Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roamingwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrrrrr!

those are great pics dave, just show me what i'm missin' out on.. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

there will be one day when the price is right.

ricky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw-thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from another new Thing owner! After months of searching and many disappointments, I brought home my 1971 Thing last night, complete with the old Mexican plates in the trunk! I hope you'll forgive me when I start posting questions about topics that may seem obvious to experienced Thing owners...right now my enthusiasm exceeds my mechanical abilities, but I'm learning. This is my first VW and my first Thing, but I'm hooked. I think a Westy camper is next! :mrgreen:

Kris
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. Seems like Westies and Things go together. i own both. Who else here owns a westy?
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Roamingwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
Welcome aboard. Seems like Westies and Things go together. i own both. Who else here owns a westy?

you don't say! must be why i developed a tooth for the sweet thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like if you get one type of air cooled VW, the rest just find thier way to your doorstep....Eventually. Here's a shot of my 69 Westy.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/103292.jpg

Last edited by TimGud on Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g1142y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Let me add myself to this list. I bought a '74 thing last October. Although pretty handy with cars, it's my first VW. I retired as a marketing VP for a lager insurance company and am classified as disabled by the VA and my wife. I selected the Thing because of two reasons. First, I'd always wanted one; and, second, I can easily understand what everything on it does!

My car is in excellent shape mechanically and is modified with electronic ignition, progressive two-barrel Weber, and electric fuel pump. It runs far better than I'd ever expected with just these simple mods.

Unfortunately, the car has badly repaired right front corner damage so I'm going to have to do some re-repair body work.

There seems to be no Thingers close to me so I may have to rely on you guys for advice. Glad to be on board. Laughing
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy and Thing owner right here! I have a 67 Westy. I also had a 71 Westy, but I sold it last summer. Westys and Things compliment each other very nicely! Leave the Westy at the campground with the curtains drawn and what not, meanwhile take the 181 on your daily adventures. Ride the sand dunes, go to the beach, etc. etc.
To feel the thrill of desire"
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Last edited by nthang on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: URL Reply with quote

Almost forgot the baby pics: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=nthang .
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nthang: The chromalusion sculpture is real neat! Great work! That is a sharp camo paint job you put on your thang too.

Welcome g1141Y, you will find this group to be very helpful when you have a question. There are alot of good people that visit this site! By the way you couldn't have picked a better year thing to purchase. JMHO? Wink Don't you agree bljones?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as a bad Thing.
Even fatchick Things, tim. Twisted Evil

Welcome aboard, gentlemen.

2%
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled across this great site and joined up. I currently drive a 73 Thing, I have owned it for nearly 20 years and could never give it up. Over the years I have owned many air cooled VW's and as soon as the Thing gets new paint I am going to restore a single cab. Again great site and you will see me around often.

Dave
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, nobrakes. I grew up with The Thing and inherited it when I was 17. No matter what other cars come & go, the Thing stays. If I have a son, he'll get it someday, and he better not sell it if he knows what's good for him. In 50 years I'll be an old bastard letting everyone in their zero-emmissions Jetsons-cars enjoy the black smoke from my 1600!
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! I am new to the samba forums but not to THINGs.. I currently have a 73 that is in getting painted and it is my 6th thing.. I live in Phoenix area and originally from PA i work at a VW dealer in scottsdale.. but its good to be on here and it looks like there is some good info and good people on this forum!!

I hope no one bashes me for lowering it and changing the factory color!! I have always wanted a slammed lime green thing!! Razz
Targus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
Welp...Let's see here.
My name Is Mike and as you can see this is my second post here at Samba. I have been out of the volksie loop for about 7 years now and really wanted to get back into it. I have owned 5 volksies before my most recent one. They included...
a 71 westy-
a 70 westy-
a 58 ragtop beetle with TONS of mods-
a 73 beetle-
a 62 beetle-totally stock and original.

Just the other day I traded my 79 Triumph Spitfire for a 74 thing. About 8 years ago it was undergoing a full restoration but the owner lost intrest. Since that time it just sat in his garage with a nice new paintjob, a new interior, all new rubber, and a few other goodies. (All sitting on the floor in pieces of course.) It's in beautiful shape with the exception of the engine and I'm having a bit of trouble wiring the headlights. (It's been a long time and I don't remember 9 wires in a headlight bucket.) I have owned it for 2 days and it's already totally done with those 2 exceptions. Today I picked up a lightly used 1641 and am going thru it currently to find out if it needs any help, and I also got a used pair of 40mm DLRA's. I'm hopeing I can tune those big puppies in! (Heh heh heh Twisted Evil )
Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and let my fellow Thing fans in on my progress.
Cheers!
Mike
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Targus, welcome back to the fold- the VW addiction is like staying at the Hotel California- you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. nobrakes, glad you found us- we can always use more old school old farts. (It takes the pressure off Timgud. Twisted Evil ) 181freak good to hear from you. No one's gonna bash you for slammin' your thing... the "intolerant purists" forum is down the hall, on the left.

Now, the colour.... that may buy you some mild ribbing! Twisted Evil

2%
not a tony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted a Thing, and about two weeks ago I finally got one. It's a '74 Acupulco and it's going to be a father/son project. The pan is shot and the front seats aren't original, but the rest of it seems to be there. You can even see the original striped upholstery under the black vinyl someone put on the back seats. So, is an Acupulco worth more or less than a normal Thing or what?
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially, that car is worth whatever the next buyer pays for it. Unofficially, the Acapulco theme is great if you like the way it looks, the blue and white stripes and all. Not my thing, but I try to keep an open mind.

You will love owning a Thing. Welcome!
MNThingGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there room for one more??

My husband is actually the big VW person of the family. But one day I mentioned in passing that I've always like Things.... So this is what you get a girl for her brithday?!? I just think it was an excuse for him to buy another VW. But it doesn't bother me any.... I'm still the primary driver!
It's pumpkin orange and a '73. I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like because we only get about 3 months of good convertable weather up here. Probably take it off the stands next weekend though! Very Happy
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always room for one more. welcome aboard.

2%
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 30

Jump to: