Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Doom Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I was looking back over your build thread and about a year ago it looked like you had a 1600 single port with stock carb and distributor in the Buggy. Is that what you still have?

Did you rebuild it or was it a good runner you found?

Did you find all the tin bits needed to complete the cooling system? Thermostat?

Maybe I missed it all somewhere.

no you never missed anything

yes 1600 single stock everything
i got 2 blocks from a guy in calgary for a bottle of "GOOD" scotch
one was a recently rebuild 1600 single port which i took apart and put a new set of rings and bearings cause there was some water in it. the other block is a H5 block that needs a line and thrust cut

over th years i was trying to get a good motor which was about 6 differenty ones. i aquired lots of tin the one thats on the motor has no ducting for heater boxes so i choose to us that one, all other tin is in place.
no thermostat.

i havent drove it much just like 3 blocks so i am unsure of the longevity of it. this coming winter i am gonna try to build the H5 case to a real nice motor with new parts. even thou i know the H5 cases are propably the worse one to use but as long as i am not building a race engine it should fit the bill
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Those "H" cases pushed millions of Beetles down the road for hundreds of millions of miles.

In stockish form, they are OK and do very well.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Those "H" cases pushed millions of Beetles down the road for hundreds of millions of miles.

yeah i have figured that out by countless hours on the good old interweb.
i am thinking when i do get to it still stay single unless i fall into some dual heads. a mild cam, new balanced crank, new jugs and pistons, and full flow.
oh and of course casesavers
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

yeah i have figured that out by countless hours on the good old interweb.
i am thinking when i do get to it still stay single unless i fall into some dual heads. a mild cam, new balanced crank, new jugs and pistons, and full flow.
oh and of course casesavers

If you case saver it, full flow it, go small on oil pump, like 26 mm, add a balanced crank, it will last and be a decent running engine.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with what you have. If it has good oil pressure and compression and is driven with respect it could very well out last you and I used as a fun occasional driver. With the lighter body it will keep up with the traffic around town just fine and hold 100 km/hr on most highway hills. The only time you will feel you need more engine is when the traffic gets heavy and fast on long weekends.

Just personal experiance here, I have never felt the need to case saver a stock engine and have never even seen a pulled stud. But then Dad and I have only been into VWs since '67. I presently have 8 stock aircooled engines in our yard and none have case savers or pulled studs. As the HP goes up past stock though it could be a different story.

When it comes time that you want more power consider a turbo. With a properly sized turbo and mild boost you will spend about 1/3 of the dollars for the same HP increase, do it at the same or lower rpm than stock, have a very nicely manored, drivable engine to boot and not even have to open your present engine up!

Just a suggestion...
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

When it comes time that you want more power consider a turbo. With a properly sized turbo and mild boost you will spend about 1/3 of the dollars for the same HP increase, do it at the same or lower rpm than stock, have a very nicely manored, drivable engine to boot and not even have to open your present engine up!

Just a suggestion...

interesting
maybe i better drive it for a bit beofre i jump on that
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

After I did my first turbo install on my Rabbit I swore off ever going back to the old school "cam, carbs and header" route. I spent $800 on a new properly sized turbo and built the rest myself. A friend of mine did the cam, Webber, header thing on his Rabbit about the same time. I drove them both, his car had crisp low end throttle response but no extra power until it got above 5000 rpm then made what felt like about 20% more than stock up to 8000 rpm.

Mine on the other hand had some noticeable lag off the hop but by 2500 rpm was feelings pretty strong and by 5000 rpm was getting into about double the stock HP. I never took it up to the factory 6250 rpm red line after the turbo was installed as it was making huge power around 5000 and I was already getting into the "Holy Crap!" zone, smoking tires and burning up clutches!

This Buggy came with a stock 1600 DP with Kadrons and Dual cannons. Ran like crap. To make a long story short, an with exhaust change and a lot of tinkering is runs ok now but for the $800 or more it takes to buy new Kadrons... never! Throttle response is better than a stock Solex but the increase in top end power would be in the single digits at best. Total waste of money in my view.

So here I am years later not taking my own advice and already regretting it even before finishing this engine! The whole idea behind this new engine was to retain the classic "Manx" look so I wanted to go with the classic dual Weber/Cannon exhaust appearance. Then I got on this site and learned:

#1) This Buggy from the back end is nowhere close to a real Manx in looks.
#2) Dual Cannons look cool, sound cool but run like crap!

So If I was to start over on this engine it would be totally different than what I am doing now. Oh well... never had dual Webers before so want to try that.

They may be up for sale by fall though...
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

so since this buggy is not a true Meyers i feel i can cut it up a bit and modify as i see fit. I cut out half the spare tire well and closed it back up as well relocated my battery to under the rear shelf. but looking at it i was not liking the very different opening for where the spare tire was and the battery was, so i decided to fill the battery opening a bit to look more like the pare tire well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i will post updates as i go.
i am almost ready for paint too
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

got the old battery well filled and the first coat of high build primer on the body. feels good to see it at this stage

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Looking good! What color do you have in mind?
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Looking good! What color do you have in mind?

something hopefully along the color of my belt cover

if i can replicate that Confused
its like plastidip but a different make. its called protect dip. suppose to be one of those removable coating. gonna try it
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Sweet! I love colors that stand out in a crowd. Enough already of white, gray and black!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Sweet! I love colors that stand out in a crowd. Enough already of white, gray and black!

That's why I special ordered and waited 3 months for my new Kinetic Blue Colorado, SO sick and tired of black, white and grey/silver vehicles. I came out of Fuddruckers last week and there was 5 white crossovers in a row, all different makes.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I hear ya! Three years ago we took a trip through the Rockies and made a game with the kids counting colors other than black, white and grey. There were only a hand full of other colors in 10 hours of driving. I began to think we had all gone color blind!

Good to see a few colors showing up on the Dodge dealership lots the last year or so.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Got the final primer coat on tonight. Next step color
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I expect the weather just put a kink in your painting plans!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I expect the weather just put a kink in your painting plans!

Not as much as some rough spots that I missed. Sanded a lot of the front back down to get it where I wanted it. I think it’s done now. 🤞🏻Color by the end of the week.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I hear ya about set backs. My engine slid in place nicely and the carbs clear the body but the carb linkage hits the body on the right side. Need to rethink that.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Got the color on tonight. Not the best but with what I am using I guess it turned out ok. As always picture really don’t help how it really looks. Gonna get another can of top coat and hopefully there will be more shine.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I like it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: