Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Doom Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Firebuggy wrote:
Lookin' good! Smile

thanks
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

As much as we all are wowed by the big dollar, lots of chrome, big on HP and goodies builds, your buggy has a certain down to earth charm that I really like. Thanks for showing us once again that this hobby is not just for the well heeled and with some thought and effort all of us regular guys can have a great looking ride too!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
As much as we all are wowed by the big dollar, lots of chrome, big on HP and goodies builds, your buggy has a certain down to earth charm that I really like. Thanks for showing us once again that this hobby is not just for the well heeled and with some thought and effort all of us regular guys can have a great looking ride too!

thanks
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Got the call yesterday. My 7” rims are ready finally. Hopefully see them today.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Got my new rims. Just need to get them blasted and painted
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Excellent!

A few years back I was in need of some wide 5 rims for the back of our sand rail and I wanted to go with 14" quad tires. I had a hard time finding any wide 14" rims at the auto wreakers but ended up with two 8" rims, one Dodge and one Ford. I knocked the centers out and welded in VW centers. Worked out pretty well except that with the shape of the center of the rims being slightly different I ended up with a 1/2" difference in offset. No big deal on an open wheel off road only car.

Question: who do you get to balance wide 5 rims? All 3 of our local tire shops say cannot do them.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Excellent!

Question: who do you get to balance wide 5 rims? All 3 of our local tire shops say cannot do them.

i dont know yet, i work at a tire shop and we dont have anything, i was actually thinking of taking a drum and balancing it first then bolting on the rim and see
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Every tire shop in the country used to have an adapter to fit them. It would surprise me if there weren't a few still kicking around in dusty corners. Yes I was thinking about a drum too. A piece of flat plate could be drilled and machined to do the job but it would be quite a bit of work.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I bought this one and have used it for several years now.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1476281

And another.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1830990

I have used these flat plate adapters too:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2158256

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Quote:

I have one of the balance plates, but we are gone on holidays for 3 weeks

big truck shops should be able to balance them. You could try some of the old school tire shops like Elrich tire in lethbridge.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

i am not going to worry about it right now. but when i get it on the road and it shakes the teeth out of my mouth then definitely look at something.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
i am not going to worry about it right now. but when i get it on the road and it shakes the teeth out of my mouth then definitely look at something.

Ha Ha Ha!

In the first part of April this year, we threw on a complete set of tires, drove across the US, raced Baja, drove all the way back across the US, and never balanced one tire. The newly solid mounted transaxle gave worse vibrations than the tires.

Luck?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I will go with the luck conclusion.

The front tires on my sand rail start to shake at 40 mph, by 55 mph the whole front of the rail - frame and all are a blur and the tires are dancing about an inch and a half off the road. Yup I can see that much day light under them! Then by 70 mph it's all smoothed out again.

Mostly I use it off road trail riding so it's not that much of an issue.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

So I messed around with link shins awhile ago. Thus making my front tire point in different directions. In a bad way. So as I am working on this thing not at my place of employment and also alone. So I made a toe gauge. May not be perfect but should be close enough to allow me to drag it into town

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Also finally got my 7” rims back and painted up. Tires mounted too

Here’s the comparison of my front 165R15 tires and my rear 235/60R15. I really like the looks of the tires

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

That's the best use for DIN rail I've seen yet LOL. I did alignments for a few years using just a scribe and a toe bar on everything from Mercedes for clapped out Ford trucks. IF you know what you're ding it works just fine. I should post some pictures of the tire scribe and toe bar I made for home use.

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
That's the best use for DIN rail I've seen yet LOL. I did alignments for a few years using just a scribe and a toe bar on everything from Mercedes for clapped out Ford trucks. IF you know what you're ding it works just fine. I should post some pictures of the tire scribe and toe bar I made for home use.

brad

it was long enough and light. it work well.
a little redneck engineering and things can get done
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Toe in setting tip: Magnetic laser level.

1. Remove front wheels and attach level to one of the wheels and set it to 0 degrees.

Note - I used the rear wheels as a non-moving reference - remember to add an offset for the height of the laser level

2. Carefully move the level to the opposite side and measure the toe in/out desired

Note - first time I tried this I used the outside edge of the rear rims - it was a way too much toe in (like 2"!)

Basically I am using the wheel mounting surfaces as a common plane and making toe in adjustments in relation to each tire.

- Jeff
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

For a "few" dollars more a 2nd later lazer level will minimize the error possibilities that moving the setup side to side invites.
I used 2 from Lowes when squaring the near rear housing on our motorhome. If I can find the picture I'll post it.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

The second laser level is a great idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: