Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CJ5 Grab Bar Dash Mod with Cup Holders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
This morning I was surfing around looking for clamp on cup holders.

Turns Out there are quite a few styles from which to choose! Each with its own nuance to it.
The one the Op posted, a simple wire type, a simple ring that holds tapered cups, a soft vinyl bag like a pool table has at each pocket for balls, and a cup similar to the OP only it also has a slot for a mug handle.

In addition..... You can get a clamp on Cell phone mount, a clamp on Tablet mount, a clamp on GPS mount, a clamp on mount for anything with a belt clip and even just the clamp itself so you can make your own special mount for any object that you desire to mount! ...... I'm thinking Sunglass Holder........

I can see that bar now..... A crowded magic mounting bar looking for all the World like a police officers belt!

Dave

Yep, Amazon sells an AMPS blank handlebar mount by Akron that's compatible with the ProClip line of accessories. You can roll your own and mount just about anything. I also had an idea to mount a longer bar on top of the dash just below the windshield over the vents. That part of the dash is metal, too. Then you could mount an iPad mini, a GPS, etc., floating out over the dash...again...very secure and with only two holes in an inconspicuous place on your dash. I saw a bar somewhere that looked good and would work. I'll try to find it again and post it here. Lots of possibilities.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.....

A bar like that on the dash which mounted to the metal portion behind the ashtray would be a great place for GPS, a gauge pod, etc.
Stuff you'd like to mount but you don't want to pierce your dash for making multiple hard to fix / impossible to fix holes!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
I am concerned about my hand hitting the drivers side cup holder in reverse though. Moving it any further left could be a knee banger and would be in the way of removing the seat. Think

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It does look like you can buy those cups with different mounting hardware though. Perhaps attaching straight into that metal strip below the stereo without the bar???

Yep, you don't need the bar clamp for these particular cups. Using just the included spacer, which you can't see in my photos, you can mount the cups in any vertical hole. The spacer is reversible .... one side locks the cup in a rigid position ... the other side allows it to swivel (to account for movement on a motorcycle.).
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is inspired, really! Just cheerleading. Thanks for posting that! Applause
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more photos for inspiration. Would like to see what others do with this idea.

Incidentally, the coffee stain on my carpet is from the last time I set my venti Starbucks down on the floor for a moment. Hence why cup holders were installed this weekend and I ordered rubbers floors from Germany ... I've spilled my beverage of the moment about 10 times.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close are the cup holders to your (and you passenger's) knee when seated or trying to pass through the front seats to the rear? Do they compromise access at all? How else could you mount the cup holders without the bar?

Just thinking out loud. But again, genius! Kudos!
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the stuff, and am going for it. It's a huge upgrade from the roll of duct tape on the floor. One of the best uses for duct there is.

I bought the iPhone mount too. Awesome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
How close are the cup holders to your (and you passenger's) knee when seated or trying to pass through the front seats to the rear? Do they compromise access at all? How else could you mount the cup holders without the bar?

The last picture in my original post shows my left knee while sitting in the passenger seat...it doesn't impede access at all. That was important to me when designing a solution. I'm 5'11". If you're taller and bumping knees is a problem, there are other cup holders that mount closer to the bar. These particular cup holders could be mounted directly to that vertical strip that the bar is mounted to without modification. You would just have to replace the hex nut it comes with it with a flat head bolt and nut. Also note that I've got the cup holders mounted as far apart as the bar would allow ... you could put a rubber shim in the clamp and mount over the curve. You can also slide them closer to the gear shift. Right now, I'm just experimenting with it.

Last edited by GypsyDriver on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Gunldesnapper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice!
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plysaker wrote:
I bought the stuff, and am going for it. It's a huge upgrade from the roll of duct tape on the floor. One of the best uses for duct there is.

I bought the iPhone mount too. Awesome

Post pictures of your setup when you're done? I'm currently mounting my iPhone 6 on the magnetic mount by Scosche seen in the pictures. I like it a lot...one of the best mounts I've used. But I'm having difficulty figuring out how to run power to that location permanently without too much modification to my dash or wires running to my ashtray. Mounting it on the bar may be an overall better solution, then you can tuck the wires under the dash.
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

ThankYouJerry, you (and someone else who asked the same question) just gave me an idea that might work for these particular cup holders. I'm going to try replacing the bolts that hold the bar to the dash with the cup holder itself. There's a flat head hex bolt that runs through the spacer you can see in my pictures between the cup and the bar clamp. The bolt is covered up by the foam insert in the cup. I think I can replace that bolt with a flathead bolt that runs through the cup, the spacer, the bar mounting tab, and fastens to the nut and washer behind the dash. I think that might work and actually be a better setup ... cup holders are closer to the dash and it clears up space on the bar .... as long as it doesn't interfere with the glovebox opening. We'll see ... I'm traveling this week, but will try it this weekend and post pictures.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome mod!!!thanks for posting.

Neil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was inspired by this thread and ended up ordering the grab bar. I wanted to check-in with the OP to get an update on the cup holders as I have not purchased cup holders yet.

Are you happy with the cup holders you purchased? Do they seem to fit a variety of cup sizes? Any additional comments from what you've noticed from living with the bar in place for a couple weeks since the original post?

I'm also digging the idea of a shorter bar between the vents on the top of the dash. I sat the bar in that area--although much too long for the space, I could imagine a shorter bar being super useful in that area.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot. Thanks a ton for taking the plunge with something new and posting about it. Brilliant idea! Smile
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
I was inspired by this thread and ended up ordering the grab bar. I wanted to check-in with the OP to get an update on the cup holders as I have not purchased cup holders yet.

Are you happy with the cup holders you purchased? Do they seem to fit a variety of cup sizes? Any additional comments from what you've noticed from living with the bar in place for a couple weeks since the original post?

I'm also digging the idea of a shorter bar between the vents on the top of the dash. I sat the bar in that area--although much too long for the space, I could imagine a shorter bar being super useful in that area.

Thanks, Porter...the cup holders are very nice and versatile. They're heavy duty and will probably outlive our vans. They're designed for a motorcycle. They're deep to prevent spills. They won't hold a big gulp or giant to-go cup, but they'll hold a Starbucks Venti, a standard 20oz bottle, a 1/2 liter water bottle, or a tall (versus fat) to-go cup. I'm very happy with them. I think they're expedition qualify and a good aesthetic and functional fit for the van.

My idea was mostly about the bar. I ride bicycles and motorcycles and previously owned a Jeep Wrangler TJ. I was inspired by the available accessories for handlebars and and Jeep accessories.

Post a picture. I'd like to see how it worked out for you,
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the idea I had for the bar at the top of the dash was a longer bar to the outside of the vents.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:
porterbrown wrote:

Thanks, Porter...the cup holders are very nice and versatile. They're heavy duty and will probably outlive our vans. They're designed for a motorcycle. They're deep to prevent spills. They won't hold a big gulp or giant to-go cup, but they'll hold a Starbucks Venti, a standard 20oz bottle, a 1/2 liter water bottle, or a tall (versus fat) to-go cup. I'm very happy with them. I think they're expedition qualify and a good aesthetic and functional fit for the van.

My idea was mostly about the bar. I ride bicycles and motorcycles and previously owned a Jeep Wrangler TJ. I was inspired by the available accessories for handlebars and and Jeep accessories.

thanks for the response. on the cup holders, were you able to find an especially good deal? those babies are pricey!

as for the spacing between the bar and the shifter, it's pretty tight on mine but will work. there's less than 1/2" between the shifter shaft and the bar. but it does clear and i'm excited to get it mounted up!

once i originally read your post, i started googling all of the many different handlebar mounted accessories available for motorcycles, and there's a good amount of options/possibilities out there.
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
GypsyDriver wrote:
porterbrown wrote:

thanks for the response. on the cup holders, were you able to find an especially good deal? those babies are pricey!

as for the spacing between the bar and the shifter, it's pretty tight on mine but will work. there's less than 1/2" between the shifter shaft and the bar. but it does clear and i'm excited to get it mounted up!

once i originally read your post, i started googling all of the many different handlebar mounted accessories available for motorcycles, and there's a good amount of options/possibilities out there.

I think I paid about $34 each on Amazon with free shipping for the black powdercoat. A little spendy, but worth it, IMO. I've spilled coffee and other adult beverages on my carpet at least 10 times.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:
...I think I can replace that bolt with a flathead bolt that runs through the cup, the spacer, the bar mounting tab, and fastens to the nut and washer behind the dash. I think that might work and actually be a better setup ... cup holders are closer to the dash and it clears up space on the bar .... as long as it doesn't interfere with the glovebox opening. We'll see ... I'm traveling this week, but will try it this weekend and post pictures.

Did you get the chance to try this yet? Thanks!
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
GypsyDriver wrote:
...I think I can replace that bolt with a flathead bolt that runs through the cup, the spacer, the bar mounting tab, and fastens to the nut and washer behind the dash. I think that might work and actually be a better setup ... cup holders are closer to the dash and it clears up space on the bar .... as long as it doesn't interfere with the glovebox opening. We'll see ... I'm traveling this week, but will try it this weekend and post pictures.

Did you get the chance to try this yet? Thanks!

I did. It will work, but I need to get some spacers to bring the cups out about 2" to clear the lip of the padded dash above. There's enough room on the passenger side for the glovebox to open without hitting the cup holder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: