Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Thanks, just did this very easy and now I have all 3 speeds. Quick question how are people sound proofing the front? I have some stick on sound blocker, just wondering were the bast placement would be.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

I think that a heat shield around the radiator Is far more important than sound deadener.
The heat that comes off that radiator channel is a KILLER in the Summer!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshtw709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

I just did this conversion and notice melting plastic smell every time I have the blower motor in setting one or two, but never in setting three (didn't convert to the four speed fan switch). I can cruise it in setting three and then go down to setting two and notice melting plastic smell in about 20 seconds, kick it back to setting three and it goes away. any idea what is going on here? I've replaced my blower motor, wiring, and resistor. I have a new switch in the mail but I have a hard time thinking it is the cause.

cheers,
josh
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

I did this mod n have no smell.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

the coils on the resister get HOT. did you get any plastic shavings on them when installing them into the hole? or is it too close to an edge or the back inside.

the fan airflow is supposed to help in cooling the resistor coils. perhaps it's not getting enough of the airflow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshtw709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

the smell seems to lessen when I have the floor vent closed and all the air coming thru the dash vents. presumably greater air-flow across the resistor is occurring when I close off the floor vent?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

I too did this mod with stellar results.

My guess is debris on the elements or a very bad location of the resistor.

When working, the coils glow red hot like a toaster. If it is located poorly without cooling airflow, plastic nearby could indeed melt.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Very reasonable explanations above. Unless your heater box is somehow damaged, plugged
or otherwise modded, there should be plenty of airflow to cool the new resistor.

Post a pic of your install...could be a great help in our long-distance troubleshooting...??? Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
joshtw709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Very reasonable explanations above. Unless your heater box is somehow damaged, plugged
or otherwise modded, there should be plenty of airflow to cool the new resistor.

Post a pic of your install...could be a great help in our long-distance troubleshooting...??? Wink

- Dave
[img]

below are three (kind of bad) photos of the install. I cut the hole in my heater box approximately the same as done by dhaavers.

seems like maybe setting 1 and 2 possibly generate more heat than setting 3 for the resistor, or the air just isn't sufficient. maybe I need to go to the 4 speed setup...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Just to post an update. Looks like mine failed after 2 1/2 years. Three speed switch (OG) and the middle speed isn't working, as tested with a wire jumper between the switch terminals. So off to replace the resistor. Maybe I'll find a more durable one this time.

EDIT: looks like the part number at Oreilly (my FLAPS) is 2BMR15 from MPI. I ordered the wrong one from the big online superstore Rolling Eyes which I now have to return. Yes, I could cut and splice the wires to make it work but the point of this to be a simple R&R.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

The info I learned in this thread helped me to resolve an issue on a completely unrelated vehicle. I'm servicing a friend's '82 F150 (eyeroll) and was having a hard time locating the correct fan resistor--for reasons unknown, this truck is kind of a unicorn for lots of parts. None of the resistors I found from the usual sources were the same, but then I remembered this thread and began looking for a Jeep unit. Sure enough, the '92 Wrangler used a slightly smaller unit, but even the spades fit the Ford plug. With some small mods I was able to get it to fit, and it was less than $7

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

The resistors never last...at least you could get to it easily!

Cool

- Dave

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

FWIW...Related recent discussion: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694838

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Who has ordered one of these lately AND had it come with the plastic connector/harness for the resistor?

Not sure if this one comes with a connector or not:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/masterpro-ign...15/4506749

Thanks!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:

Not sure if this one comes with a connector or not:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/masterpro-ign...15/4506749

Thanks!

If it's not shown, I wouldn't count on it. If you click through to get the price ($8.99 for me) it says there are 5 spade terminals, so I'd say no connector.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Several vendors on eBay supply Dorman brand w/harness: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blower-Motor-Resistor-Kit...1438.l2649

FWIW: I'm still running my OE Mopar brand resistor w/no troubles... Cool

- Dave

markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

i recently put one into westy that i converted from air-cooled, i'd already previously fitted the BMW brake booster to the van, and space looked very tight in there, so i fitted the jeep resistor on the other side of the heater box, if it were to require replacing, it's now accessible from the glove box, I rewired it all anyway, so the new wiring was made long enough to go around the back of the heater box, it's all good.

619 201 0310
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Sure glad to have found this thread. Even with a lube tube for the left side bearing, my fan now growls so loudly, the Bach Cantata and Fugue in D minor for the organ at full blast is not appreciating the competing fan "duet". The PO kindly delivered my '91 to me with a frozen fan which I was able to free, but.............

However, I always assumed the huge ceramic resistor behind the left headlight was the fan speed controller. Apparently not as nobody mentioned such an item. What is that one and what does it do? When a few of my older T3's died, I "harvested" these just in case and so have two spares.

I have used the bearing lube tube for the last 4 T3's I've had and it makes a huge difference. Dash coming out this summer and will do all of what you have done, but worried about all the various failures mention in the posts. Maybe the resistor loads are just too high for the switch contacts and relays should be used. I noticed that no one followed up on nocreditnodebt's old post copied here below.

For those who don't mind a little modification or a Non stock appearance, A PWM motor speed controller rated to handle the amperage can be used to control blower motor speeds, and instead of set speeds, infinitely variable.

https://www.amazon.com/uniquegoods-Controller-Adjustable-Variable-Switch/dp/B00K4W4FQO

Motors might emit a whine when slowed though vie Pulse width modulation. The higher the HZ the better with speeds over 16khz likely inaudible to humans.

Some versions allow one to change the frequency too but I lost the bookmarks.

I recently did a new blower motor and resistor and resistor connector in a Non VW application, and kind of regret not going the PWM route instead.

I upgraded wiring to 8awg and the motor gets so much more voltage and spins so much faster, it moves as much air on medium high speed as it did on high previously.

Me again--Why not use this and skip all the switch and resistor and possible melting plastic issues altogether? His post was 2015, so I assume that by now the electronics are better and cheaper.

Duncan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Granted, The OG dash switch IS prone to failure, but easy to change out. Likewise, the Jeep resistor
mod is not a permanent fix (no resistor lasts forever) but definitely an improvement because it is
much easier to change out than the OG resistor buried deep inside the box buried behind the dash.

FWIW: Resistor behind headlight = radiator fan, controlled by radiator temp switch (...& associated relay...???)

PS: My OE Jeep resistor still holding up 4 years on, but always interested to hear about other effective options....

Cool

- Dave

corypharmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dash blower rebuild with (cheap) Jeep resistor - w/PICS Reply with quote

Hey @dhaavers, did you wire it with 1 being low, 2 being medium, 3 being high and 4 being the clutch? Thanks Cory
1986 Syncro full camper
1983 westy camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: