Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru EJ22 Lifter Tick-Tick-Tick (long.)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just shouldn't do that Ron...Im sorry to hear it is still there. Only two things can cause it, low oil pressure(most common) or an obstruction in either the oil passage to the lifter or an obstruction in the lifter itself.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

It is not hard to check the valve clearance yourself. It takes some patience and dexterity with a feeler gauge. (If you are not sure how to do it we can help). If you check the side that ticks you may find one valve that is at the higher end of the allowable lash. Tighten it up to be closer to the lower clearance and see if the tick goes away. Fingers crossed for you. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I pulled the motor out of my donor I noted that there was a loud ticking noise consistent with the lifter issue. I made a mental note and didn't think much of it. Anyway, during the reseal/reconditioning I found a chunk of metal in the oil pan. Oh no, where did it come from? Well, it came from the rocker assembly. It's a spring that keeps the arms spaced out from the main center support. This may be a rare failure, but just a heads up for anyone trying to track down a noise. This is from an EJ22, I'm not sure if this would apply to other subarus, but something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your posts and comments. When I first heard the tick tick tick, my mind tells me it is a valve clearance. That is what the builders impressions were also. They checked the clearances twice, then replaced the entire rocker assembly and the shop owner set the clearances himself.

Still tick tick tick but only when hot. And at a low idle is when it is the worst.

The oil pressure looks good so I am thinking an obstruction in an oil passage to the lifter. These are solid lifters. I had another Subaru mechanic listen to it, he said "It sounds like solid lifters". Except the drivers side is definitely noisier.

The rebuild shop will stand behind their work and tear the engine down again this winter, when I am done summer camping, to find what is going on. They did say solid lifters are noisier than hydraulic ones and would swap them out if that is what I wanted. I just want a purring little engine again.

It is still interesting that there has been no change at all with over 10k miles on the engine. I am still happy with my little EJ22, but I don't like engine noises.

I was hoping to report that it is quiet by now...

We are coming up through Montana in a few days, possibly Kalispell? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I was hoping to report that it is quiet by now...

k:

Forgive my ignorance but why the heck don't you just install hydraulic lifters and cams???

I have a few sets right here if it will help the cause.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never succeeded in getting a solid lifter valve train to be as quiet as a hydraulic lifter valve train. Most of the time, the other engine noises would drown out the lifter noise, such as solid-lifter LT-1 engines, air-cooled Type 1 engines, Toyota 22RE engines, etc. Maybe the Subaru solid lifter cams have very long ramps that help to make them quiet, but I have always assumed there was no real way to quiet solid lifter valve trains. Listen to an air-cooled 911 just above idle - - even Porsche was not able to quiet solid lifters.

I suspect your engine builder wanted you to have a very bullet-proof engine and feared that sustained high rpm and high load might lead to lifters collapsing or what have you. Hope you get it sorted!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:

I suspect your engine builder wanted you to have a very bullet-proof engine and feared that sustained high rpm and high load might lead to lifters collapsing or what have you. Hope you get it sorted!

It is interesting that you made this comment. The builder owns vanagons and understands that in the Intermountain west my Syncro will be revving high in third gear much of the time climbing mountain passes. He said he would build me a very "bulletproof " engine. He also said that solid lifters would be better for sustained high rpms. I told him to build me the most reliable EJ22 possible.

I have understood the a solid lifter drivetrain is noisier, but I can't understand one side making more noise than the other.

I would go with hydraulic lifters but am relying on the expertise of a very knowledgeable builder. If I have to put up with some lifter noise for added reliability, I can learn to deal with it. I can't hear it from the drivers seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
Im sorry about my previous statement...I had forgotten that you have solids. Has anyone adjusted the valves since you put the motor in? They are so easy to do yourself, and just ONE slightly loose adjustment will make a racket. Others on here are correct in saying this type of valve train is more noisy, but it shuld be a uniforn sewing machine type of sound.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On two longer trips (4 hours or so) after putting in Pennzoil full synthetic 10W40--the platinum, made from natural gas kind--I am getting lifter tick after running on the highway.

I get no tick around town, and the tick after extended highway driving goes away after some local driving.

Oil level is fine. It doesn't seem to burn much if any oil at all.

When I return from this trip (currently in Rochester dropping off a daughter at RIT) I think I am going to drain it out and refill with something else.

Any suggestions for a good synthetic (or Dino) oil for the little old EJ22?
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just drove from Rochester to Saratoga to Albany, and now there's no tick at all. Motor sounds great.

Or it's about to explode.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: