Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lubrication - Experts Please Chime In
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Lubrication - Experts Please Chime In Reply with quote

I have a few Headflow Master engine customers recently having issues with their lubrication. Upon researching the Pressure Relief Ball Modification further, I have some questions about the claims of this modification.

Please read Lubrication Notes (link below) and note how VW utilizes "waste circulation" to pass more oil through the cooler than the engine actually uses. This is a factory blessed "leak" that occurs with grooved relief pistons in the closed position. The oil pump has known about this "leak" since the day it was designed and engineered.

For an engine without waste circulation, if the all the bearing surfaces heat up 4 gallons of oil each minute, the oil cooler only cools 4 gallons per minute.

With waste circulation, the bearings are still heating up 4 gallons per minute, but that relief piston groove has allowed the cooler to flow 5 gallons per minute, 4 to the bearings to get all hot, and one gallon dumped right back into the sump unused, cooled and ready to help drop oil temperatures.

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12422#p212557

The advertised "advantage" of the Adrian Ball Modification is that it improves oil pressure. Well, getting rid of the waste circulation indeed will increase oil pressure and defeat the purpose of the grooved relief piston.

Factory on Left * * * * * * * * * * Adrian Ball on Right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More troubling, the sleeve (red) blocks the thermostatic purpose of the relief valve piston. No longer do we have the choice for cold oil to pass through to the main bearings and/or the cooler. The oil either passes through the cooler or it is dumped directly into the sump past the ball. A ball is merely an on-off switch. It does not allow gradual switch over of the pump's output from the main gallery to the cooler as the oil warms up.

I have visited two customers within the past eight weeks with this modification installed in their engines. I have seen a gallery plug blow-out at the engine's first start for break-in, and I have seen a new engine with barely six hours total run time showing 20# at 2,500 rpm at 155* using 5-50W oil.

I cannot recommend this modification. If you have oil pressure problems, YES, you can increase pressure by plugging off the waste circulation, but the actual problem with your engine is more likely to be that:
a) bearing clearances have left factory parameters
b) your pump has been mangled by debris
c) you are using modern low viscosity oil
THAN
d) this notion that your relief piston is "leaking" out oil pressure . . .
Colin
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there has been a lot of discussion over the years of how the pressure valves work on VW engines. I was amazed by how much thought the engineers put into it because in my youth it never occurred to me how sophisticated it is. Richard Ratwell - Ratwell.com has a good graphic of T1 -> T4 engine pressure systems on his website. Here are two of Richard's images showing the main two T4 variants - an early solid lifter and late hydraulic lifter. There are additional variants not shown -> in 1976 when the GD case was introduced, it was used with a single relief for both solid and hydraulic lifters. In addition, the oil bypass was re-routed in some of the late GD (and I 'd guess all GE) cases back to the oil pump inlet instead of the sump. On these rerouted cases, the oil pickup tube is a different length as well. One can see in the photos that the valve nearest the pump is slotted, so it allows the oil cooler to cool more oil than is flowing through the bearings and lifters. On the later cases where the oil is rerouted back to the pump inlet, it is already cooled oil that is being rerouted so the oil pump is getting cooler oil than if it only drew from the sump.

Beneath the two images of Richard's is a image of the late 1977 supplement 17 showing how the case was reworked. Colin - like you I am concerned anytime someone re-engineers oil systems. I know that the pre-doghouse T1 buses needed additional cooling for several reasons, and an external cooler was often used. I went to an extended sump on my T1, a solution that worked exceptionally well as the oil would remain stable for multi-hour long desert runs to Havasu in summer. My T4 bus oil sump heats up too quickly on mountain climbs when it is 100F outside but my oil pressure is extremely stable. The general rule for engines is that 10 PSI of oil pressure is needed per 1000 RPM.

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious about this as well. I have an engine coming with this modification. I'm not sure if it's too late to have him change it back to stock. (Can you change it back once it's modified?)
I'm starting with a brand new case as well.... Confused
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal and have dealt with a lot of industrial oiling systems that have some of the same attributes of the ball system....in that that use ball and orifices as the pressure regulating choke points. The ball valve in the type 4 oil filter head uses the same concept.
The fuel injection fuel pressure regulator uses "somewhat"...some of the same physics (I come back to that).

I have not yet studied the diagram enough to comment on the changes to actual oil routing....this is just pertaining to the ball as a valve.

The problem I see with the ball regulator system that I see....from my experience.....is that it is strictly a pressure relief system. Because the affected hydraulic area....the area that the oil is capable of multiplying force against. ...is so low....in most cases a fluid like motor oil or only moderate density....can only really move the ball far enough from its seat.....to relive pressure. ....but that gap will be so small as to not pass much volume. If that same ball design were being used with a lubricant of much higher density...say with a paste grease.....it would work more similarly to the standard piston relief valve.....which works as it does because it has so much surface area in the face of the flow.

The fuel pressure regulator is somewhere in between ball and piston.....as I think the ball hypass valve should be if it were to be redesigned.

The fuel pressure regulator pintle usually uses a fairly wide conical point. Fuel leverage is shunted to the outer edges evenly with very low pressure build up at the actual sealing edges. Its designed to pass more volume at a constant rate while relieving pressure......so i5 does not dump and snap shut....causing oscillation....which is one of the risks of ball type valves with limited surface area....in the face of high volume flow and moderate fluid density.
just pure speculation.....but I think the ball mod would be more uniform performance....if the valve shape were somehwere between piston and ball.....a conical shape. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

just pure speculation.....but I think the ball mod would be more uniform performance....if the valve shape were somehwere between piston and ball.....a conical shape. Ray

The ball seat sleeve (illustrated in red above) that Adrian installs in the pressure relief bore blocks the main gallery port. We lose all thermostatic effect of bypassing the oil cooler but still feeding the bearings until the oil is up to temperature.

The factory places the overall pressure relief (the control valve) in all VW engines so equipped, at the end of the gallery to let the pressure drop help flow through the galleries. By putting in this ball relief at the pump end of the galleries, we just have a dump occurring before the cooler even . . .
Colin
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
I'm very curious about this as well. I have an engine coming with this modification. I'm not sure if it's too late to have him change it back to stock. (Can you change it back once it's modified?)
I'm starting with a brand new case as well.... Confused

Elsewhere here on theSamba, an effort was made to remove the Adrian valve sleeve, and it was a big no, not gonna happen without damaging the pressure relief bore . . .
Colin
(what engine are you getting? PM me)
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from an expert, but if your diagrams are correct, I certainly see the value in the stock system cooling the oil better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

The ball seat sleeve (illustrated in red above) that Adrian installs in the pressure relief bore blocks the main gallery port. We lose all thermostatic effect of bypassing the oil cooler but still feeding the bearings until the oil is up to temperature.

The factory places the overall pressure relief (the control valve) in all VW engines so equipped, at the end of the gallery to let the pressure drop help flow through the galleries. By putting in this ball relief at the pump end of the galleries, we just have a dump occurring before the cooler even . . .
Colin

Yep...as noted...I'm not even commenting yet on the flow issues.....just that....and maybe this will clarify my previous post a little........
.....if all you were worried about controlling is system PRESSURE.....with no regard to VOLUME control or movement......the ball valve is excellent for that.

However, pressure modulation is not the only issue that the factory system tackles. There is a large amount of volume that must go somewhere. The ball valve is not ideal for that from what I see....in this application.

Had they still had the bypass to keep volume flowing, used a weaker spring and just used the ball valve for pressure modulation on the circuit...I could see it being a better version of what the factory had....but it would take oodles of research to decide what ball size with seat area...and due to different oil volumes created with different pumps and different pressure created with different oils......you would need a choice of interchangeable ball and seat assemblies to make it work with every combination.

Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I lucked out when I got into VW's by already having experienced that high oil pressure and thick oils don't necessary provide the best in lubrication. I think people worry way too much about the oil pressure in their VW, not realizing that the engine is designed to use oil pressure to regulate cooling. You don't want or need very high oil pressure in one of these engines, I would say that 30 psi at highways speeds is sufficient.

In their early engines VW specced straight 20wt oil up to 68°F and only 30wt above that as these thinner oils caused less oil pressure and thus higher cooler oil flows. I am not a fan of oils like 0w20 or 5w-20 nor am I a fan of 20w50 or heavy straight weights like 40wt or 50wt. There are oils in the middle range with more normal viscosities that work just fine, 10w30 was long the best selling oil in the world for a reason.

I think Colin is right in that the VW grooved piston provides an important cooling function that is lost when a ball style relief valve is used. You want the relief valve shut for the best cooler flow and the ball relief isn't going to provide that.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy vay. Any idea how long this mod has been added? I had my GD engine rebuilt by Adrian last spring/early summer and installed it/started it a few days before Thanksgiving. I don't know anything about the lubrication system, but could this explain why my engine leaks oil for a few minutes after a cold start? It appears to be coming from above the oil filter bracket. I figured there was a relief valve there and the pressure was too high because of the tight clearances in the new engine. It leaks a smaller amount of oil now than it did when I first installed the engine. I have less than 50 miles on it, running Brad Penn Break-In oil, changed it around 20 miles and filled it with the break-in oil again which I figure I'll keep until 1000 miles. So, what does all this mean in layman terms? Should I run a specific weight of oil? Figured I was safe going with Adrian because of his rep. Can never win.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Type IV (4) oil leak Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:

my engine leaks oil for a few minutes after a cold start
I have less than 50 miles on it,
what does all this mean in layman terms?

This is the gallery plug that leaked on the new Headflow Masters engine I helped to install and break-in on February 14th.

A leak began in 30 seconds, and it would go away after about ten minutes of break-in running.

This tapped gallery plug had botched threads with loctite:

This gallery plug is installed in the relief dump drilling and leaks only when the ball is off the seat.
Colin
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication - Experts Please Chime In Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

Factory on Left * * * * * * * * * * Adrian Ball on Right.

How close to being to scale are your drawings of the ports in the relieve valve bore? Did you actually take measurements of location of each port or did you just depend on VW's drawings for the relative positions of the ports? Knowing the free length of the spring and the spring constant, one could calculate the pressures it should take to expose the various ports.

Are the ports in the same relative position of both a single and dual relief Typ4 engine? What about for a Type 1?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication - Experts Please Chime In Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Are the ports in the same relative position of both a single and dual relief Typ4 engine? What about for a Type 1?

Consider all Type 4 engines as being dual relief, as in "control valve" or "hydraulic lifter bleed" well downstream of the relief valve. All Type 4 engines are equipped with grooved relief pistons that require a dump port almost in line with the main gallery, so there will be waste circulation when the piston is closed, at the top of the bore. The Type 4 engines uses two longitudinal grooves that go up the sides of the relief bore to the elevation of the main gallery port.

Single relief Type 1 engines with grooved relief pistons had a dump port easily visible in the camshaft gear well. The dual relief Type 1 engines dispensed with the dump port in the relief bore, and used the control valve dump for waste circulation and over pressure.

My illustrations came totally off the top of my head and are not especially accurate as to offset between main and dump orifices except that there is continuity through the piston's groove. The opening pressures have been determined by jimmy111's excellent write-up on oil pressure.
As discussed in the Lubrication Notes article, the piston opens at about 55-60 psi and closes near 28 psi. This cut-in/cut-out differential is achieved by having just a small area of the top of the piston exposed to the pump delivery gallery through the necked port this would be the "cut-in", but once the piston is pushed down, the full surface area of the piston is now exposed and will not seat until the pressure is quite a bit lower.
Colin
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem with VW's original design and I have never ever ever put an engine together with any thing other than factory oil relief pistons and springs. They spent a lot of time with testing and developing the Type 4, why modify it? The only thing I do that is "other than factory" is open the exhaust guides on the AMC heads so they don't seize to the valve stem when they get hot.

Stick with stock. It's not rocket science.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication - Experts Please Chime In Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
The opening pressures have been determined by jimmy111's excellent write-up on oil pressure.
As discussed in the Lubrication Notes article, the piston opens at about 55-60 psi and closes near 28 psi. This cut-in/cut-out differential is achieved by having just a small area of the top of the piston exposed to the pump delivery gallery through the necked port this would be the "cut-in", but once the piston is pushed down, the full surface area of the piston is now exposed and will not seat until the pressure is quite a bit lower.
Colin

I would be one of those that would argue that VW never intended for the piston to seal to the top of the bore. In fact I make sure that the top of the piston is rough enough for this to not happen. I think having the piston opening and closing in the 30 psi range is what VW intended.

I would just rather not have a cracked oil cooler or blown galley plug ruin my day. Crying or Very sad
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I think having the piston opening and closing in the 30 psi range is what VW intended.

Actually, using the relief valve spring pressure specs given in the Type II Bentley manual, and assuming the oil pressure acts on the entire top of
the relief piston, with none of that valve hysteresis folderol, you get the valve beginning to open in the 40-52 psi range, which seems
right on the money to me. Of course, the piston has to be pushed down another 7 mm or so before the oil starts bypassing to the main oil gallery.
(This is for Type I dual-relief case, you other guys can calculate yer own stuff).

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by kreemoweet on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my Easter project will be to pull a couple of springs and measure the spring constants.... Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really the spring "constant" That will be the issue when comparing between the stock flat faced piston and the ball relief valve. It will be the initial unzeating pressure required for the spring at any given preload....combined with the fact that a ball valve and seat assembly installed in an otherwise same size bore as the flat piston....with have a much reduced surface area for the oil flow/pressure to act against. They will have totally different unseating pressure characteristics. Ray
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication - Experts Please Chime In Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

I would be one of those that would argue that VW never intended for the piston to seal to the top of the bore. In fact I make sure that the top of the piston is rough enough for this to not happen.

It "seals" it doesn't SEAL. When the engine is hot, the piston merely makes sure that the oil must pass through the cooler. It is not keeping the oil from falling out onto the ground, it just makes sure that the oil from the pump goes to the cooler, that is all. However beautiful the top of the piston may be, however nicely it was lapped to the seat surrounding the purple area in the illustration above, or however rough the top of the piston may be, is utterly not noticed by the engine.

Wildthings wrote:

I think having the piston opening and closing in the 30 psi range is what VW intended.

I refer you to the fact that the relief valve is working in concert with the control valve. The relief valve cannot preclude the control valve, that would accelerate bore wear as the relief valve becomes a bobbing "unisyn indicator" every time the engine revs up and down. That is not what happens. The control valve opens at a typical 50-60 psi . . . why, here is my hot freeway ran engine just last week at 4,000 rpm with 20-50w. The pressure gauge would not go past 52:

Wildthings wrote:

I would just rather not have a cracked oil cooler or blown galley plug ruin my day. Crying or Very sad

Remember:
the relief valve does not block off the cooler from the pump EVER.
the relief valve does not block off the cooler from the pump EVER.
So the closed position of the piston has already assured you that the pressure has dropped enough for the spring to close off the cold alternative main gallery or dump port.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication - Experts Please Chime In Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Consider all Type 4 engines as being dual relief, as in "control valve" or "hydraulic lifter bleed" well downstream of the relief valve. All Type 4 engines are equipped with grooved relief pistons that require a dump port almost in line with the main gallery, so there will be waste circulation when the piston is closed, at the top of the bore. The Type 4 engines uses two longitudinal grooves that go up the sides of the relief bore to the elevation of the main gallery port.

Single relief Type 1 engines with grooved relief pistons had a dump port easily visible in the camshaft gear well. The dual relief Type 1 engines dispensed with the dump port in the relief bore, and used the control valve dump for waste circulation and over pressure.

My illustrations came totally off the top of my head and are not especially accurate as to offset between main and dump orifices except that there is continuity through the piston's groove. The opening pressures have been determined by jimmy111's excellent write-up on oil pressure.
Colin

What about the GD and GC engines that have only one relief valve and no second control valve or hydro lifter bleed?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: