Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Familiar With This Thing For Sale?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Anyone Familiar With This Thing For Sale? Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this '73 for sale? I'm looking to buy a white '73 but I'm in Philly and this is in Watsonville,CA. Interesting because it has running board and air scoops like a '74. Thought maybe some of you may be familiar with it or maybe know the owner. Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1661513

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know it. It has been a while but I have seen '73s where the owner later added the '74 scoops. The thing that caught my eye is the recessed placement of the radio. The ad says it has a gas heater but doesn't say it has a working gas heater. First blush makes me think it has potential although shipping it cross country wouldn't be cheap.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That radio placement will likely be affecting spare tire area in the boot... Rolling Eyes Weird...

Looks like it has the improved aerodynamics windscreen angle package as well!

Overall not a bad looking Thing! Don't get hung up on color though.. AnyThing can be painted!
No affiliation, but This one caught my eye...(but! I am Not in the market)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1764012
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
That radio placement will likely be affecting spare tire area in the boot... Rolling Eyes Weird...

Looks like it has the improved aerodynamics windscreen angle package as well!

Overall not a bad looking Thing! Don't get hung up on color though.. AnyThing can be painted!
No affiliation, but This one caught my eye...(but! I am Not in the market)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1764012

For the price of shipping, this would be almost the same price, and looks to be a better candidate.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shipping is always cheaper than rust repair Smile
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
shipping is always cheaper than rust repair Smile

Watsonville is near the beach in Northern California (90 miles south of San Francisco). With lots of moist, salt water air, I wouldn't believe this car is free from rust. In fact both of my Things lived their lives in dry Southern California near the desert and both had rust in the rockers, pans and windshield frames. Unless they are stored indoors, they all rust.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping should be right around $1000. I've done it several times using Montway Trucking. I agree with GI Joe though. The one he posted looks just as nice and is closer so shipping would be less to make up the diffo in price.
P-garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Thing FS Reply with quote

Saw this one on the Delaware craigslist. I don't know anything about it, other than it's painted yellow, which makes it faster & more valuable than all other Things!

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/4865773386.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Oscarsnapkin......?? What's the scoop? How's the search going?
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing FS Reply with quote

P-garage wrote:
Saw this one on the Delaware craigslist. I don't know anything about it, other than it's painted yellow, which makes it faster & more valuable than all other Things!

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/4865773386.html

Plus, the exhaust stinger will spear any bikers that are following too close.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
So, Oscarsnapkin......?? What's the scoop? How's the search going?

Nothing yet. The Thing that I posted has been for sale since July, and the ad says "Must Sell,' so I thought maybe they would take a low ball offer, making up for shipping cost while still getting a good deal. Apparently they are not too motivated to sell since they haven't responded to my calls or emails. I want to get a '73 because I like the fact that they were the first year for U.S. and the gas heater. However, I love the look of the Acapulco. The Thing I was asking about was a white '73 with air scoops and running boards, so all it really needed was some blue paint slapped here and there and it would essentially look like an Acapulco. The one GI Joe posted for sale in Massachusetts is a much nicer car, and it's located only about 10 minutes from my inlaws. However, I don't really want to spend $7500 right off the bat, I'd rather have a little more of a fixer-upper. Anyhow, the search continues. Thanks, I'll definitely keep you posted.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Canadian 74's come with a gas heater and the normal 74 heat?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
....The one GI Joe posted for sale in Massachusetts is a much nicer car, and it's located only about 10 minutes from my inlaws. However, I don't really want to spend $7500 right off the bat, I'd rather have a little more of a fixer-upper. Anyhow, the search continues. Thanks, I'll definitely keep you posted.

$6850 for the original one you posted from the Left coast, or $7500 for a Much nicer car near family! Question

We're you hoping for That much of a lowball on the $6850? lol...
Laughing
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got family in Salinas, if I go up on Wednesday (depends on my dad) I'd gladly look for you.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
oscarsnapkin wrote:
....The one GI Joe posted for sale in Massachusetts is a much nicer car, and it's located only about 10 minutes from my inlaws. However, I don't really want to spend $7500 right off the bat, I'd rather have a little more of a fixer-upper. Anyhow, the search continues. Thanks, I'll definitely keep you posted.

$6850 for the original one you posted from the Left coast, or $7500 for a Much nicer car near family! Question

We're you hoping for That much of a lowball on the $6850? lol...
Laughing

Wasn't 'hoping' for anything. It never hurts to make an offer, especially for a car that's been for sale for almost 9 months.

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents on topic

after building one from ground up and 3.5 years of time (at what I thought was good entry price), my next one I will look for a good solid platform that I can put touches upon.

don't get me wrong, I have always built my own and take pride in whether home repairs, RC aircraft hobbies to my Thing.

Like most of us have learned with our Things, the nickels and dimes seriously add up. What appears Ok, suddenly grows as you dig deeper into the project.

most likely this is not new news to you.

my opinion, spend a little more up front for one that is in better overall condition with recently replaced parts etc. you will be road worthy and have more time to enjoy on the road vs in the shop.

Good luck with whatever path you choose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

63ziggy wrote:
Just my 2 cents on topic

after building one from ground up and 3.5 years of time (at what I thought was good entry price), my next one I will look for a good solid platform that I can put touches upon.

don't get me wrong, I have always built my own and take pride in whether home repairs, RC aircraft hobbies to my Thing.

Like most of us have learned with our Things, the nickels and dimes seriously add up. What appears Ok, suddenly grows as you dig deeper into the project.

most likely this is not new news to you.

my opinion, spend a little more up front for one that is in better overall condition with recently replaced parts etc. you will be road worthy and have more time to enjoy on the road vs in the shop.

Good luck with whatever path you choose

Could not agree more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: