Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Title for 56 rag top
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keepin it stock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Title for 56 rag top Reply with quote

I'm looking for a title for a 56 rag. I have access to a 56 with a donor 56. I would like to restore the rag top for our son. It would be a shame to have both cars go the way of the butcher, but my buddy doesn't have a title to either car and that's what he's thinking about doing to both cars. Are there any sources in samba land for a title? Anyone sitting on a title? A beat up pan with a title?
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are an endless number of topics about titles.

Here is a link to a search for "lost title":

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?cx=partner-p...;sa=Search

I have had this problem a few times. Used Broadway one time but from the threads i've read that isn't the best route to go anymore. Seems that the best way now if the Maine registration.

Were they lasted titled to your buddy? If so he should be able to just file for a lost title. That has always worked for me. I recently bought a 64 from a guy in NC without a title and hadn't been registered in the past 25 years. He was the last registered owner and filed for a lost title and it came 6 weeks later.

Most DMVs purge there records every so often though. I have been trying to get a new title for my fathers 1968 Firebird that parked in the 80s and lost the title to but the DMV can't find the records and don't seem to want to help me get a new one too much.

I think if you don't care to go through the hassle of getting a title then you can get a pretty good deal on a car with no title since that seems to scare of alot of buyers.

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Title for 56 rag top Reply with quote

keepin it stock wrote:
I'm looking for a title for a 56 rag. Are there any sources in samba land for a title?

Have you checked with your motor vehicle department???

I just got my "new" 1962 Bug titled last Monday at D.M.V.
Seller gave me nothing more then a handwritten receipt on plain paper . . . no title and the car was missing the license plates!
As Draginwagen says, mine had "fallen out of the system" and D.M.V. had NO record of the car . . . but it does now! Cool
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utah DMV seems to have pretty clear cut method for dealing with old cars without titles provided everything is on the up and up. Read their instructions.
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Title for 56 rag top Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
keepin it stock wrote:
I'm looking for a title for a 56 rag. Are there any sources in samba land for a title?

Have you checked with your motor vehicle department???

I just got my "new" 1962 Bug titled last Monday at D.M.V.
Seller gave me nothing more then a handwritten receipt on plain paper . . . no title and the car was missing the license plates!
As Draginwagen says, mine had "fallen out of the system" and D.M.V. had NO record of the car . . . but it does now! Cool

Works for states that do not have titles for older cars... Though most will want an old registration...

Notes:

Run the VIN first. I've seen recoveries of cars/cycles stolen in the 60's.

Greater $ = greater cost.

$ - Some states do not have titles for older cars - registration only. If you can produce old registration & BOS from these states your good to go & local DMV.
$ - If original owner, can apply for lost/destroyed titles from registered state.
$$- Bonded title, rebuilt, salvage (read DMV rules)
$$- Specialty company that generate titles for you (via one of the means I've listed). (I've had bad experience this way)
$$$- BOS only, register in state that does not require state inspection (must have VIN inspection from inspection station or state troopers in your state). Must pay state sales tax on DMV BB high value.

Of course you can buy a title & plate from someone or buy a scrap car with title.

Maybe local craigs list add? Post finders fee at metal yard?
1974 Thing (US specs - Mexicanos)
2008 Rabbit S (Wolfsburg DE)
2012 Golf TDI Tech Package (Wolfsburg DE)
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Title for 56 rag top Reply with quote

xeno wrote:
Of course you can buy a title & plate from someone or buy a scrap car with title.

Wouldn't that be illegal?

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Title for 56 rag top Reply with quote

draginwagen wrote:
xeno wrote:

Wouldn't that be illegal?

You can buy titles & VIN all day long. Fixing them to a car, well yea, that is illegal.

ANY tampering with VIN plate or stampings is illegal...But he did not ask about the legality of it?

Not legal:

Pop rivits and below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only legal rivits:

1974 Thing (US specs - Mexicanos)
2008 Rabbit S (Wolfsburg DE)
2012 Golf TDI Tech Package (Wolfsburg DE)
Nurseben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Title for 56 rag top Reply with quote

keepin it stock wrote:
I'm looking for a title for a 56 rag. I have access to a 56 with a donor 56. I would like to restore the rag top for our son. It would be a shame to have both cars go the way of the butcher, but my buddy doesn't have a title to either car and that's what he's thinking about doing to both cars. Are there any sources in samba land for a title? Anyone sitting on a title? A beat up pan with a title?

I purchased a 1963 Chevy pick up last year with no title, only bill of sale. You need a lost title form from the DMV (I believe its online) and then call Bountiful PD to come to your house to verify the VIN. Then take that to the DMV in Farmington and wait for your new title to arrive in the mail!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my blog www.benboyle.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: