Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your husband sounds like a smart man, he got something for you that he can work on and spend alot on guilt free. Sounds better than getting power tools! LOL Seriously though, welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babyhummer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, Girl from S.C. checking in. Just got my THING back the other dayfrom the shop and I absolutley love it. I sold a show worthy Ghia to purchase the THING and every person I knew thought I was crazy, well it's the best decision I have ever made Very Happy . I dont' know much about this particular VW but I am learning, and fixin to have lots of fun with the boys. bye ya'll
Old and Grey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
My names Lee I just picked up a 74 last month from my departing Boss. It's a Kick..
This is my 3rd Vw. Bought my fist car from a dealer in76 it was a 67 Kombi..Loved it..have had a 69 Blue Baja for the last 3yrs. and picked up the Thing about a month ago. My old Boss and I used to take his Thing and my Baja out in the Desert with the kids, but have been to busy the last 2 yrs. He transfered back east and I Just had to GRAB IT before anyone else found out....DROP THE TOP,WINDSHIELD,DOORS, Throw in the DOGS and hit the trails..
I think I have the Only Thing between Reno and Salt Lake
Orange..Soon to be Desert Camo.. Very Happy
Great Form
Thanks
Joanna Lau Jaime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Hello from Hong Kong ! Reply with quote

Hello Very Happy ,

My name is Ramon and my wife's name is Joanna. We are from the Philippines but we are now spending a lot of time here in Hong Kong as we are now working on the CLUB BEETLE of H.K. a premiums business that we set up here in Hong Kong.

We have had the opportunity to buy a German type 181 last year in Manila, Philippines Cool .

My friends, My wife and I really worked hard to clean the Thing and get it fixed to run. We really had a blast running it one night with the windshield and the top down.

It is now in the process of a full restoration in Manila and I cannot wait for the Thing to be finished, so we can get to enjoy driving it again ! Wink

Last edited by Joanna Lau Jaime on Tue May 04, 2004 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swampseller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: My Thing Herd Reply with quote

From the left,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 all original 29Kmiles (to be perfected for show), '73 overloved(with paint) but solid (currently for sale on SAMBA classifieds), '73 chopped to 2 door and lifted freakshow that I drive almost daily. Great for towing behind my Navigator as a spare! I love collector cars, and have 5 antique Jags, but VW Things can't be beat for history, utility, rarity and (most important) lovability. Have you noticed that Thing owners are rarely jerks? It's just one Thing after another...
Targus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey swampseller,
I'd love to see a side wiew of your 2 door Thing.
Sounds like a pretty cool setup! Smile
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Aloha Reply with quote

Just picked up a 73 last week and I'm enjoying the ride... but it's even more fun when I hear "Can I go for a ride in it". Lottsa plans for it, the first is to make that green go away Embarassed ...doors , engine lid and hood got primered yesterday. It sits pretty next to my 65 Kombi Very Happy The bus gets a face lift over the summer so I needed a driver...been looking for a long time for a drivable Thing on this rock and now "I get" Smile When the bus comes back to life the Thing will get the works....

When do we say when??? Wink

Aloha,
Doug

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello thingers,

my name is scott lyons and i live in toronto, canada. i know brian jones (our moderator) from the VW scene here in ontario. (hey brian, what's up?) i never knew much about the forums here at thesamba until recently.

my family has two VW's, a '79 westfalia and a '74 thing. the thing has been restored and has been put on the road very recently, just a few weeks ago, after over two years of work. i made a website for the project, which i tried to keep up to date over the time i spent on the car. i bought and restored the car for my wife to drive in the summer and she loves it, as do my children. they get to go to and from school in the coolest car. i just added some new photos of the car as it is today.

http://homepage.mac.com/punkinfair/'74_VW_Thing

i also run a website selling VW parts, germansupply.com.

i look forward to hanging out here at this forum, it is a good one!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, scott! good to see you (finally) show up!
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
vwkombi1966
Padawon Learner

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everybody! my name's dave. i have been into VW's for about 5 or so years. in order, i've owned:
- 1971 micro bus
- 1963 karmann ghia type 141 (coupe)
- 1966 kombi Cool
- 1967 beetle (coupe)
i've owned a few VW's, i even got the split bus i've ALWAYS wanted (only have the 66 kombi now)! but the "thing" of my dreams still remains elusive! :scatter: i'm a newbie to type 181, but i love the style (so ugly they're BEAUTIFUL!! Drool ), and love how unique they are! i hope that a few of you would help a "new guy" out a little, and drop a little knowledge on me! Rolling Eyes i'm not QUITE in the market for a new thing YET, but i will be SOON! Twisted Evil i'm just waiting to finish up with a few bills that restoring my bus created! and, i'd like to do a little "homework" on type 181's before i just toss a coupple thousand dollars around! Think shortly after, i'll be on the prowl for my 1st type 181! is ther any pointers that i should pay spacific attension to when looking for a thing? i'm sure the usual VW stuff (battery tray, body pans, ect. ect.) but, i'm not too sure about the spacifics of 181's! i know that they were imported here for two years, and that 74's have "ear muffs" (i like the way they look), but what else? thanx to all for any help, and i look forward to hanging out here too!

- 1968 Squareback (Scarlett)
- 1969 Westy
181 Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops.... sorry about that. Real message shortly...

Last edited by 181 Gears on Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
181 Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: The Southeast Answers The Roll Call. Reply with quote

Hello everyone. First of all, The Samba rocks. This is THE place for all things Volkswagen. It's really great that we have this level of community interest for our passion.

You guys started the roll call and I'm answering. I believe the first shape I saw when I was little was the VW Beetle. I've been hooked ever since.

I've posted some photos of my 1973 Thing. This was my first vehicle at age 15. Now at 28 I dig it more than ever. My father and I were lucky to have found it in such great condition. No rust -- all original parts. There aren't many of these without rust in eastern North Carolina. I'm the third owner.

About 5 years ago I rebuilt the engine (stock 1600cc) upgraded shocks (KYB), rims (15" spun aluminum Centerlines), tires (205/75 R15 Duelers), replaced the side curtains, and reupholstered the seats. The summer of '97 was spent taking the vehicle apart, sanding, priming and painting (metal flake blue). Two major factors that drove the DIY job - 1) It's a great feeling to work on your own vehicle; hopefully learning something new. In my case, bodywork. I have much respect for those who can do it well as it is quite an art. 2) Budget. Things can eat up quite the savings as the room for upgrades / restoration can be expensive. Most recent items added (not reflected in photos) are a S&S Header/Exhaust system and a not-too-fancy Pioneer stereo system.

Thanks for the opportunity to share my vehicle and ramblings! Take care and send some thoughts as I dig opinions/critique.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nawie181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
My name is Paul and I have lurked here for a while and have finally decided to answer the roll call. Here is a picture of my '73. This is my 3rd VW and second Thing. I've had it for over 5 years now and have gone over it pretty good. Luckily it was relatively rust free when I stole it from the unknowing previous owner for $450. (With a non-rusted, unbent top frame even!) I learned from past VW mistakes and have done pretty well with this current car. There is no better feeling than driving around on a hot summer night with the top down and doors off while being serenaded by the 1641cc symphony!

I have personally gone over almost every square inch possible on this car, and it is an almost daily driver for a majority of the year. I haven't gotten the heater working yet, but I hope to by this winter. I sent it to Ark Mirvis, but couldn't afford his $450 fee at the time so I wear many layers and use the hard top and Thing Shop glass windows well into November.

This site is a great resource for Things on the web! I love coming here and reading what other people have to say about these quirky cars. Well anyway thanks for reading my ramblings.

Paul

istewart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. My name is Ian. I am from California. I have a yellow '73 Thing that has been in the family since 1976. It was towed behind my grandfather's ex-motorhome for quite a while, and eventually ended up being garaged and taken out for show since it's the rarest one we have next to the 1960 double-cab. It needs a little bodywork and some paint (and perhaps a proper rollbar) but other than that I like it. I may take it to the Deustch Stahl show in Lodi in September.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
thingchick
Samba Member

Location: me or my vw? I'm in Japan, my Thing's in Canada....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mina-san, Konnichiwa! (Hello Everyone)

I'm a VW girl from Northern Alberta and long time owner of a '74 181. I'm currently in Japan trying to accumulate enough yen to give my baby a much needed resto when I get home.

I acquired my Thing from my father when I was 18 - it was purchased by my father's dealership and used as a shop car for years. Once in a while he would drive it home and take us for a spin -it was a nice change from the puke-green '73 bay window that we were usually carted around in Confused . It wasn't as fun however in the dead of winter when the seats were rock hard and we had to dress with extra layers just to guard us from the freezing drafts coming in from the oh-so-form-fitting doors. A gas heater had been installed, but that only meant that we had to avoid melting our boots on the one spot that emitted heat from under the back seat d'oh!.

Eventually the car was parked - everthing, from fenders to the gearshift, was dismantled and left piled in the back seat for years Brick wall . When I was old enough to start thinking about cars I negotiated a deal with my father - if I put in a designated amount of hours at the shop the car was mine...DONE! Dancing

Now, many years and many kilometers (miles Wink ) later, and despite the abuse she's taken from people who are jealous that they don't own a car as cool as mine (stolen emblems, slashed top), she is still my one and only and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

I can't wait to get home and get her on the road again! I miss the sound of an air-cooled engine.....
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, everyone!
thingchick, good to see another canadian around here...and a woman to boot. (alright, that fulfills two minority quotas!)
ian, nawie, jake, kombi, nice rides! nice contributions too!
Keep the questions, comments and good advice coming.
Alone, we can do our own Thing.
Together their ain't no Thing we can't do!
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
MonsterThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: i was destined to have a Thing... Reply with quote

the first car i ever bought/owned was an orange '74 Thing. after i'd had if for a year or two, my dad went and bought a grey one of his own. i eventually sold mine to him and got out of the VW scene for a few years. then, a few years ago my dad passed away, so i now have his grey thing. he really wanted to fix it up, so in memory of him, that's what i'm doing. as most of you know, it's a slow process (especially for a full time college student) but i'm having a blast along the way. Smile

1974 Lifted Thing
2003 Lowered Hemi Ram 1500
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my '73 Thing two years ago. Previous owner had it for ten years to tow behind his motorhome. In ten years he had put less than 8k on it. Had new paint (original yellow) ran, relatively rust free, all parts but needed some attention. Rebuilt the brake system, new top,added TS show bar, new shocks, new OEM type distributor, tires and wheels. I love it. Winter project is to R&R the gas heater.....I never tried it for fear of blowing myself up. I am retired and do the work myself. Only problem is I only know of a single other Thing owner in my area (central SC) and it is a pain to have to mail order everything. Shipping kills me. You folks in the west are fortunate to have ready access to parts and places where you can go and see them before they show up FedEx. I will post a picture of my car if I can find out how to. Computer talk leaves me numb. Thanks ,Bill
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a digital of mine up...
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: another Thing - or, at least, most of one Reply with quote

My name is Jim Ulmer from just west of Denver and I usually go by Big Jim. I bought a '74 Thing a year or two ago from just west of Chicago. A previous owner had cut it down to a 2 seat roadster. It sat in the back yard for a while. All we had done was to completely replace the brake system except drums. This summer, we got it running, converted to an alternator, and added some chrome sheet metal. The seats were shot so I replaced then with a set from a late model Chevy pickup with integral seat belts and sholder harnesses. Since it has already seen subatantial modification, I wasn't too worried about American seats. We've got a lot of projects going but the Thing will receive perodic attention. We will eventually use it as a toad behind the '77 Motorhome I'm currently refurbishing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: