Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randiego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop Reply with quote

I'm in San Diego, and now that my little ones are older it's time to hit the road. I'm in the market for the best roof rack system for my '89 Weekender.

Here are my needs:
- will be carrying surfboards (#1 need)
- can be modified or altered to take a basket or rooftop pod for gear

I'd love to hear your experiences on what has worked best for you!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakima and Thule are both a no-brainer. Lots of offerings at any dealer or on-line. If you are budget challenged, there are some home grown solutions documented here, or find used. Any rack system for a commercial van will also fit the Vanagon gutter. Start with a web site that will find a rack using your car model info.

http://www.yakima.com/fit/Information
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thule 387 towers and long bars for a tintop.
I like the Yakima stuff but their high tower solution looks like an afterthought. I think the Yakima bars are stiffer though. So if you are going to put up a lot of weight, Yakima. I've got both brands, Thule on the Syncro and Yak on the Westy so have first hand knowledge.

From there, an enclosed roof box or something like the MOAB (mother of all baskets, what a great name) basket and you are set. The baskets look sweet on a tintop but never seemed very practical for what I usually carry.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is right in your area: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/4945995632.html
randiego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
This is right in your area: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/4945995632.html

Wow, many thanks, I appreciate all the responses. I was really hoping to avoid paying full-boat on GoWesty or where ever, so I'm off to a good start.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my solution. 1A yak towers with the high rise kits cut in half. I sourced new bolts and assembled them to be 1 1/2 inch shorter than the full rise. The bars are 3/4 pipe from Home Depot cut at 60inches or 5 foot(no threads). The basket is a mega warrior with 2 extentions. I have a third that will be mounted up this weekend to fully extend it onto the two forward bars that will house the 100watt solar panel and the 51 inch curved led bar. I picked up all of the towers , basket and 2 of the extentions used....just took awhile. The used box was $125 and is the longer rocket box model. We stack SUP boards on the left and the bo x holds the chairs, mat, ez up and portable shower system. Works great!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Heres my solution. 1A yak towers with the high rise kits cut in half. I sourced new bolts and assembled them to be 1 1/2 inch shorter than the full rise.

What did you do about the rivets?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cross shaft that holds the lock foot is riveted through horizontally. I ground off the pressed rivet end and installed a phillips head 1/8 x 24 two and a half inch long bolt with a nut , tightened, cut flush then spot welded it. Could also use a nylock.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Heres my solution. 1A yak towers with the high rise kits cut in half. I sourced new bolts and assembled them to be 1 1/2 inch shorter than the full rise. The bars are 3/4 pipe from Home Depot cut at 60inches or 5 foot(no threads). The basket is a mega warrior with 2 extentions. I have a third that will be mounted up this weekend to fully extend it onto the two forward bars that will house the 100watt solar panel and the 51 inch curved led bar. I picked up all of the towers , basket and 2 of the extentions used....just took awhile. The used box was $125 and is the longer rocket box model. We stack SUP boards on the left and the bo x holds the chairs, mat, ez up and portable shower system. Works great!

It appears to me from your photos that if you went with 78" bars that you could probably put that Yak box next to your rack instead of in it. This may require overhanging the mounts, but that's no big deal. It would be an enormous space gain. FWIW... 78" bars don't stick out past your mirrors. My huge Thule box and 34" wide SUP boards fit side by side no problem on 78" bars.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comments so far. I'll just add that if you're looking for the "best" you should look at Packasport boxes. Stronger, easier to open/close and better looking than the Yakima/Thule boxes (which are pretty flimsy and awkward relative to the rest of their product lines).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

""It appears to me from your photos that if you went with 78" bars that you could probably put that Yak box next to your rack instead of in it. This may require overhanging the mounts, but that's no big deal. It would be an enormous space gain. FWIW... 78" bars don't stick out past your mirrors. My huge Thule box and 34" wide SUP boards fit side by side no problem on 78" bars."""

Yes, but getting to our favorite campsite with the rutty off camber trail would rip the rack from the van. If it was a freeway surfing asphalt campground mall cruiser, having wider bars would be great! As it is now, the branches push against the box and my wife has to pull her mirror flat in a couple spots. Here in the North Wet, trails are tight in spots. Nothing like the Moab or SoCal area with the wide open deserts. We have the Eastern desert areas but find the shade of the tall trees or the sound of the crashing waves more comfortable than the hot and dusty open high deserts. The bars on it now are 60. 78s would land 9 inches further out than they are now. Would love to lay the sups flat, but dont want to swap 6 bars to hit the woods.

Last edited by newfisher on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we frequent and prefer similar places Cool .
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packasports made in Eugene! +1 buy local....to me Wink
They are fiberglass, paintable and very well built. There is one on the local craigslist, but too wide to do what we need it to do.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Sounds like we frequent and prefer similar places Cool .

Shhh , no sharing
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop Reply with quote

Hi Yall,
Can someone out there send me a pick of their Tinton with both a skybox and a load warrior sitting next to each other?

I have an 84' Tintop with the 1A towers with the 2" risers and 66" length crossbars and I would like both the storage with the Skybox 12 and the cary capacity with the Loadwarrior. So I think the skybox dims are 24" wide and the Loadwarrior is 39" wide so will this work?
Cheers, RC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop Reply with quote

Here are some photos of a Skybox 18 on my pop-top on 66" bars. I narrowed the load warrior by about 9". The open basket is nice to toss stuff in, the box is nice to keep things clean and dry.

FWIW...

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop Reply with quote

What did you do to narrow it......just cut it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop Reply with quote

So your Skybox 18 is approximately 36" with the cut loadwarrior down to 30" totalling 66". So my setup of the Skybox 12 at 24" wide and an uncut Loadwarrior at 39" wide totals 63" so should work fine also calculating some space between to open the skybox?

Thots?

Cheers,
RC
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:
What did you do to narrow it......just cut it?

Cut it in the pattern seen in the photo, inserted steel and wood dowels, screwed it together. The seams were covered in heat shrink tubing.

You'd need about 3" between the two so it'd be about as wide as the bars which are wider than the top of the van. It may look a bit top heavy but you'd have plenty of room for gear.

I recommend a ladder:
http://www.gowesty.com/product/ladder-step-stool/24414/telescopic-ladder-

Abscate wrote:

robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Roof Rack/Storage Options for Tintop Reply with quote

I don't really want to cut so wanting to know if anyone else out there has the same system as I describe with the Skybox 12 and the Loadwarrior on the 66" bar???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: