Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

Hey does anyone have a good diagram for the 81 air-cooled Vanagon fuse panel? I've searched the forum, Google, and the Bentley to no avail. I recall someone pointing out the actual fuse diagram being located in an odd place in the Bentley and not in the normal wiring diagram. I have a mystery white wire unhooked in the rear and have been blowing the blower fuse and want to be sure the correct fuse is in that position.

Thanks!
ktr-sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White can be power supply to the S6-S5 bridge, or from the S5 connector to the left high beam. Any trouble with your lights?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I'll check the rear of the fuses today when I get home. My brights have been working fine, so we'll see what turns up after I get a good look back there.

Thanks again for the picture and diagram!
afairhurst07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

Hi,

Hoping to re-open this thread as I am also having difficulty with my 81' fuse board!

Aiming to fit the GoWesty GPS speedo to my 1981 Air Cooled Vanagon. The fuse board is a bit of a mess as the previous owned tried to install a high power HiFi system but didn't finish the job.

When dropping the fuse board, a thick red wire attached to lower side of pin 9 based on this diagram:

(https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/headlight-relays/80to85/80-85-fuse-block)

has come loose, which seems to provide all power to the fuse board. I haven't been able to make sense of the diagram or why this wire coming out would cut all power.

Hoping someone might be able to explain if this wire is designed to be on pin 9 and a possible fix without hot solder/replacing the fuse board?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

afairhurst07 wrote:
Hi,

Hoping to re-open this thread as I am also having difficulty with my 81' fuse board!

Aiming to fit the GoWesty GPS speedo to my 1981 Air Cooled Vanagon. The fuse board is a bit of a mess as the previous owned tried to install a high power HiFi system but didn't finish the job.

When dropping the fuse board, a thick red wire attached to lower side of pin 9 based on this diagram:

(https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/headlight-relays/80to85/80-85-fuse-block)

has come loose, which seems to provide all power to the fuse board. I haven't been able to make sense of the diagram or why this wire coming out would cut all power.

Hoping someone might be able to explain if this wire is designed to be on pin 9 and a possible fix without hot solder/replacing the fuse board?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers

Well if it cuts out all power and is a thick red wire, it's the main feed from the battery then....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

afairhurst07 wrote:

lower side of pin 9 based on this diagram:

I copied this (from your reference) here for ease.

As stated, lower pins are "line-power-input". Also note that 8 and 9 are bonded together.

In the technical section of TheSamba Technical - Wiring - Type 2 you will find on the section 1980-81 that there is 6 diagrams. On the fourth one you will find fuse S9. And with the ensemble of diagrams 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 you will be able to see that there is a 8 AWG red wire coming from the battery (Alika T3's main).

hope this helps

English is a second language to me
Italiancamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

I recently got a 1980 Westfalia with some wires mis-connected at the fuse block.
Ì bought the Bentley manual that tells where wires go.
Is there a simple list of what COLOR WIRE goes to each post on the fuse block?
A photo would greatly help. I’m an old grandma in over my head!

When fuse #5 is in place the headlight comes on even if switch in dash is off or even disconnected. I just need wire colors to verify everything is in its place.

pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

Italiancamper wrote:

A photo would greatly help.

Sadly it is not difficult but it is not a dumb process also. Because you don't know whom been there and what been done.

Be warn : You can put your truck on fire.

First, never assume that the factory diagrams matches your setup. But the link to the diagram given prior is a start. You just need to understand/learn how to read those diagrams. And that is not really difficult.

So, on the 3rd diagram, you can see that S3-S4-S5-S6 are related (or are supposed to be related) to the headlight setup. And people do like to play with their headlight setup (adding relays and stuff)

Among the 4 fuses, S5 look to be special (High Beam indicator light). It looks like S5 has/should have two 16 gauges (16 AWG) WHITE wires connected to it ( 1 up stream and 1 down stream --hurray for VW--- ) and one BLUE-with-a-WHITE-stripe 20 gauges (20 AWG).

In your case, the upstream 16 AWG white wire (supposed to) go to position 56a of the headlight dimmer flasher switch.

If the switch is disconnected and you still have power going to S5, you will need to use your multimeter to makes sure which wire is which and that nothing is short.

Italiancamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

This is what the fuse panel looks like when I pulled it loose. Perhaps one of the modules is also in the wrong location. I’ve only on the van for a few weeks and I’m trying to make sense of this.

I’m just trying to figure out which color wire is supposed to go on each post of the fuse block. I’m presuming all the brown wires go to the ground tree.
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Vanagon Fuse Panel Diagram Reply with quote

Italiancamper wrote:

... figure out which color wire is supposed to go on each post of the fuse block...

well if your setup his still "factory" the diagram in your Bentley

note that the picture of your fuse box is seen "from the front" while the empty fuse box shown upper in the thread is seen "from the back" (if you prefere, your fuse S1 is to the left will the empty one is to the right). Anyway

DO NOT trust what I'm saying : use your multimeter

It looks like

the Bentley says this

A : Fuse S3 8 AMP with a 16 AWG Y Yellow wire going to the Left Headlight low filament

B : Fuse S4 8 AMP with a 16 AWG Y/BK Yellow-with-BlacK-stripe wire going to the Right Headlight low filament

C : Fuse S5 8 AMP with a 16 AWG W White wire going to the Left Headlight HighBeam filament + a 20 AWG BL/W BLue-with-White-stripe wire going to the position 56a of the HeadLight Dimmer Flasher Switch

and your picture says this

So looks like your Bentley can help you built your head up to YOUR setup. But one thing is sure, you hasve to understand wath your doing. Their is no quick shortcut. Do NOT put your truck on fire.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: