Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unique to a '62?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Unique to a '62? Reply with quote

In lieu of a recent purchase, I need to know what features are unique to a '62.
I have come up with the following-

"indented" rear hatch
flat wheel wells
Old style doglegs
Outtie vents
Fried eggs'larger rear taillights
Pull handles for front doors

So what about-

Glass
Thru glass window latches?
Spoon pop-out latches?
'L" style engine prop
Locking front doors or just drivers side?

Thanks.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique to a '62? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

So what about-

Glass
Thru glass window latches?
Spoon pop-out latches?
'L" style engine prop
Locking front doors or just drivers side?

Thanks.

Of course both front doors lock but just the drivers side has a keyed handle. Thats the only one I can vouch on.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the through the glass window latches was model specific for the earlier years, not only year specific.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
I thought the through the glass window latches was model specific for the earlier years, not only year specific.

OK, what years and what models? I've never seen a 63-67 without thru glass latches. I piulled some out of a '61 (standard) and (maybe) a '62 Panel.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Andrew wrote:

OK, what years and what models? I've never seen a 63-67 without thru glass latches. I piulled some out of a '61 (standard) and (maybe) a '62 Panel.

Now this, I'm not really sure on. I think that in '64, all models got the non-through the glass latches. I had a '63 kombi that had non-through the glass latches. If I remember, panels and kombi's had non-through the glass, standard and deluxe had through the glass latches. Somebody want to chime in? This is working on memory and it was a while back that I heard this.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think '62 has the large spoon latches.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bench front seat is '62 only. In deluxe and passenger models the seat upholstry is '62 only being a different color than 61 busses and pleated rather than heat seamed....ofcourse there are probably a few month carry overs into 61 and 63.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you wondering about '62 only features or changes for the '62 model year or how to identify a '62?

a freind of mine has a piece of literature that details the improvements for the '62 model year. it doesn't cover the arcane stuff, just things like the gas gauge and the such. I can get him to scan it for you if you like.

the latches for the slider windows being through the glass or with the frame is a difference of the type of glass. the through the glass latches are for sekurit glass and the frames are for sigla. sigla glass is laminated and cannot be drilled through. sekurit is one pane of tempered glass and it is cast with a hole in it. sigla is more common o earlier models and sekurit is more common on later models. 63 is the general cutoff between early and late for the glass at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when both types of glass were being used, which buses got which type of glass?
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the indent on the rear hatch, the half moon over the T-handle combined with newer tail lights the one way to tell a 62. Saying that at least the rear hatch hasn't been swapped out. I thought they introduced it in 62, the went away with it in 63. Are you trying to figure out the age of the bus, or just pondering the subtle differences?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
Isn't the indent on the rear hatch, the half moon over the T-handle combined with newer tail lights the one way to tell a 62. Saying that at least the rear hatch hasn't been swapped out. I thought they introduced it in 62, the went away with it in 63. Are you trying to figure out the age of the bus, or just pondering the subtle differences?

Just pondering the differences; I mentioned the hatch in my first post and I think you're right about it being a short lived "improvement".

HamburgerBrad wrote:

DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
the indent on the rear hatch, I thought they introduced it in 62, the went away with it in 63.

my ex- april of '61 had the indention. i assumed it was an improvement in '61 until they went with the big bobo rear hatches.
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61's and 62's have them. 63's do not.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:

Any ideas why 63's don't have them?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
are you wondering about '62 only features or changes for the '62 model year or how to identify a '62?

a freind of mine has a piece of literature that details the improvements for the '62 model year. it doesn't cover the arcane stuff, just things like the gas gauge and the such. I can get him to scan it for you if you like.

Yes, yes and no! I'll take a scan if it isn't that much trouble.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/62improv.php

the "archives" section still seems to be working. check it out.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:

actually you have been tricked by a model difference. deluxes never had the indent. so I am sure the '63 that you are basing this on either was a deluxe or had an earlier hatch installed onto it.

also, my august 1960 standard has the indent.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Lind wrote:

Yes, yes and no! I'll take a scan if it isn't that much trouble.

I guess that brochure is in the archives props to SO-23 for locating it.

62 walk throughs had a one year only drivers seat.
the dash was painted the same color as the top of the bus, although I think this might be a mid year '61 change, not quite sure.
the speedo pod has a wider arc on the top corners

of course the easy ones:
taillights
turn signals
fuel gauge
dual visors

I am sure there are more, I will hunt through some lit and jog my memory and see what I come up with.
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 62 23 window walkthru in turquoise and cumulus white. I agree with lind on the glass. Glass typically on buses of this era were stock with Sekurit glass and Sigla (safety glass) was an option. Mine being a walk thru had the one year only seat adjuster on the drivers seat, in as such as I have ever only seen 3 it is too a rarer item. The bus had the later rear wheel lips (changed in July)and outside vents the vents switched to inside in March 63.The 62 never had spoon latches and still carried the cloth headliner into 63. The cresent on the commercial hatch carried over into 63 as I had a og kombi with that hatch.The headlight housing that you see the back of inside of the bus changed to the new flatter and rounder shape. And as was pointed out already first year for fried egg turn signals on the front and larger plastic tail lights in back. The real year for defining new items and options is 63. They had the optional 1500cc engine for the first year which with the one year only big brake small nut trans gave a VW with this combination the highest road speed to date.
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
actually you have been tricked by a model difference. deluxes never had the indent. so I am sure the '63 that you are basing this on either was a deluxe or had an earlier hatch installed onto it.

also, my august 1960 standard has the indent.

I was basing it on those stupid articles in Hot VW's and experience from looking at different buses over the years. But today I was checking it in the first spec guide that came out, and I should have known you can't believe a word in that thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: