Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Studded tires on dry pavement
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Studded tires on dry pavement Reply with quote

The other day I was going just a little too fast and the light changed to red (ok, a lotta too fast). Lucky for me that there weren't any other cars around because my bug decided to start doing the under steer thing.

Since I was used to doing this on purpose when I was younger (I think the kids call it drifting now), I had it under control.

Well - sort of under control. After having the back end try to come over to one side and then the other, I came to a rest at a slight angle.

Besides no traffic I was lucky Johnny Law wasn't around as well.

I just sat in my car and kind of whooped it up, like I meant to do that for the benefit of the cars in the on-coming lane. Confused

I realized that I probably won't have had any problems if my rears were studded snow tires. They are getting changed out soon!

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better hurry since you have to take them off in April for the summer months.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the drifting days in japan in the early 70's with my brother&other friends.what a blast we had teaching the Oriental kids how to do it.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Better hurry since you have to take them off in April for the summer months.
All depends on where you live.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in day (late '70s and '80s) I was a bit crazy and almost always accelerated my Beetles into corners during the winter, using the handbrake to slide around the corner, the slippery the roads the better. Tires than had seen too many years added to the fun.

Maybe a little crazy then, but as the years went by the experience (of knowing how to control a skidding car) has been invaluable here in the snowy north.

That kind of training should be mandatory.

Studded tires haven't been allowed in Ontario for decades.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
That kind of training should be mandatory.

Yes. And I wouldn't bother with studs.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Studded tires on dry pavement Reply with quote

ebenasky wrote:
The other day I was going just a little too fast and the light changed to red (ok, a lotta too fast). Lucky for me that there weren't any other cars around because my bug decided to start doing the under steer thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be oversteer?

I took the studded snows of my 2wd Toyota pickup a few weeks ago. We have had an almost non-existent winter, and what little snow we had is long gone.

I agree that learning to slide around in the snow when I was young was a great lesson for future slick situations. I grew up in Northern MN, and spent many evenings cruising around in my '68 Plymouth Satellite doing donuts in parking lots. We would drive out onto the frozen lakes at night with the lights off and make giant sliding circles, steering with the throttle the whole time. We never had studs or tire chains, (illegal) snow tires, (expensive) or 4WD, (also expensive). I never got stuck and never went in the ditch. I did have a 100 pound manhole cover in the trunk, though. Laughing
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah to be 16 and broke again.... Studded snow tires were a luxury only oil barons and professional athletes could afford.

I remember changing the tires when they started to grow hair.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: