Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve in Sunnyvale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

I just installed a 100W solar panel on our Eurovan Camper.

In order to keep the weight down, avoid increasing the height, and keep from adding the risk of water intrusion through new holes, I decided to use a Renogy bendable panel. It cost me $199 (shipping included!) and only weighs 4 pounds.

I glued it to the pop-top using silicon caulk, laid in strips from from to back, so there should still be a small gap where air can circulate:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next part was tricky, because I didn't want to drill holes through the roof. When the top closes, it has a thick pad that sits on the metal roof, so I run the cables under that. The canvas is attached to the top using a 'L' bracket, so I cut some notches to let it bend enough to let the cables fit through:

I stuck some fiberglass around the cables to keep the bugs out:

It is visible from the inside, but it's not ugly:

Here's the view from the outside:

It was surprisingly easy to get the cables down to the battery box. I was able to just feed them down:

They ended up here in the battery box. (We had an RV shop replace the dead battery with 2 6-volt batteries.)

The charge controller is the SunSaver Duo. I chose it because we park the camper on our driveway when we're not camping, for months during the winter, and in California we still get sun in the winter when it's not raining, and this controller will charge the vehicle (starting) battery as well as the camper battery. We had the RV shop run a 12-gauge cable from the engine battery to the camper battery box, which made it easy to hook up.

There have been discussion about PWM vs MPPT controllers, and while I could get more power using a MPPT controller, it's not that big a difference when using a single 100W panel. Besides, I couldn't find a MPPT controller that would charge 2 batteries at a reasonable price. I mounted the controller against the rear wall of the battery compartment:

Again, to avoid drilling holes, I used sticky Velcro™.

TODO

On my list of things to do next:

• Install the Morningstar Remote Meter. I'll probably put it above the 12v power outlet in the rear.
  • Actually use the large batteries by installing an inverter. My wife wants to use a small rice cooker while we're camper.

Concerns

I am a little worried about the silicon glue (caulk) while driving on the freeway. However, because the panel is so thin, and the air pressure should press down at the rear of the vehicle, I'm not too concerned. I carefully cleaned the top of the camper and the bottom of the panel with alcohol, so it should hold quite well.

I am also a little worried that the cables will let water get underneath in contact with the canvas. However, there should be enough air flow to let it dry out after the rain stops, so we'll have to wait and see. (I may have to wait a long time before the California drought is over.)
GotMojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did something very similar on my Rialta (2002EV). http://hbrialta.wordpress.com under the Solar menu.

You're going to want to use some 3M tape and seal the edges with some Dicor. Once air gets between the panel and the roof it'll start loosening up.

I've been very happy with it so far. It can keep up with a 12V fan on medium and a 4cu ft fridge running off of a 750W inverter without any trouble.
Steve in Sunnyvale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the meter installed:

joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: solar Reply with quote

I have the same meter, now all you have to do is learn to read it! Shocked We Put the same cell on a Syncro, but we sealed it up all around. Yes the wind made us think twice.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
runinguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

How did you make the hole at the back corner of the top bunk needed to feed the wires down to the cable box?
Steve in Sunnyvale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

runinguy wrote:
How did you make the hole at the back corner of the top bunk needed to feed the wires down to the cable box?

The hole (an opening, actually) was already there. I just pushed the thick wires down, and they ended up in the right place.
runinguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

Steve in Sunnyvale wrote:
runinguy wrote:

The hole (an opening, actually) was already there. I just pushed the thick wires down, and they ended up in the right place.

You're right, I had to unfasten and move forward a few inches the wooden board that forms the upper bunk. Sure enough though, the opening was there and led right down to the battery box! Thanks for posting your setup, it has helped me a lot in putting my system together.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome walkthrough here. Thank you so very much.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michaelhilb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool and very helpful guide! I think I found my next project, thanks so much!
smdoherty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

This is quite an old thread but I've got some questions if OP or anyone else who's done this upgrade can help answer them.

I called up GoWesty, asking if they had instructions on installing the aux battery solar charger they sell. They told me they don't have instructions for installing the units they sell. And, to my shock, they told me the Eurovan Camper isn't designed to allow a solar panel to be added to the electrical system.

Now, I'm hesitant to add a solar panel, though I'd really like to do so.

On the Aux/House battery compartment, there's a very clear warning. It says to disconnect the battery before charging it. This lines up with what GoWesty was saying. I'm getting the idea that the charging system built into the EVC needs to be disconnected, if there's going to be another source charging the Aux/House battery.

Can anyone speak to this part of the install? Do you have a disconnect switch for your Aux/House battery from the power system of your EVC? Do you cutoff the connection to your stock system when you charge via solar?

Thanks a bunch!
runinguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

I can share some general info on what I know about the EVC auxiliary battery system based on my research and experience with it on my own 1995 camper. In stock form, the aux battery is set up for charging from two sources: (1) the van's engine battery (only when the ignition switch is in the ON position, which closes the relay that connects the engine battery with the aux battery); and (2) from the onboard converter/charger, which is only active when connected to shore power. I believe a third source (PV) can also be included as I have successfully done this myself and have seen many other examples on the net. It's as simple as wiring the panel(s) to the charge controller, and wiring the charge controller to the battery. It gets a bit trickier when adding an inverter to provide off-grid AC power. In this case, I rewired the incoming shore power and added a switch to ensure that the van's AC circuits could only receive power from either the inverter or shore power and never both simultaneously.

Hope that helps get you further along the way toward your own system and for what it's worth I say go for it. See below for some specific answers to your questions.

smdoherty wrote:
I called up GoWesty, asking if they had instructions on installing the aux battery solar charger they sell. They told me they don't have instructions for installing the units they sell. And, to my shock, they told me the Eurovan Camper isn't designed to allow a solar panel to be added to the electrical system.

I'm a bit confused because (1) both of the PV charging systems they sell have basic instructions right on each item's webpage and (2) if the EVC isn't designed to allow solar, why are they selling PV chargers for it? Maybe it's because strictly speaking it isn't "designed" for this but practically speaking it can accommodate the addition of PV... I'm leaning towards the later.

smdoherty wrote:

I say don't be.

smdoherty wrote:
On the Aux/House battery compartment, there's a very clear warning. It says to disconnect the battery before charging it. This lines up with what GoWesty was saying. I'm getting the idea that the charging system built into the EVC needs to be disconnected, if there's going to be another source charging the Aux/House battery.

Can anyone speak to this part of the install? Do you have a disconnect switch for your Aux/House battery from the power system of your EVC? Do you cutoff the connection to your stock system when you charge via solar?

I've never seen or heard of this warning. My system has no manual disconnect for the stock charging systems (engine battery or converter/charger, as explained above) and I've never had any issues. Over two years later and the system is still running great.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

smdoherty wrote:
This is quite an old thread but I've got some questions if OP or anyone else who's done this upgrade can help answer them.

Thanks a bunch!

You are smart to proceed carefully. These devices fail catastrophically, with no warning, and the result is often fire. There is tons of poor quality solar controllers on the market which coupled with a poor installation, are consuming cars in conflagration.
smdoherty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

runinguy
Quote:
I'm a bit confused because (1) both of the PV charging systems they sell have basic instructions right on each item's webpage and (2) if the EVC isn't designed to allow solar, why are they selling PV chargers for it? Maybe it's because strictly speaking it isn't "designed" for this but practically speaking it can accommodate the addition of PV... I'm leaning towards the later.

GoWesty's solar kits are, as a GoWesty Rep says, for the Eurovan and Eurovan Weekender. Not the Camper. They're meant to be installed with an aux battery kit, not added to the EVC system.
I think it's important, here, that we differentiate between the EV and EVC. GoWesty's products sold and installation instructions for the EV are not necessarily compatible with the EVC.

It seems as though you're saying you have a '95 EVC, as do we. So, in that case, we should be on the same page about compatibility. It is odd, however, that your does not have the same block lettering sticker on the aux battery cover, warning to disconnect the aux battery before charging from an external source.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

I'd think with the bazillion RV's out there that you can have everything you want in some unit. When you have an RV with a genset, the engine and shore power, somehow they can make that all work and not be too complex. I'd think that there has to be something out there that just replaces the genset with the solar setup. It doesn't have to be Eurovan specific, just something that is in use today. With all of the boon docking going on, there's got to be a ready made solution that you could retrofit into a EV.

I do know that the EVC charging system from the engine to the aux batteries is marginal at best as it's some pretty thin wiring along with that ancient modified starter solenoid. With many of the better more HD solutions out there (like I did on my EV) I'd look into redoing some of the wiring because the RV industry is good at one thing, sub par wiring and methodology. The EVC is right along with that. It "works" but could be made much more efficient and then get the full use out of the batteries.
runinguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

smdoherty wrote:
runinguy
Quote:

GoWesty's solar kits are, as a GoWesty Rep says, for the Eurovan and Eurovan Weekender. Not the Camper. They're meant to be installed with an aux battery kit, not added to the EVC system.
I think it's important, here, that we differentiate between the EV and EVC. GoWesty's products sold and installation instructions for the EV are not necessarily compatible with the EVC.

It seems as though you're saying you have a '95 EVC, as do we. So, in that case, we should be on the same page about compatibility. It is odd, however, that your does not have the same block lettering sticker on the aux battery cover, warning to disconnect the aux battery before charging from an external source.

Multiple charging sources on the battery shouldn't be an issue. In fact, this happens any time you are plugged in to shore power and you turn on the van's ignition. Adding an additional charging source, especially one with programming for multistage charging (e.g. an MPPT PV charge controller, a standalone battery charger, maybe some generators, inverter/chargers, converter/chargers, etc), generally should not present any issues. This is done in off-grid systems where both wind and PV generation are used to charge the same battery. As I mentioned before, I have seen many examples, and successfully built my own example, of PV charging in the EVC. One thing I should add is that the charger in my van has never worked so I have not personally been able to see how the PV charging and shore power charging work together. You can search the web to find many examples and tutorials on installing PV charging in the EVC. I used many to help me in designing and installing my system.
smdoherty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

runinguy wrote:

Multiple charging sources on the battery shouldn't be an issue. In fact, this happens any time you are plugged in to shore power and you turn on the van's ignition. Adding an additional charging source, especially one with programming for multistage charging (e.g. an MPPT PV charge controller, a standalone battery charger, maybe some generators, inverter/chargers, converter/chargers, etc), generally should not present any issues. This is done in off-grid systems where both wind and PV generation are used to charge the same battery. As I mentioned before, I have seen many examples, and successfully built my own example, of PV charging in the EVC. One thing I should add is that the charger in my van has never worked so I have not personally been able to see how the PV charging and shore power charging work together. You can search the web to find many examples and tutorials on installing PV charging in the EVC. I used many to help me in designing and installing my system.
Quote:

That's very encouraging!

Having both shore power and solar connected is where I have concerns and where I think the warning label on the battery compartment is meant to sway owners away from connecting solar in a haphazard way.

I think there needs to be a switch to turn off shore power charging and switch to solar. But, that would disconnect the battery from the entire EVC power system.

I haven't found sufficient EVC solar install examples online, after extensive google searching. There's alot for the EV and other vans, but not the EVC.
sdunn35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
I'd think with the bazillion RV's out there that you can have everything you want in some unit. When you have an RV with a genset, the engine and shore power, somehow they can make that all work and not be too complex. I'd think that there has to be something out there that just replaces the genset with the solar setup. It doesn't have to be Eurovan specific, just something that is in use today. With all of the boon docking going on, there's got to be a ready made solution that you could retrofit into a EV.

I do know that the EVC charging system from the engine to the aux batteries is marginal at best as it's some pretty thin wiring along with that ancient modified starter solenoid. With many of the better more HD solutions out there (like I did on my EV) I'd look into redoing some of the wiring because the RV industry is good at one thing, sub par wiring and methodology. The EVC is right along with that. It "works" but could be made much more efficient and then get the full use out of the batteries.

This is the right way to think about this. Although I would add it is trivial to install a disconnect switch for the solar panel for whenever you are plugged into shore power. I considered the problem you articulate briefly while rebuilding the whole coach battery setup, but my solar panels are portable, and there's just no use case where I would plug them in if I have shore power available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

Use a three way switch. Position 1 for shore, position 2 for solar and then position 3 for when you are driving. On race trailers we have that. It's position 1 is the onboard generator, 2 is shore and 3 is off. 3 actually defaults to 12V for the batteries to operate the 12V lights and charge the batteries for the rear liftgate (some have a 12V backup just in case the generator takes a dump and there's no shore power. Last thing you want it a trailer full of racecars and equipment and not be able to get it out.
runinguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

Here are some resources I'm aware of, some specifically about PV on an EVC and some more general in nature:

http://xochi.com/evc/solar-panel/
http://www.agirlandhervan.com/where-am-i/goingsolar
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582838&highlight=thin
http://www.camperize.com/mounting-solar-panels/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/slightholder/sets/72157632977105871/
http://www.exploringalternatives.ca/we-have-solar-power-in-the-van/

With this you can probably design and install a system you are happy with.

A three-way switch could give you good peace of mind knowing that it would eliminate any risk related to having multiple simultaneous charging sources. Personally I just wonder if it's necessary. And again, if/when you get to the point of adding an inverter, I definitely would recommend adding a three-way switch to eliminate the possibility of mixing the AC power from shore and inverter.
smdoherty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

runinguy wrote:
Here are some resources I'm aware of, some specifically about PV on an EVC and some more general in nature:

http://xochi.com/evc/solar-panel/
http://www.agirlandhervan.com/where-am-i/goingsolar
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582838&highlight=thin
http://www.camperize.com/mounting-solar-panels/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/slightholder/sets/72157632977105871/
http://www.exploringalternatives.ca/we-have-solar-power-in-the-van/

With this you can probably design and install a system you are happy with.

A three-way switch could give you good peace of mind knowing that it would eliminate any risk related to having multiple simultaneous charging sources. Personally I just wonder if it's necessary. And again, if/when you get to the point of adding an inverter, I definitely would recommend adding a three-way switch to eliminate the possibility of mixing the AC power from shore and inverter.

Great stuff! I'll take a deeper look into those links when I get some time.

Are there any guides you know of for removing the paneling and replacing it, in order to install permanent wiring? I'm sure there's tricks to it to avoid breaking anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: