Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
runinguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

What paneling?
Daralyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

Steve in Sunnyvale wrote:
I just installed a 100W solar panel on our Eurovan Camper.

Hi Steve, it's been several years since you installed the system, do you still have your EVC and are you still using the same panel? If so, how is it holding up and performing?
derekmjenkins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel installation on Eurovan Camper Reply with quote

smdoherty wrote:
runinguy wrote:

Multiple charging sources on the battery shouldn't be an issue. In fact, this happens any time you are plugged in to shore power and you turn on the van's ignition. Adding an additional charging source, especially one with programming for multistage charging (e.g. an MPPT PV charge controller, a standalone battery charger, maybe some generators, inverter/chargers, converter/chargers, etc), generally should not present any issues. This is done in off-grid systems where both wind and PV generation are used to charge the same battery. As I mentioned before, I have seen many examples, and successfully built my own example, of PV charging in the EVC. One thing I should add is that the charger in my van has never worked so I have not personally been able to see how the PV charging and shore power charging work together. You can search the web to find many examples and tutorials on installing PV charging in the EVC. I used many to help me in designing and installing my system.
Quote:

That's very encouraging!

Having both shore power and solar connected is where I have concerns and where I think the warning label on the battery compartment is meant to sway owners away from connecting solar in a haphazard way.

I think there needs to be a switch to turn off shore power charging and switch to solar. But, that would disconnect the battery from the entire EVC power system.

I haven't found sufficient EVC solar install examples online, after extensive google searching. There's alot for the EV and other vans, but not the EVC.

When adding Solar to the EVC you are adding a charging source to the coach batteries which are already supplied by the Magnatek 3200 Converter/Charger when connected to shore power. Batteries are also charged by the alternator when driving. From the manual:
From the manual: wrote:
The converter in this vehicle has a special electronic charger section which also charges the coach battery while the shoreline is plugged into a 110-volt source. The electronic charger constantly monitors and adjusts the rate of charge so the battery is not undercharged or overcharged - the two major causes of battery deterioration and failure. If the coach battery has been extremely discharged, it will accept charge at a relatively high amperage rate. If it is only slightly discharged, it will charge at a lower amperage rate. The rate of charge will decrease as the battery reaches “full charge”. Active charging will not resume until the battery again falls below “full charge”. The converter will not overcharge the battery. If your storage battery does not charge as described above, it is possible the battery is defective.

Since it would be difficult to add the solar system to the current charge controller you will definitely need to add a dedicated charge controller for the solar system. Basically this regulates the output of the panels based on the battery charge state. It should be safe for this to be independent of the other controller. i.e. solar and shore power could theoretically charge the battery at the same time.

I think the trickier setup is when you want to run the house EVC AC plugs in the coach off of an inverter when disconnected from shore power but directly to shore power when it is connected (bypass the inverter when on shore power) and still charge the coach battery. I think an inverter charger such as this Renogy 1000W PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER CHARGER could be installed with a charge controller up but I'm not 100% sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: