Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do I do now? Broken Diesel oil filler tube.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjonesak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: What do I do now? Broken Diesel oil filler tube. Reply with quote

On my inline 4 conversion I broke my diesel oil filler neck. I know stupid thing to do since they are NLA. I have already read on here what others have done when they've done this. Things like having one custom built which is an option. Or getting a block off plate which is what I already did. But what I am really curious about is will any other version from any other Vanagon work? If not why not. My broken one mounts up to an elbow bracket coming right off the oil pan which is what some of the ones I looked at did. Is the air cooled/water cooled/gas version shorter? Longer? Is it the dipstick in the cap? What is the difference? I don't know I'm just not getting this. Can someone enlighten me please.
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on www.brickwerks.co.uk
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE of the non-diesel oil filler tubes will work with the diesel pan, because they don't fit... With the right skill set and tools you can MAKE one fit, though.

I made a custom one for a conversion I did that had A/C. I don't recall if I started with one from a WBX or an air-cooled, but I chopped it, changed the angle and welded on a flange with the correct bolt pattern. It was certainly a little tricky but it works it doesn't leak, nothing ever rubs and oil is easily added without emptying the hatch area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

None of the filler tubes other than the '82 (only) diesel filler tube use the dipstick in the tube. The '82 mounting system/trans places the engine 1.5" rearward relative the body of the vehicle. Because of that, none of the other diesel filler tubes have the correct angle to work with the '82 diesel mounting system. With adapting any other filler tube, you would need to relocate the dipstick to use a curved tube and enter the block in the 'normal' diesel dipstick hole.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used from the Fatherland:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/vw-T3-OLEINFULLROHR-fur-JX-...2a4ea97aa3

There are new ones as well, but you need to be sure the seller will ship overseas.

Brickwerks in the UK does not ship to North America, you need an intermediary, try Jed at campervanculture.com

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjonesak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Block off plate it is... Reply with quote

Cool thanks for making that make sense Andrew Libby. You earned an A in diesel oil filler necks. At this point in time welding is above my pay grade until something more necessary to my vans survival breaks. Then I"ll buy a welder. In the mean time I'll either slow drip or I'll run the block off plate until my brother who lives in the homeland scores me the right one. I know he'll ship to the U.S.

Cheers
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
Used from the Fatherland:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/vw-T3-OLEINFULLROHR-fur-JX-...2a4ea97aa3

There are new ones as well, but you need to be sure the seller will ship overseas.

Brickwerks in the UK does not ship to North America, you need an intermediary, try Jed at campervanculture.com

FWIW, that's a later style filler tube which is designed for the '83+ vans. It may physically fit, but the angle for filling at the license plate is wrong if installed on an '82. Dipstick redesign would also be required as it can't accept the dipstick in the tube.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: