turning bays into splits...

A shame the same effort (and correct pressed metal) could be used to assemble ''fresher'' and a tad more correct splits.

Helloooo VW Nordhoff's (line of thought) decendants...Indo is screaming for a car plant to make ''old'' vehicles biz case right there.

Cheers
Split 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please beware
Having worked on one of these buses its amazing that the whole thing didnt crack while driving?
4 inches of filler, bondo, bog, whatever you want to call it.
They will not pay for parts when building these buses and have never seen a genuine 23 so they just copy from pictures.
They are also misleading once the 23 arrived into the country it was so obvious a fake when the owner contacted Yumos they said they started with a genuine 13, which again was a lie.
They look great in photos, and if I was stupid enough to buy just from a photo I would be tempted. But you will never be able to replace any parts as standard ones dont fit, it had an old Bedford truck steering box arc welded into the chassis.
The rear wheel nut was also welded on, yes you cant see that as its covered by the nice shiny hubcap, parts of the fuel line were bits of garden hose?
So again buyer beware!!!
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
I saw the other thread just posted on these buses and it is pretty eye opening. I've changed my mind and no longer am interested. There is apparently one of these 'sambas' somewhere in the US (Chicago area?) and it would be really interesting to ask the guy who bought it what he thinks. Even more intriguing would be inspecting this thing up close. According to another samba member these Indonesian creations are pretty obvious when next to the real deal.
So I guess I just need to save up another $100,000 and I can have my own real 23. Better hurry up on that, though. They keep getting more expensive every day, it seems.

Take a ride in a 23 on a hot sunny day before you decide that is the one to have. I would take a 15 (or a sunroof standard!!!) over a 21/23 any day. Those skylight windows are not worth having
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
I'd rather keep my eyes peeled for something like this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1764292

Put $20,000 into something like the above (to get to the $31,000 price of a Yumos VW) and you'd have a pretty decent 15 window without large portions of it being handcrafted.

You aren't the only one who was thinking that….. That bad-boy was "Gone in 60 Seconds" Very Happy
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really think those Indonesians should re-consider their business plan and focus on making "shorty buses".

Much less modifications…..

Much less work….

Much less upholstery…..

No need to graft noses… Bays would sell as well…..

They could build them for less, sell them for less, and probably pick-up a few corporate accounts (similar to Tillamook) that could order 5 - 10 at a time.

In Orange, Ca. near the antique "circle", there is a shorty bus there at a muffler shop. They got asked so many times every day if it was for sale….. they decided to put a "no, its not for sale" sign on it.

People LOVE them and i bet they would sell strongly to "non-VW" clientele

The purists would still cringe and talk their sh*t ….. but I think from a business standpoint it might be smarter move…….
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: