Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Doom Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

That is the early style. Maybe pre '67. It has a set screw on the wiper arm that is tightened against the smooth shank to hold position.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
That is the early style. Maybe pre '67. It has a set screw on the wiper arm that is tightened against the smooth shank to hold position.

Thanks Joe
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

as i work on my buggy i have been getting closer to getting the engine back in. here lies the problem. i have about 5 different engines that i have used to get to one good one.
but i need to know what clutch to put in.i have looked with the search button under clutch with no help
i remember seeing something about old style new style clutch and release bearing
can anyone point me in the right direction please
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

The clutch has to match the transmission. Lets see what you have.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
The clutch has to match the transmission. Lets see what you have.

i dont have any pics right now
i will get some and post
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by cdnltded on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

You need to add a filler neck, whether its a stock one or aftermarket. That is just the threads in the tower to put the filler on. Look at your other motors and compare. Also it's a swing axle transaxle so unless yu have some rebuilt updated on, you need the clutch plate with the ring in the middle that the release bearing rides on.

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
You need to add a filler neck, whether its a stock one or aftermarket. That is just the threads in the tower to put the filler on. Look at your other motors and compare. Also it's a swing axle transaxle so unless yu have some rebuilt updated on, you need the clutch plate with the ring in the middle that the release bearing rides on.

brad

i was working on the motor tonight and figured out the filler neck. i fell like an idiot for asking now
as for the clutch i ill post pics of what i have
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

here is the clutch and release

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

so i have been scrounging parts for like 2 years and i think i have everything
but have questions now

what distrubertor is this and can i use it in this 1600 singe port

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Pincher Creek Alberta. You live in a beautiful area. I drove my buggy near you in June this year going to Alaska and back. Stayed 2 days in Lake Louise. Came down through Baniff and over through Calgary. What a great trip!

The Pressure plate you show and the transaxle/throw out bearing you show are the correct set.

That IS the distributor to use with a single port intake/carb. It will give you good advance as needed, when needed and give you the best fuel milage for that set up.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Pincher Creek Alberta. You live in a beautiful area. I drove my buggy near you in June this year going to Alaska and back. Stayed 2 days in Lake Louise. Came down through Baniff and over through Calgary. What a great trip!

The Pressure plate you show and the transaxle/throw out bearing you show are the correct set.

That IS the distributor to use with a single port intake/carb. It will give you good advance as needed, when needed and give you the best fuel milage for that set up.

thanks Joe

we do live in some nice county here, how was the wind when you were through. we are most famous for our wind

anyways i guess i should have asked what number or type is it. i am having a hard time finding a cap and rotor for it
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

one last question for now anyway

what do i need to run for tins.
i have the doghouse (of course)
the upper cylinder tins
the little one under the cylinders

what else??

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

When you say you have the doghouse...Do you mean that you have the fan shroud?

In aircooled VW engines, the term "doghouse" refers to the 1971 and later fan shroud with provision for the oil cooler on the transmission side of the fan shroud. as compared to the early style with the oil cooler standing straight up inside the fan shroud and blocking a lot of the airflow to the left side cylinders. the late style is called "doghouse" because the fan shroud has a smaller housing in the "back", as one would have a smaller house in the back yard of a home for the dog house.

Many folks get confused and refer to any fan shroud as "the doghouse".

The style of fan shroud shown is a 1950 style "36 horsepower" shroud. There are aftermarket companies that sell 36hp fan shrouds with the doghouse, but factory VW 36hp shrouds do NOT have a doghouse.

If you have a doghouse style 36hp shroud, then there are a few pieces of tin that go with that doghouse. Not all of those are needed for a fiberglass buggy.

Whichever shroud you have, it's good to have the thermostatically controlled flaps in the bottom of the shroud. You don't HAVE to have the thermostat and linkage, but if not, then fasten the flaps in the open position. They serve an important function in directing the airflow over the cylinders for efficient cooling.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
When you say you have the doghouse...Do you mean that you have the fan shroud?

In aircooled VW engines, the term "doghouse" refers to the 1971 and later fan shroud with provision for the oil cooler on the transmission side of the fan shroud. as compared to the early style with the oil cooler standing straight up inside the fan shroud and blocking a lot of the airflow to the left side cylinders. the late style is called "doghouse" because the fan shroud has a smaller housing in the "back", as one would have a smaller house in the back yard of a home for the dog house.

Many folks get confused and refer to any fan shroud as "the doghouse".

The style of fan shroud shown is a 1950 style "36 horsepower" shroud. There are aftermarket companies that sell 36hp fan shrouds with the doghouse, but factory VW 36hp shrouds do NOT have a doghouse.

If you have a doghouse style 36hp shroud, then there are a few pieces of tin that go with that doghouse. Not all of those are needed for a fiberglass buggy.

Whichever shroud you have, it's good to have the thermostatically controlled flaps in the bottom of the shroud. You don't HAVE to have the thermostat and linkage, but if not, then fasten the flaps in the open position. They serve an important function in directing the airflow over the cylinders for efficient cooling.

i stand corrected
thank you

yes it is just the fan shroud and the top cylinder tins and the little bottom cylinder tins. anything else i should run for tins???
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

ok so a couple more technical questions

i am going to be running a bosch 4R5 distrubutor with points
so do i need to change any of the internals of it to run 12 volts?
and what year of coil would be best matched??

thanks in advance
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

"thanks in advance"... on a distributer question...

Clever!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

so i got all that i needed almost
git the engine installed in the buggy. and me being me a could not try not to start it. well after some fiddling with the points i got it running. i only ran it for a few seconds since i had not belt on the alt.
but now i need an air cleaner. its only a pict 30 i have on there and feel for this engine and what i am doing with it it should be fine
what does everyone recommend for an air cleaner

and what size is the outer diameter of the throat. i was thinking of ordering one too but is a ten minute drive to my buggy and i don't have time to work on it till next week
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

can some of you show me pictures of your tube that comes from the frae to the fan shroud for the throttle cable. got these parts today and just cant figure it out
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: