Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T1 5 lug drums back to T3 4 lug drums or disk on 1970 Notch.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: T1 5 lug drums back to T3 4 lug drums or disk on 1970 Notch. Reply with quote

The PO of my 1970 notch had replaced the original 4 lug drums with what appears to be T1 58-67 drums 311501615A. The front is a T1 front beam with 4 lug disk. The front uses 1/2" spaces and adapter place to convert to 5 lug. After market wheels and this offset nightmare make for some serious tire rubbing and kills the turn radius. I would like to get it all back to 4 lug.I have switched out the front to 914 Porsche 2-Litre and wheel clearance and turn radius is perfect.

I had bought new T3 drums(311501615F) and hubs (311501581) hoping that he had just used the earlier 5 lug T3 drums. No such luck. Since i have the hubs and drums, I was hoping to order the right parts to get it back original.

Just to be sure I order everything I will need to switch this out, can someone tell me if I'm missing anything in the list below.

Left backing plate
right backing plate
2 spring hardware kits
2 wheel cylinders - 311611067C
set of brake pads - 311609537G

Aircooled.net list this backing plate as being the same for T1 and T3. Is this correct?
113-609-439 http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Brake-Backing-Plate-Left-113-609-439E-p/113-609-439e.htm

I am assuming that the ebrake lever and spreader bar are the same and can be reused?

So far just the list above is at $250. Can the rears be converted to disk for not much more? If so give me a link to a good conversion.

Thanks,
Jason
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, type3 backing plates are larger. Did your car get a set of spacers when it got converted to wide 5 drums? Just asking, as bug brakes are smaller than t-3 brakes.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were spacers between the hub/drum and the axle nut.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandtime wrote:
There were spacers between the hub/drum and the axle nut.

Yeah, that's because of the snout of the bug drums being shorter. You want some t-3 backing plates, wheel cylinders, and shoes to convert back to 4 lug, since you already have the drums and hubs. Yes, some super beetle parts will work, like the wheel cylinder and the shoes, but backing plates are T-3 or T-4 only.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it looks like the hardest part of the job will be finding the backing plates....
flyinglow94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the drums are 58-67 the 311 part # indicates it was first used with a type 3 part a 111 # is a bug # and a 211 would be bus. Can you post some pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number seems to be correct for 58-67 as shown in the links below. the drum and backing plate is much smaller than the new T3 drum that I have.

I will post some pictures this evening.

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/brake-drum
http://www.hipperfreios.com.br/pt-br/produto/p:1356/m:4632/e:T
flyinglow94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: T1 5 lug drums back to T3 4 lug drums or disk on 1970 No Reply with quote

islandtime wrote:
The PO of my 1970 notch had replaced the original 4 lug drums with what appears to be T1 58-67 drums 311501615A. The front is a T1 front beam with 4 lug disk. The front uses 1/2" spaces and adapter place to convert to 5 lug. After market wheels and this offset nightmare make for some serious tire rubbing and kills the turn radius. I would like to get it all back to 4 lug.I have switched out the front to 914 Porsche 2-Litre and wheel clearance and turn radius is perfect.

I had bought new T3 drums(311501615F) and hubs (311501581) hoping that he had just used the earlier 5 lug T3 drums. No such luck. Since i have the hubs and drums, I was hoping to order the right parts to get it back original.

Just to be sure I order everything I will need to switch this out, can someone tell me if I'm missing anything in the list below.

Left backing plate
right backing plate
2 spring hardware kits
2 wheel cylinders - 311611067C
set of brake pads - 311609537G

Aircooled.net list this backing plate as being the same for T1 and T3. Is this correct?
113-609-439 http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Brake-Backing-Plate-Left-113-609-439E-p/113-609-439e.htm

I am assuming that the ebrake lever and spreader bar are the same and can be reused?

So far just the list above is at $250. Can the rears be converted to disk for not much more? If so give me a link to a good conversion.

Thanks,
Jason

I see in your original post you had a little dyslexia insted off 113501615A you put 311501615A, The first 3 digits that signify the original model would be type 3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to source some backing plates today. While taking things apart, I noticed that the items that I was taking off didn't seem to match the diagrams that I'm seeing. The order everything was lined up in is below. I didn't find a small oring, thrust washer, or paper gaskets like some diagrams show.

bearing cover > seal > spacer with taper on one end > big o-ring > bearing

Am I mising anything? Also, I failed to make note of which way the spacer taper should face, does anyone know?
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandtime wrote:
I was able to source some backing plates today. While taking things apart, I noticed that the items that I was taking off didn't seem to match the diagrams that I'm seeing. The order everything was lined up in is below. I didn't find a small oring, thrust washer, or paper gaskets like some diagrams show.

bearing cover > seal > spacer with taper on one end > big o-ring > bearing

Am I mising anything? Also, I failed to make note of which way the spacer taper should face, does anyone know?

I think part of this is because you're working on an IRS car, and the fact someone else was in there prior. I'm pretty sure I posted a pic from the Haynes book that shows the IRS set up.
Here it is;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like what I have and it matches what is in my Haynes book. There were several other IRS diagrams online that showed the thrust washer and small o-ring.

Bobnotch, the part about someone else being in there before is what had me worried. Thanks for the help.

This car is is showing my a bit of what restored vs restroyed is all about. Mad It will be right when I get done. Cool
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone stumbles across this thread looking for which way the bevel faces on a T3 spacer, here a picture. The "outer" bevel shown below should go against the drum. The other end should be flat as the type 3 didn't use the small oring and thrust washer that comes in most kits.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to helping me get this setup back to original. Applause

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 4 lug hubs seem to be really tight on the splines. They push on about 1/2" to 3/4" and then I'm having to beat them on. Is this normal?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandtime wrote:
The new 4 lug hubs seem to be really tight on the splines. They push on about 1/2" to 3/4" and then I'm having to beat them on. Is this normal?

Check that the splines on the axle shafts are clean, and that there aren't any burrs on the hub side.
Are you using reproduction hubs? Or used? If repops, they might be machined slightly off, causing what you're running into. If used, inspect the hubs closely, as they might be trying to strip the splines out of them, or maybe some dirt or grease is causing them to hang up.
You really shouldn't have to "beat them on". They should just slide on, but still have some drag doing so.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using re-pop hubs that I bought from CIP1. I have cleaned the splines but have not checked the hubs for burrs. When i get home, I plan on micing the hubs and splines to make sure its not bad machining.

I got the backing plates, shoes, etc back on last night and thought "I'm almost done" Laughing then as I went to push the hubs on .... no go Evil or Very Mad .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: