Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Just purchased a 1974 Thing. White. Seems solid. Need to find a good mechanic in the Delray Beach, FL area who can remedy the racing idle (I don't even need to press the accelerator to run in 3rd gear), shifter won't go into 2nd gear, dash instruments (haha: speedometer, fuel gauge, turn signal indicator) not functioning, oil leak, etc. Bought it on a whim and can't work on it myself at my condo (association rules). Got bit by the VW bug (sorry) and bought a 1978 Beetle too. If anyone has a shop they can recommend, I'd appreciate the tip. Thanks.
Jack Ketch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

New Thing owner bought from a forum member. Had 2 Vanagons but complete FNG for type 181s and air cooled.
Look forward to asking asking basic questions and being told to use the search function.
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

My first car was a '68 Bug, and I have been around the german cars forever. I am currently a parts manager at a Boston area VW dealership. I had a Porsche 914 for the last 18 years, but it was a driver, and even though I had it on a rotisserie and cut out the floors and longitudinals, I left an old paint job on it so I could just drive it....the hassle I took from other owners and just general people wondering when I was going to take care of it, rally started to take all the fun out of it. My cars goes driven, not trailered. So I sold it....

And took a long hard look for something else....something fun, something we all could go out in, and have a laugh or two. A car that didn't take itself so seriously (or, that the public took so seriously either).....I found this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'73, one owner. The story I got was that the owner decided to paint, got it home, and then passed away soon ater. The family let it sit for 5 years, then contacted a friend to clean it up and get it running. He did a tune up, adjusted the valves and did front shoes I'm told. He also washed it and took these pictures:

So...I bought it Friday. I contacted a transport company, and they picked it up yesterday and delivery is scheduled for Tuesday morning...

I'll let you guys know how it all goes...I can't wait. It's going to be a whole different experience from the last 18 years, I'm sure

Eric
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Eric, I also just bought a Thing. Dancing
Mine is a 74 and is also orange.
Photos when I get it home later this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Got her home today.

\
She's already up on the hoist. I wasn't planning on any major upgrades this Spring/Summer, but the tranny needs a rebuild, so I'll pull the engine/tranny next week and send the tranny off for a rebuild.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Aloha,
New Thing owners here. Wife said she always wanted one, so I found this one on C-list in San Diego and the seller was willing to deliver it to the port for shipping to Honolulu.
Just got 'er home, so here she is, next to Gran's '57 T-bird in the carport.
So fun! Yes, there's a list of things to do, but she's a runner in mostly unmolested condition.

Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

I've been reading this site for a few years now. My wife's first car was a 73 out of a barn on an island in Lake Erie and I always wanted one. I took the plunge two years ago and bought a '74 from a classified I found on here. Originally yellow, painted orange at some point along the way.

Happily living in my garage now in northern Ohio!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

New owner here after my wife realized the Thing was her dream car. Aggie happened to be passing through with one and it just fell in our laps.

Now to learn all things about maintaining lovely old cars, let alone a VW...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Jump to:
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: