Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What out of the ordinary cars did you see today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
225 slant-6

Aaahhh. The leaning tower of power.

An engine I found out decades ago that is virtually indestructible. As a kid I worked in a machine shop and the shop truck was a '55 Chevy Apache. It leaked a lot of oil so we used cutting oil to fill the sump. Vegetable based oil. Kind of like glorified Crisco. That sumbitch would not die. Foot starter and all... I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's still running around out there somewhere. Wink
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Whoa, a 225 Plymouth slant 6 in a Chevy '55 Apache!!! Those guys were pretty creative! You must have seen some terrific adaptations.

PS: I saw that Stoddard has new 356 fuel pump bell covers at a very reasonable price. I remember yours had a crack...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

I didn't have a camera and I can't find a linkable pic on the interwebs, but I parked next to a Mercedes AMG GT-R in red with black rally stripes today. An extremely striking car that exuded all of it's pricetag and more, it screamed "look at me!". After the tubby balding older guy walked out of the bank and poured himself into it (not gracefully I might add) it sounded as good as it looked. Never even knew they existed until today, interesting diversion from the usual Italian and British supercars I usually see in the "upscale" part of town.

http://autoweek.com/article/supercars/2018-mercedes-amg-gt-r-your-577-hp-german-missile

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

So I'm out cruising around in rural areas as I do sometimes on a lazy Sunday afternoon and this thing comes into sight. I turned around and got a better look at first I thought it was a homemade pickup truck but it's too well done and I'm thinking it's really a hearse that's been fashioned into a truck. Whatever it's massive and it gets attention, it got mine and it's for sale too. Asking around 3 but I bet they'd take less.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Looks like a funeral "flower car."

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Looks like a funeral "flower car."

I thought so too but after looking at it further, the flower cars didn't have rear doors, the rear of the roof/cabs had a much more "finished" look as did the tailgates. I'm pretty sure this was a hacked hearse.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Flower cars often still have the rear doors.

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

I saw one of these last Friday. BMW 2002 Targa. Not this one, but a red one in great condition. I never knew they made these. First one I have ever seen.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Baur Cool
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karosserie_Baur
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Went to a friends new shop to see his all original Ford 32"A" original paint & interior, and to see his new Porsche Cayman. Talk about diversity. He's the guy that was always in Hot VW's in the 80's with the huge collection of VW's. The pair of 65 beetles with less than 5K on them and also his Heb's were a stand out and were in the magazine as well as the collection they showcased. If it was rare or low miles he collected them.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

On my way up north this morning, I actually saw a dark blue VW beetle on the freeway in Phoenix - pretty rare these days !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Whoa, a 225 Plymouth slant 6 in a Chevy '55 Apache!!! Those guys were pretty creative! You must have seen some terrific adaptations.

PS: I saw that Stoddard has new 356 fuel pump bell covers at a very reasonable price. I remember yours had a crack...

OK, Jack, it must have been a 235. You're talking 40+ years ago, I'm lucky to remember stuff from yesterday--just ask my wife. Thanks for the line on the cover--I fixed mine by finding an o-ring and flat washer--11 months so far and no leaks.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Had one of these in my driveway for a few days back in August. Got to take it for an evening spin. 50-105 and back to 50 happens unbelievably quickly. The loud button on the console makes it that much better. Cool

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

I saw an Acura NSX today but I don't know if that qualifies.

I guess it's a 1991 model? Not sure but it seemed hard to find an NSX photo that matched online:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Of course it counts and so does cusser's dark blue beetle. Today I saw a 73-74 Orange Ghia on the freeway. Old man was cruzin at 80mph.
Unless you are heading to a VW show you don't see the old Air Cooled cars on the road.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Fish wrote:

Unless you are heading to a VW show you don't see the old Air Cooled cars on the road.

This is true. I do see the air cooled VW come out of hibernation this time of year in Phoenix. The weather finally cools off enough to drive them w/out air conditioning.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Had one of these in my driveway for a few days back in August. Got to take it for an evening spin. 50-105 and back to 50 happens unbelievably quickly. The loud button on the console makes it that much better. Cool

That is one sexy beast.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Kind of cool... kind of creepy Laughing

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
225 slant-6

An engine I found out decades ago that is virtually indestructible.

Yes, "virtually" but not "absolutely."

The only time I saw one die was, coincidentally, the only time my Fastback has quit running in it's 47 year life, some time around 1975 or so.

Clementine had quit on US-101 near Nipomo due to a faulty set of Bosch points. The rubbing block broke, and we waited for a tow (no spares... never go anywhere without them now!)

While we were waiting, an early 1960s Valiant comes smoking to the same spot on the side of the road as we were, full of ladies coming home from church. As they came to a stop, the engine let out a shriek for about half a second, and then fell silent, save for the hissing of steam and smoke coming out from under the hood.

We told the tow truck driver to please take care of them first and come back for us; it was only a few miles the local VW dealer anyway.

He asked them what happened, and they said they didn't know. After it cooled a bit, he opened the hood, and it felt like a giant heater-- standing 10 feet away I thought I would get a tan, or at least a broiling, from the radiated heat! He checked the oil. Nothing, nada, zip.

He asked them if they had a light come on, and she said yes. He politely asked why they kept driving, and she answered, "Well, it wasn't blinking, so I didn't think it was important."

Now before you judge her, realize that the old De Sotos used to have a blinking oil light and that's what she drove all her life before the Valiant.

She asked if the tow driver thought it was serious, and he answered, "Yes, new engine serious." It had probably fused the rings or bearings and wouldn't budge at all.

So they CAN be broken, but it takes about 15 minutes of driving without any oil in it to do it!

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
225 slant-6

An engine I found out decades ago that is virtually indestructible.

Yes, "virtually" but not "absolutely."

The only time I saw one die was, coincidentally, the only time my Fastback has quit running in it's 47 year life, some time around 1975 or so.

Clementine had quit on US-101 near Nipomo due to a faulty set of Bosch points. The rubbing block broke, and we waited for a tow (no spares... never go anywhere without them now!)

While we were waiting, an early 1960s Valiant comes smoking to the same spot on the side of the road as we were, full of ladies coming home from church. As they came to a stop, the engine let out a shriek for about half a second, and then fell silent, save for the hissing of steam and smoke coming out form under the hood.

We told the tow truck driver to please take care of them first and come back for us; it was only a few miles the local VW dealer anyway.

He asked them what happened, and they said they didn't know. After it cooled a bit, he opened the hood, and it felt like a giant heater-- standing 10 feet away I thought I would get a tan, or at least a broiling, from the radiated heat! He checked the oil. Nothing, nada, zip.

He asked them if they had a light come on, and she said yes. He politely asked why they kept driving, and she answered, "Well, it wasn't blinking, so I didn't think it was important."

Now before you judge her, realize that the old De Sotos used to have a blinking oil light and that's what she drove all her life before the Valiant.

She asked if the tow driver thought it was serious, and he answered, "Yes, new engine serious." It had probably fused the rings or bearings and wouldn't budge at all.

So they CAN be broken, but it takes about 15 minutes of driving without any oil in it to do it!

They should have had a spare bottle of Wesson oil in the trunk. They would have been just fine. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 63

Jump to: