Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Doom Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

The mild winter in Alberta this year has me hoping for an early spring/summer so the buggies can come out and play.

Any update on your build?

Cheers,
CWAT
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
The mild winter in Alberta this year has me hoping for an early spring/summer so the buggies can come out and play.

Cheers,
CWAT

i will have one in a day or 2. i cut the spare tire well and started to re fiberglass the area. just havent got the pics posted yet

where you from CWAT
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Fort McMurray... Little further north...
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:

Cheers,
CWAT

heres a little update

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

in an effort to build some support for the rear seat/parcel area i cut out some of the "spare tire well. i am in the process of fiberglassing it match the battery box
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

so on my buggy it had a soft top and someone had installed a tone of snaps around the perimeter. i am not using those snaps so i have drilled them out. now i am left with a ton of little 3/16 holes.

what would the best way to fill them?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I just finished filling 132 holes in a body and now prepping for paint.

I use a burr bit, like what you would use to open up ports on a cylinder head, 1/4 inch shank, carbide fluted cutter, to go on each hole and not open up the diameter, but to fan out the hole, like a taper. This opens up new, fresh fiberglass.

Then mix up some resin with either Fumed Silica or Cabosil, (both the same thing, Cabosil is brand name. I but it off of ebay for about $ 32.00 delivered in a 1 pound tub. I have restored 7 buggy's on this one tub) into a paste about like peanut butter. Then add the resin hardner, mix and spread like bondo.

This Cabosil mix is glass and resin, just like the body. Does not shrink and expand like bndo. When I mix it up, I mix it in a tupperware style container that I can pull out the amount I want, seal up the rest for use later.

Once hardened, it sand just like fiberglass, but will last unlike bondo.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

thanks Joe
i am in Canada so i will look for similar materials here.
i was thinking about using a 3/4 drillbit with about a 120 combined angle and just touch it on the holes
sounds about the same idea as you
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

A large diameter 120* faced drill bit should work fine.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

so i got some stuff recomended by a body shop. its called micro fiber looks like bondo but is infused with tiny fibers. i am going to be using that to fill the holes
but here is a pic of what i got going on

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I like cabosil as a filler, it's easy to work with and you can get just the right consistency pretty easily. For filling bigger holes where you want a bit of structural strength, I like a mix of cabosil and milled glass fibers as filler. I always add the fibers to my resin mix first so they get fully wetted, then add cabosil to get the consistency you are looking for. Something about like mayonnaise seems to work pretty well. I've used 100% milled fibers as well, but found that with some cabosil in there, you can mix it thick enough that it won't sag out of holes on non-horizontal surfaces. A bit of clear packing tape on top of each repair can help with this as well. If using epoxy resin, warm the resin part gently in a hot water bath, or for a few seconds in the mircrowave. It will mix easier and wet out better. This step is not needed with polyester. With either one, mix thoroughly, but not so aggressively that you put air bubbles in the mix, which will leave tiny voids in your repair.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/pdf/filler/MilGlsFib.pdf
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

well i thought i would share some pic of the almoat completed fiberglassing project and hole filling detail

this next pic is the finished portion where the old filler tube came throu the hood. first i ground doen the back side to a taper then fiberglassed it form the backside with 4 layers of mat. then finished the top off with the mini fiber filler and sanded. looks good i think

and here is what the filled and sanded holes look like

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

and here is a picture of after i sanded the body, the metal flake was hidding the color. might just sand it all to get some color back and satin clear it. leaving all the filler exposed

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Looking good! My first buggy was that same color. Too bad mine had orange over it and I had to sand it off partially damaging the gel underneath.

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Looking good! My first buggy was that same color. Too bad mine had orange over it and I had to sand it off partially damaging the gel underneath.

thanks joe

i think the gel is gone but if i can get some color back up i might just leave it
i am on a tight budget and if i can spend money other places instead of paint for this year it would make me happy
KsM715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I just finished filling 132 holes in a body and now prepping for paint.

I use a burr bit, like what you would use to open up ports on a cylinder head, 1/4 inch shank, carbide fluted cutter, to go on each hole and not open up the diameter, but to fan out the hole, like a taper. This opens up new, fresh fiberglass.

Then mix up some resin with either Fumed Silica or Cabosil, (both the same thing, Cabosil is brand name. I but it off of ebay for about $ 32.00 delivered in a 1 pound tub. I have restored 7 buggy's on this one tub) into a paste about like peanut butter. Then add the resin hardner, mix and spread like bondo.

This Cabosil mix is glass and resin, just like the body. Does not shrink and expand like bndo. When I mix it up, I mix it in a tupperware style container that I can pull out the amount I want, seal up the rest for use later.

Once hardened, it sand just like fiberglass, but will last unlike bondo.

New to fiberglass toys and have my own project now, when using this for the small "snap" holes I assume you don't use any fiberglass mat. But when fixing larger holes such as gas filler necks, would you use this stuff as is or do you use glass mat and use this as the filler? Don't mean to hijack the thread, if you guys could point me int the direction of some good "fiberglass how to's" I'd appreciate it
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

KsM715 wrote:

New to fiberglass toys and have my own project now, when using this for the small "snap" holes I assume you don't use any fiberglass mat. But when fixing larger holes such as gas filler necks, would you use this stuff as is or do you use glass mat and use this as the filler? Don't mean to hijack the thread, if you guys could point me int the direction of some good "fiberglass how to's" I'd appreciate it

what i did was use the fiber glass mat for the larger holes, and from the back side the larger holes i ground down to a taper about twice to three times the area of the hole. then used multiple sections of mat to cover the hole each piece smaller then the one before. used lots of resin and had a tape backing

let it harden then filled from the front side with filler and sanded

dont be afraid to check out youtube as well. there is some good videos there too that i watched before i attempted anything
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
KsM715 wrote:

what i did was use the fiber glass mat for the larger holes, and from the back side the larger holes i ground down to a taper about twice to three times the area of the hole. then used multiple sections of mat to cover the hole each piece smaller then the one before. used lots of resin and had a tape backing

let it harden then filled from the front side with filler and sanded

dont be afraid to check out youtube as well. there is some good videos there too that i watched before i attempted anything

What he said.

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

just a few shots from the last work night on it

thought i would just mount my headlights to see what it will look like

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Well i think i have all the imperfection repaired in the body. ok i hope i do at the least
heres a pic of the inside where there was more snaps

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Also got my lights mounted front and rear

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: